Read anything good lately? (II)

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Demona

Eminent member
Why is the old thread closed? No interest? Waaa I liked it....

So has anyone read anything good lately????

I read Home Front by Kristin Hannah - amazing book, started very slow but really loved it. The Yellow Crocus was very much like The Help and I enjoyed it as well. Right now I'm reading Uncle Tom's Cabin for the first time ever with my son and discovering it's very interesting reading material. A little descriptive over kill in places but very intrigued by the story, though my son says all of the stories are too depressing and he's rooting for Eliza.

Demona

Eminent member
Yeah but not everything I read is favorite :) No I really don't do well when asked to pick a favorite book or movie or song....there's way too many to narrow it down.

LiveLoveLaugh

Eminent member
@Demona,
I just read a very good and quirky book called "May we be forgiven". I didn't know what it was going to be about so the quirkiness surprised me and I enjoyed it immensely. Long too. I read alot. I'm at work but if u r interested PM me and I'll list u a few good ones. What type of stuff so u like? Do u like weird, different books? Now that's a vague description. I need to goths my break is over. I have read alot of holocaust type books that are very good. Sarah's Key? Have you read that? Must go!

Demona

Eminent member
I am pretty random @Mlmk I read a lot of women's fiction, take romance or suspense by spells as both have stopped really feeding my interests the last few years - I will miss the other thread however because it got me interested in novel I would have never, ever found otherwise Memoirs aren't Fairytales or close to that title and I wound up writing the author and reviewing the sequel for fast reading rights. The books were amazing and so far off the spectrum of something I normally would have chosen or looked for.
I'm pretty picky with YA stuff - read Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, & Fablehaven (amazing series for Harry fans! along with Candy Shop Wars) so I guess YA has to mainstream for me to check it out - oh also the Percy kid books ;)
I don't do many classics however, with my son we do read a book together and right now we're doing Uncle Tom's cabin. I guess what intrigues me the most often is more of a general fiction that doesn't fit into a specific genre but tells an amazing story.

COSGringo

Banned
The Rebel's Hour. Explains a bit behind the fighting and killings in the Congo and Rwanda. Told from the perspective of a cowherder who eventually becomes a general.

Obviously now everyone's cup of tea. It's an excellent book though. It's not so detailed into the bloody parts of what has happened there. It's more about the ebb and tides of the people who take power, lose power, take it back. It's quite absorbing.

The Dutch journalist that wrote it based it on her dealings with the rebels and her acquaintances. It's very accurate from my understanding.

Another one that I mentioned before as people were talking about the movie is Winter's Bone. It's a must read.

A lot of the books I read are based on lists compiled as "must reads" of the last decade. Good for when one is stuck traveling.

Paichka

Renowned member
@Demona,

I never posted in the favorite books section because, like you, I can't pick a favorite. It depends on the day of the week or the month of the year. I read every day and my reading lists cover all genres. Sometimes I go for good literature and sometimes I REALLY need mind candy. I am not a usually a huge fan of historical fiction, but just finished a book by Susanna Kearsley, Winter Sea. It was really interesting to me as the heroine was a writer and was having the memories of her ancestor. I think that appealed to me because I have been doing genealogy for years and years and having an ancestor's memories would be a dream come true for a genealogist. The book was well written and very enjoyable - a little romance thrown in and well researched and accurate on the Jacobites who were trying to bring the exiled James Stewart from France to take the throne.

One of the best new novels I have read recently is The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. The story bounces back and forth between the present and London during WWII - mystery, thievery, murder, and romance with a fabulous twist. Really loved that. I have enjoyed all of Kate Morton's books.

I read the entire Saga of Fire and Ice series - the series that HBO's Game of Thrones is based on. Slow reading, long books, but I enjoyed them. Fantasy isn't usually my cup of tea, but these books mix the fantasy with enough drama and mystery and blood and gore to keep my interest.

I liked Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl - a Novel. The twist is pretty cool in that one but I have to admit that I saw it coming. Still, well written and clever.

That's enough for one post. I read a LOT! :D

Demona

Eminent member
@Paicha we are alike in that I too, read everyday. It is how I started writing and I think my faded interest in certain genres has to do with trying to write/craft my own novel in those niche's so I don't want to be influenced by anything when I have an ongoing project. After it's over I'll indulge my romantic side and go on a bit of a binge for a few months. I am doing the Goodreads challenge this year for 175 books because I put 250 last year and fell just a little shorter than I wanted to. I'll go easy on myself this year just in case :)

I have Gone Girl on the wishlist actually! And I think I have the Kate Morton on there too but if not I'm going to have to look it up. I have about 500 books on the wishlist ready to browse through when I go on book binges. Some girls have shoes...I have books. Eh, they just suck to move! I have probably around 500 in the TBR pile thanks to discovering some women reading chat groups where we swapped books. I quit doing it a few years ago but still buy at thrift stores, book stores, etc to add to it so it never depletes as much as I'd like it too. I'm making an honest effort with it though so I'll be reading a lot of older books this year rather than new releases. My Kindle was given to me last year at Christmas and always sits around 600 books but in my defense some of those are on my son's kindle which shares my account :) That's my defense anyway!

I'm anxiously awaiting the 26th even with all the other reading material I already have, I know I know - it's my true addiction right here. The @Paicha's and @Mlmk's enable me ;) Picoult's is already ordered and my Kindle is just waiting for release day to connect the wifi and dive in. I sure hope it's better than her last one, I did not care for Lone Wolf at all.

Paichka

Renowned member
I buy everything on my Kindle now just because SO many books take up SO much room. Used to love Picoult, BTW, but feel that she is slipping. She still writes well, but here her earlier books were much better. I like Alice Hoffman too and feel the same way about her books.

Writing a book yourself? I am impressed.

@Paicha we are alike in that I too, read everyday. It is how I started writing and I think my faded interest in certain genres has to do with trying to write/craft my own novel in those niche's so I don't want to be influenced by anything when I have an ongoing project. After it's over I'll indulge my romantic side and go on a bit of a binge for a few months. I am doing the Goodreads challenge this year for 175 books because I put 250 last year and fell just a little shorter than I wanted to. I'll go easy on myself this year just in case :)

I have Gone Girl on the wishlist actually! And I think I have the Kate Morton on there too but if not I'm going to have to look it up. I have about 500 books on the wishlist ready to browse through when I go on book binges. Some girls have shoes...I have books. Eh, they just suck to move! I have probably around 500 in the TBR pile thanks to discovering some women reading chat groups where we swapped books. I quit doing it a few years ago but still buy at thrift stores, book stores, etc to add to it so it never depletes as much as I'd like it too. I'm making an honest effort with it though so I'll be reading a lot of older books this year rather than new releases. My Kindle was given to me last year at Christmas and always sits around 600 books but in my defense some of those are on my son's kindle which shares my account :) That's my defense anyway!

I'm anxiously awaiting the 26th even with all the other reading material I already have, I know I know - it's my true addiction right here. The @Paicha's and @Mlmk's enable me ;) Picoult's is already ordered and my Kindle is just waiting for release day to connect the wifi and dive in. I sure hope it's better than her last one, I did not care for Lone Wolf at all.

Demona

Eminent member
@Paicha I wouldn't recommend her wolf book - I did a strange review on it after I read it letter style to her. There are a couple of wolf advocate groups that targeted it for false information as well. She still has her potential but she does some strange topics. Her autism novel was okay but the twist at the end felt almost like a rehash of something she'd tried before. I don't like to pay 9.99 + for Kindle books but Kristin Hannah and Jodi Picoult I will buy. Have you read Kristin Hannah? She used to do romance in her very early days but she switched to a more broad women's fiction format and her books are great. Home Front was amazing. I'd highly recommend it especially if you haven't read her before.

I have two novels out now, two novella's, and a non fiction resource for parents. It is a lot of work but I love it :)

DulyNoted

Exalted member
By Blood - Written by Ellen Ullman. A truly new and unique way to tell the kind of story that continually unfolds in a very gripping manner.

Paichka

Renowned member
Agree with you on Picoult's books and my favorites are her older works. I don't think I have read any Kristin Hannah but I will definitely check her out. I am always on the look out for authors I haven't read before so thanks for that. I will let you know if I remember or run across anything I have read recently that I loved.

@Paicha I wouldn't recommend her wolf book - I did a strange review on it after I read it letter style to her. There are a couple of wolf advocate groups that targeted it for false information as well. She still has her potential but she does some strange topics. Her autism novel was okay but the twist at the end felt almost like a rehash of something she'd tried before. I don't like to pay 9.99 + for Kindle books but Kristin Hannah and Jodi Picoult I will buy. Have you read Kristin Hannah? She used to do romance in her very early days but she switched to a more broad women's fiction format and her books are great. Home Front was amazing. I'd highly recommend it especially if you haven't read her before.

I have two novels out now, two novella's, and a non fiction resource for parents. It is a lot of work but I love it :)

tamula

Just "read" The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z) by Manuel Loureiro
I qualify the "read" - because I'm addicted to audiobooks. So I listen rather than read.

Great Read - alot of fun - something for everyone

What's not to like about zombies - ok, I may harbor a morbid desire to face the end of the world...

Last edited:

Demona

Eminent member
@Paicha I did have Gone Girl on the wishlist so I bought it while I was down resting yesterday after the first injection. It's been a bit different to get into but I think I'm where it starts picking up now. It's interesting.

LilacDay

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm currently digging into Les Mis....one tough read I tell ya :eek: I also read a lot of Nora Roberts, love how she's just descriptive enough so you can actually 'see' what's happening.

Paichka

Renowned member
@Demona, Gone Girl does start off a bit slow, but picks up as you go along. Hope you enjoy it.
@LilacDay, Hugo's Les Miserables is a tough read. I read it some years ago and felt that I had really accomplished something when I finished it. :)

Neuro

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm a huge Stephen King fan. If you start with Different Seasons you will be hooked. A random one I just read was Heat by Bill Buford. It chronicles his foray into professional cooking and rise to working in the kitchen at one of Mario Batali's restaurants. It's an interesting look at professional kitchens from the eyes of a newbie. Oh and World War Z is great! I highly recommend the audiobook.

DulyNoted

Exalted member
I'm a huge Stephen King fan. If you start with Different Seasons you will be hooked.

If you like Stephen King you might enjoy "House of Leaves" by Mark Danielewski. It's a very different kind of thriller. There's also quite a large following of the book as evidenced by the many internet forums dedicated to it.

naughtysmurf

Exalted member
@Paicha @Demona
I really envy you for reading every day. I used to LOVE reading but I've completely lost interest these last few months. I have about ten or so books next to my bed that I really want to read but I just can't get into it. I miss it a lot. Especially with my cat snuggled up next to me...ok,I'm rambling now. :eek:

Just wanted to add that two books that stick out in my mind when I try to come up with a favourite is Memoirs Of A Geisha and Where The Heart is. Oh and She's Come Undone...and The Deep End Of The Ocean..nope,totally impossible to pick a favourite lol.

Last edited: