Read anything good lately? (II)

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

valhead

Distinguished member
@Sam Clemens how was Christopher Moore's new book? The last one I tried to read was The Serpant of Venice. Never finished it. He went way too far with the vulgarity. I found him when he first came out with Island of the Sequined Love Nun then read Lust Lizard Melancholy Cove and was hooked. I used to be on his chat where he actually joined. Taco Bob was a regular. Anyway. I think the language used to be fitting but he's gone overboard. Even being a church going Christian I thought Lamb was funny. Just curious what he's up to now without buying it and being disappointed. Used to make sure and buy hardcovers to support a lesser known author.

Sam Clemens

@valhead
The new one "Secondhand Souls" is the sequel to "A Dirty Job". The sequel was not nearly as good as "Dirty Job" which was a riot. I would pass on Secondhand unless you read "A Dirty Job" and want to continue with the story. His first, Practical Demonkeeping remains my favorite and Blood Sucking Fiends a close second.

ElSteo

Lapsed Senior Member
Anything by Greg Iles or John Katzenbach you can't go wrong with, my favourite Katzenbach so far is called "The Analyst" and another is called "A Madmans Tale". IF you have a kindle I would highly recommend logging onto amazon and searching for Conrad Jones, you will be pleasantly surprised. There is a double feature there and it is free. The first book is called "The Child Taker" and is an excellent thriller. It's probably the second best book I read this year. I didn't think it could get much better until I read the second feature "Slow Burn". I really don't want to give anything away on either of these books. Like I said when I read the first I did not think if could be beaten and Slow Burn does exactly what it says on the tin. It is also a thriller and it is indeed a Slow Burn. It's my book of the year. Don't have a kindle, don't worry, you can get them in paperback but you have to pay for them. I have so many books on my kindle that I downloaded for free expecting them to be crap and so far only one has really turned out to be.

Now I would also like to mention some of my other favourite authors, Graham Masterton, Jack Ketchum, Edward Lee. These are all part of the horror genre and can be particularly gruesome so if you're at all squeamish I would avoid but if horror is your thing then gt hunting.

Smash

Banned
I read "Shake it to the left, shake it to the right - now wash your friends' trousers".

Ok, it was crudely scribbled in permanent marker and written above a urinal in a local toilet/WC. But it make me laugh more than many allegedly funny books.

Ravenousbird

Banned
I read "Shake it to the left, shake it to the right - now wash your friends' trousers".

Ok, it was crudely scribbled in permanent marker and written above a urinal in a local toilet/WC. But it make me laugh more than many allegedly funny books.

Cheeky ...or would that be.... oh never mind, I won't use that word. LOL

Urinal.jpg

lesmiserables

Lapsed Senior Member
There is an upcoming movie for Matt Damon called "The Martian" after a book of the same name by the author "Andy Weir". I watched the first 30 seconds of the trailer before I stopped it. I didn't want to spoil it for me. following day I bought the book and read in two sittings. It's amazing. highly recommended. You finish it within the following two weeks then go and watch the movie. Double win!

My husband read this and said it was fantastic. Now he wants to see the movie. I'm thinking about giving it a go. My "to be read" list is soooooo long. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I have not read Flynn's new book. Gone Girl was a great read, I'll have to put the new one on my list :)

Right now, I am reading The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace by Jeff Hobbs. Excellent.

Girl on the Train = excellent read

I've enjoyed Flynn's Gone Girl and also Dark Places. Very, very suspenseful and addicting. I want to read Sharp Objects soon.

djrick

Exalted member
Hi @lesmiserables

Yes, Flynn is a talented writer. I haven't read Sharp Objects. Next up, X by Sue Grafton. I've read all of her alphabet mystery series with Kinsey Millhone. I'm looking forward to it. :)

AlmostRPh

Lapsed Senior Member
Currently reading a book on how to program in Ruby. It's not exactly your typical novel, but it's pretty thrilling nonetheless. Besides that, I'm also reading Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.

DulyNoted

Exalted member
I read "The Forgotten Girls" by Sara Blaedel. If you like crime mysteries this is a good one. She's referred to as Denmark's "Queen of Crime". Now that she hooked me I've got to wait for the sequel to come out in February!

Sara Blaedel, author of the #1 international bestseller The Forgotten Girls--which was roundly praised as "gripping" with "uncompromising realism" (Washington Post) and "tautly suspenseful" (BookPage)--returns with the thrilling next book in her series featuring police investigator Louise Rick.

THE KILLING FOREST

Last edited:

Vetivers

Lapsed Senior Member
I read a few self-help books here and there. Not sure if they do anything but I like the extra knowledge. I'm halfway through a mindfulness meditation book by Mark Williams. I like the topic and he seems to be well versed. Its all about taking yourself out of your head and back to the present moment. Great for chonic worriers like me. I am however having trouble with the actual meditation part. I'm used to the more relaxation centered meditations so trying to focus on one thing for multiple minutes a huge challenge. Great read though. I'm sure it'll get easier as time passes.

lesmiserables

Lapsed Senior Member
I read "The Forgotten Girls" by Sara Blaedel. If you like crime mysteries this is a good one. She's referred to as Denmark's "Queen of Crime". Now that she hooked me I've got to wait for the sequel to come out in February!

Sara Blaedel, author of the #1 international bestseller The Forgotten Girls--which was roundly praised as "gripping" with "uncompromising realism" (Washington Post) and "tautly suspenseful" (BookPage)--returns with the thrilling next book in her series featuring police investigator Louise Rick.

THE KILLING FOREST

There's a sequel to Forgotten Girls?????? How did I not knooooow this! Thanks for sharing the info!

djrick

Exalted member
Bettyville by George Hodgman

“No one kicks you harder than a pal on the bench who sees his chance to join the team.”
― George Hodgman, Bettyville

Jubba

I'm finally getting around to reading The Martian now. It's great, it has a bitter sort of comedy to it that I love. The science is spot on according to my friends who understand such things. And it just sucks me in.

Poink

Distinguished member
I watched the movie, "The Martian", and really enjoyed it. But the book was much better.

Cash

Exalted member
I actually read Crime and Punishment recently .......it was punishment even though Dostoevsky is talented. He's a hard read though

Last edited:

Mrs Parker

Exalted member
I actually read Crime and Punishment recently .......it was punishment even though Dostoevsky is talented. He's a hard read though

LOL with Cash! Yes, yes he is! :D Have you read The Brothers Karamazov? I have but it was many years ago. I remember it being slightly
less punishing than Crime And Punishment. :)

djrick

Exalted member
Just signed back on as I keep forgetting to add the book I finished over the weekend.

The Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll

Good book. IIRC, it has been optioned for a movie.

HER PERFECT LIFE IS A PERFECT LIE. . . An audacious, page-turning debut thriller that will appeal to fans of Gillian Flynn, Jodi Picoult and Lauren Weisberger.Ani FaNelli is the woman you love to hate. The woman who has it all. ...

bixby211

Distinguished member
These days I go for light and entertaining, usually in the mystery area:
Patricia Cornwell
Janet Evanovich
Dan Brown
Tess Gerritson
Todd Borg
James Patterson
Fannie Flagg
Lisa Scottoline
Joanne Fluke
Diane Mott Davidson
A.A. Fair and Earl Stanley Gardener of Perry Mason fame, who are the same person
Jeffery Archer
Perri O'Saughnessy
Scott Turow
David Balducci
Carl Hiasen

Jonathan and Faye Kellerman

As opposed to the old days of anything by Ayn Rand. Just wish I had more time to read more. B