Read anything good lately? (II)

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Paichka

Renowned member
@naughtysmurf, I can't pick a favorite either. If I sat down and thought about it for a really long time, I might be able to come up with several all time faves - IDK for sure if I could.

It is hard to concentrate on reading when you have a lot on your mind. Sometimes when I am in that situation, I will realize that I have read an entire chapter and have absolutely NO idea what I have just read. Sure hope that gets better for you soon.

My favorite book I have read lately is "The Secret Keeper" by Kate Morton. She writes historical fiction, but not traditional historical fiction. Her story lines go back and forth between the present and the past, with the past events having some connection to the protagonist in the present. Very clever.

naughtysmurf

Exalted member
@Paicha
The last books I read were The Hunger Games trilogy. The last one Mockingjay took me such a long time to read because I would completely forget the last few pages that I had read the day before and had to read it again! Now I need to read John Taylor(from Duran Duran)'s autobiography because it was a present from my brother(he had it shipped to me from Amazon a few weeks after my father passed to make me feel better and it means a whole lot to me) and he keeps asking me if I am enjoying it! I don't have the heart to tell him that I didn't even start it so I need to get it together!

Binky

Famous PRer
Hello @naughtysmurf. As time goes on you will find yourself able to pick up a book & enjoy it just like you always did. After my mom died 4yrs. ago, it was a good 6mos to a year before I was able to enjoy reading again. It will come back to you. I like the used bookstores so I would still buy lots of books even though I wasn't reading them. That way I had lots of good books waiting for me, when I was ready to start reading again.

DulyNoted

Exalted member
My favorite book I have read lately is "The Secret Keeper" by Kate Morton. She writes historical fiction, but not traditional historical fiction. Her story lines go back and forth between the present and the past, with the past events having some connection to the protagonist in the present. Very clever.

I'm familiar with her work and style. Michael Cunningham wrote similarly in "The Hours". It won the pulitzer prize for fiction in 1999 and I think was made into a movie. I never saw it but it was a really good book though. If I remember correctly it's about 3 different generations of women affected by a Virginia Woolf novel including Virgina Woolf herself.

Last edited:

naughtysmurf

Exalted member
Hello @naughtysmurf. As time goes on you will find yourself able to pick up a book & enjoy it just like you always did. After my mom died 4yrs. ago, it was a good 6mos to a year before I was able to enjoy reading again. It will come back to you. I like the used bookstores so I would still buy lots of books even though I wasn't reading them. That way I had lots of good books waiting for me, when I was ready to start reading again.

I hope so,Binky. I feel like the more books pile up the less I feel like reading though. *sigh*

Binky

Famous PRer
I hope so,Binky. I feel like the more books pile up the less I feel like reading though. *sigh*

What I did with my books that were piling up, was that I kept out one or two books that I really wanted to read & put the rest of whatever I bought in a box. I had a whole box of books to read when I was ready. It bothered me to see all those books piling up. It was much better to put them away till I started reading again. Hang in there naughtysmurf time does heal all wounds.

Paichka

Renowned member
@DevilishOne, "The Hours" was made into a movie and, if I recall correctly, earned Nicole Kidman the Best Actress Oscar to for her role as Virginia Wolf. Kate Morton's work is lighter - less pure literature. I am not explaining it very well. She is a very, very good writer, but here themes are not as dark as "The Hours" by any stretch and always have a happy ending. :)

DulyNoted

Exalted member
I know what you mean. The similarity I meant was the ability to concurrently have storylines in different periods of time cleverly connected by events. You actually explained it very well @Paicha - I was just a little unclear about what I found similar.

Neuro

Lapsed Senior Member
As it seems like there are a healthy nomber of science fiction and fantasy fans around here, I also have to recommend King's dark tower series. It is a must read for fans of his other work as well. The series ties nearly everything he has written together, so the more you have read the more you will appreciate it. It's as if he had been planning to write them his whole life.

Demona

Eminent member
@naughtysmurf I go through a little phase in the summer where I struggle when life is so busy to get something to catch my interest but I really liked Deep End of the Ocean did you know she did a follow up on the family? She sort of leaves them in this happy ever after place but the follow up destroys that illusion.

- - - Updated - - -
@Paicha if you like historical fiction I think your going to love Picoult's The Storyteller my only complaint about it was it sort of felt like something I'd read before yet different. It was about the Holocaust and it was nitty gritty - not her usual court room story.

Paichka

Renowned member
@Demona, I used to love Jodi Picoult and then it just seemed that every book she wrote was sort of like reading the same book with a slightly different twist. They are all well written but just became formulaic with the illnesses and courtroom dramas. I plan to read The Storyteller, probably next on my list. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I LOVE some of Stephen King's work and hate some of his work. IMO, he is an absolutely brilliant writer. Anyone who could weave all of the threads that he did into "The Shining" and "The Stand" has to be brilliant. My daughter loved the Dark Tower series. She reads everything he writes.

As it seems like there are a healthy nomber of science fiction and fantasy fans around here, I also have to recommend King's dark tower series. It is a must read for fans of his other work as well. The series ties nearly everything he has written together, so the more you have read the more you will appreciate it. It's as if he had been planning to write them his whole life.

Demona

Eminent member
@Paicha Yes I think we both said that earlier in this thread about her but she does finally step outside of her typical "box" with this I think. She interweaves the present & past very nicely as well. She again shines and challenges her readers to think about themes like forgiveness in different ways. THIS is what I wish Lone Wolf would have been - the writer I fell in love reading.

SpaceMatters

Renowned member
Morning Ladies,

Hope this has not already been stated, but I LOVE anything written by Jodi Picoult. Do some googling for more info. Don't start w/19 minutes as that book is too sad. The others are fascinating and she is the one author I can read anytime, anywhere, regardless of how I am feeling.

Her books do not need to be read in order either which is great.

Now for you younger or sillier readers, I love the Stephanie Plume series. She does need to be read in order and that's the character name. This is NOT deep reading at all but has some good characters, good laughs, cute guys, and is easy and fun.

Stephanie Plume is the character not the author and these books should be read in order. The titles are literally, One for the Money .... Two for xyz .... Three something.

Again due to my exceptionally poor memory I will again refer you to google.

My fav book which I read as a child was A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.

Books and music are two of my favorite things. In regards to books, I especially like series as one does not need to go through the process of remembering the characters. Lazy reader, I know.

@Demona, thanks for starting this thread up again. It's a great resource when one is looking for a new book.

Last edited:

TylerDurden

Anyone read The Dark Elf Trilogy by R. A. Salvatore? There's several trilogies in this series, but this is the best one I think. ^ Huge nerd.

Last edited:

Haley's Mom

Lapsed Senior Member
I love anything by Jackie Collins! I know some people consider it trashy but I read for entertainment. I recently read some books by Joshilyn Jackson. She is a new favorite for me and I really enjoyed A Grown Up Kind of Pretty and Gods in Alabama. They are mostly about southern women and that is definitely something I can relate too.

Binky

Famous PRer
I read a lot & have quite a few favorite authors. I'm reading "The Hot Flash Club" by Nancy Thayer. She writes women's fiction & most of her books are set on Nantucket Island. She is the kind of author where I reread her books. I also read books by:
Elin Hildebrand, Jodi Picoult, Luanne Rice & Jennifer Weiner. I am also into reading biographies of different rock stars. And of course, my favorites are my gardening books.
"

Haley's Mom

Lapsed Senior Member
I read a lot & have quite a few favorite authors. I'm reading "The Hot Flash Club" by Nancy Thayer. She writes women's fiction & most of her books are set on Nantucket Island. She is the kind of author where I reread her books. I also read books by:
Elin Hildebrand, Jodi Picoult, Luanne Rice & Jennifer Weiner. I am also into reading biographies of different rock stars. And of course, my favorites are my gardening books.
"

I read Summerland and I LOVED it. Such a good book there was never a dull moment and it really touched my heart.

Paichka

Renowned member
@SpaceMatters - @Demona and I had a conversation here about Jodi Picoult's books. LOVED her earlier work but felt she became formulaic and predictable with her plot lines. The writing was always good but some of the later books just didn't hold my interest the way her earlier books did. I loved "Plain Truth," "My Sister’s Keeper," "The Pact," (sad but really good, IMO.) I liked "Salem Falls," "Second Glance," and "Mercy." I really hated a couple of her books. Haven't read "Lone Wolf" and probably won't but I am going to read "The Storyteller" as soon as I finish the book I am currently reading.

One of my current favorite authors is Kate Morton. "The Secret Keeper" is her best, IMO, but I have read and enjoyed everything she has written. Another recently discovered author who I have enjoyed very much is Susanna Kearsley - all of books are very enjoyable reads.

Funny coincidence - "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is one of my all time favorite books.

Last edited:

sweeteeze

Distinguished member
I second "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn," and Betty Smith wrote two other books that I love, "Joy in the Morning," and "Maggie-Now." Her characters are human and the settings so descriptive, yet the plot is just normal things that happen to people as they survive their conditions.

I will try (at least once) any kind of genre. I prefer mystery or horror for light reading enjoyment. Literary novels if I want a challenge, and poetry when I want just to enjoy images and words. Sweet E