• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

Pneumonia

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Inspector Lewis

Eminent member
Hi All,

I have just been diagnosed with Pneumonia and prescribed a high dose of Prednisolone 6 x 5mg each morning along with Doxycycline.

Anybody had this Diagnoses and/or prescription previously?

Hello to all the old gang and new members.

Regards

calgal99

Eminent member
Hi, @Inspector Lewis. Oh yes, and hell yes. And I hate corticosteroids more than almost any meds. But they do work, at least if you don't have a bad reaction (iirc, a lot of people find that those meds make them irritable, or agitated. They just made me bloated.) And I am sorry that you are dealing with this, pneumonia isn't something to take lightly. Good luck, and keep us updated as to your progress!

Peace.

djrick

Exalted member
Hi All,

I have just been diagnosed with Pneumonia and prescribed a high dose of Prednisolone 6 x 5mg each morning along with Doxycycline.

Regards

I hope you are back to good health soon, Inspector.

I was told in 2017 that Zithromax is the only antibiotic that kills the bacteria in the fluid in the lungs that are present with a diag. of atypical (walking) pneumonia. The doctor said if symptoms re-presented or got worse to skip going to any clinic and go immediately to ER. I talked to a lady around that time whose 38 yr old cousin went to ER several years before, admitted to the hospital but passed away in the next 48 hrs with pneumonia due to not being treated soon enough.

Good luck and keep us posted.

grammy

Honorable member
Hi All,

Regards

So sorry to hear you have Pneumonia. Personally, I haven't yet but I did get the Pneumonia vaccine and that's a crap shoot. Also got the flu shot and was sick in bed for 3 weeks with the flu.
My son got it first and recovered in 6 days, DH 1 week and I thought I'd never get rid if it. I hope you feel better and better with each passing day.:yes:

Fond regards.
G

grammy

Honorable member
The sputum test I am guessing is for Culture and Sensitivity. It tells them what bacteria it is and what antibiotic will kill it off. If you have the option of recovering safely at home with help available, don't be admitted. Worked in the medical profession for years. Although most hospitals today have antibacterial dispensers in every room and they are monitored. If you touch a patient without using the sanitizer, it's a huge deal. They want hospital acquired illnesses
down to zero. Nosocomial infections( fancy name for hospital acquired )! So you come out with something the hospital environment gave you. How nice of them!!! I worked in the medical field and did hospital nursing in late 80's till 2000 and it was bad. Thankfully, the infection rate is way down now( But again, if they safely give you a choice, home is the place to be).
I hope to God I'm not scaring you but it's a reality. I want you to get better fast!!!!

Again,
G and I'm putting you on my prayer list:happy:

Danie

Exalted member
Sorry to hear about the Pneumonia, but happy you are feeling better. Did you go to dr for the culture today?

Take care of yourself. You need to be in tip top shape for any vacations you have planned!!!

Bawston

Eminent member
Sorry to hear about the pneumonia - glad you got some meds for it though because it's not something you want to mess with. I had it a few years ago and was on Zithromax. I've not heard of doing a combination of Prednisone and Doxy but I'm guessing they're trying to cover likely the strain you have. I've had doxycycline for a different infection and will say that one rips my stomach to shreds!

Good to hear your feeling better and hopefully you'll continue.

VEDA

Exalted member
@Inspector Lewis. So sorry to hear about your pneumonia. My uncle was in the hospital last week, with double viral pneumonia. I don't know what they gave him in the hospital, but I do know they sent him home with doxy. He

had lung cancer, many years ago, and they removed a part of his lungs. He's doing better, but it drives me crazy, when they give antibiotics, for viral infections. Now my aunt is sick. I'll see if she knows, what they gave him in the

hospital. Let us know, how you're doing. Please take care of yourself. I'm sure @grammy will be there in no time, to help you. Be well.

Peace

Inspector Lewis

Eminent member
Sorry to hear about the Pneumonia, but happy you are feeling better. Did you go to dr for the culture today?

Take care of yourself. You need to be in tip top shape for any vacations you have planned!!!

Hi Danie,

Feeling a lot better thank you, left me feeling a bit weak but no more lung butter ughh.

Hope you and Rick are well.

Regards

Lewis

grammy

Honorable member
How quick can you get here? lol

You are hysterical!!! Unfortunately by the time I get to EU, you will be up and dancing. No, correction....no dancing. Did they admit you or were you able to avoid the hospital drama? You sound perky and that is good or your a hell of an actor. LOL

Warm regards,
G

PS I did put you in my prayers and I think I may be Jesus's chief assistant now. No, I'm not a holy roller but I do believe in the power of prayer. I just retired last April after 28 years of service in many different nursing jobs. I absolutely loved it but I have rheumatoid arthritis and it kicked up in 2016. I was popping too many prednisone, not smart, lots of side effects but a lifesaver when you need it for an acute situation. Mine was chronic and I needed to go especially after my rheumatologist refused to sign my "employee may return to work paper".

Last edited:

Inspector Lewis

Eminent member
You are hysterical!!! Unfortunately by the time I get to EU, you will be up and dancing. No, correction....no dancing. Did they admit you or were you able to avoid the hospital drama? You sound perky and that is good or your a hell of an actor. LOL

Warm regards,
G

PS I did put you in my prayers and I think I may be Jesus's chief assistant now. No, I'm not a holy roller but I do believe in the power of prayer. I just retired last April after 28 years of service in many different nursing jobs. I absolutely loved it but I have rheumatoid arthritis and it kicked up in 2016. I was popping too many prednisone, not smart, lots of side effects but a lifesaver when you need it for an acute situation. Mine was chronic and I needed to go especially after my rheumatologist refused to sign my "employee may return to work paper".

Hi,

Managed to stay out of hospital and the meds have cleared most of it up, still feeling week, but managed a short walk today (it really saps the strength from you)

My days of being 'up' and dancing all night are long gone, 'it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night' lol (Excuse the raunchy humour, I'm not well lol)

Thanks for your prayers, it all helps.

I was on Prednisolone for 2 years for Polymyalgia Rheumatica and although it worked, stopping was a hard job, so my sympathy for your RA, the constant chronic pain is awful, especially if you have difficulty getting the proper meds and P/K.

I'm recently retired after 46 years so at least I only have my self to disobey, still obey my wife, I've been ill I'm not stupid lol

Stay well

Regards

Lewis

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks