Read anything good lately? (II)

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Waspleg222

I’m a lifelong reader. Anymore, I’m stuck reading Tolstoy. Even wrote my own dictionary for the worlds I didn’t know. Went to school for eng and got the degree, but really it got in the way. Poetry is another thing, though. I love me some poetry. I think when reading really started take its affect on me was Vonnegut. Since the, it’s everything I can get my hand on.

M77

Exalted member
I’m a lifelong reader. Anymore, I’m stuck reading Tolstoy. Even wrote my own dictionary for the worlds I didn’t know. Went to school for eng and got the degree, but really it got in the way. Poetry is another thing, though. I love me some poetry. I think when reading really started take its affect on me was Vonnegut. Since the, it’s everything I can get my hand on.

I read Vonnegut’s Cat’s Cradle, when I was way too young to fully understand it. I still loved it. Of course I read everything he wrote, and re-read them all when I was older. Just to explain how young I was, I read Catcher in the Rye, either right before, or after Cat’s Cradle. I was so young, I thought Holden’s sister Phoebe was pronounced Fobe! LOL. I think I was in third grade!

Gnome

The GoldFinch. I cannot say enough about this incredible book. Donna Tart is incredible with her multifaceted characters, the arch they are on, the beautifully intricate descriptions of everything from how it feels to be strung out to each curve of a piece of antique furniture. I adore this book. Highly, highly recommend.

So good.

My daughter just finished Little Life - and is now in the utter pit of despair that follows us all after reading it.
She was sobbing and demanding to know why I 'let" her read it
She is now also listening to the Smiths, lol

Donna Tartt is a treasure

Roccobigs

Reading "Bear" right now. Biography of Augustus Owsle Stanley. Dead soundman and also the Godfather of lsd manufacturing in the late 60s. Pretty easy read and obviously an interesting guy. Still blows my mind that it was legal when my parents were in their 20s! During that same era posession of a single joint gave you a few years in the clinker

Seychelle

Distinguished member
Reading "Bear" right now. Biography of Augustus Owsle Stanley. Dead soundman and also the Godfather of lsd manufacturing in the late 60s. Pretty easy read and obviously an interesting guy. Still blows my mind that it was legal when my parents were in their 20s! During that same era posession of a single joint gave you a few years in the clinker

Fascinating; got the ISBN handy?
S

Hopefully not a Twitter glib

> Read about Harvey Milk, sup of San Fran that got killed. Interesting Gent for sure

Last edited:

Roccobigs

Just check Amazon and use Bear Owsley book as the search. They had a hard time finding pics of him since he was adamant that no one pointed a camera his direction for obvious reasons.

Marcone

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm reading Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. It's a very nice book for those who have long-term goals.

trish5959

Honorable member
As I haven't been able to get back to the library for a bit, I'm rereading Scott Kellys very re readable autobiography that records his year on the International Space Station as well as his life in getting there. One of the great things is that Scott picked as one of his very few book choices to take to the ISS is also called Endurance, the biography by Alfred Lansing of Earnest Shackleton's truly epic and all but unbelievable voyage and survival in the Antarctic. Simply wonderful reads.

macy539

I'm reading The Talented Mr. Ripley again by Patricia Highsmith. I went through all the Ripley books in college. I love psychological suspense novels.

Seychelle

Distinguished member
any good books

Went to newly opened Library; Wealth of Nations sitting there, calling me.
:)
Read in the park, under a tree

Freedom at it's best:happy:

Last edited:

notcharlotte

Exalted member
i just read the adventures of roderick langham. i thought it was a contemporary of doyle and it has a few holmes/watson stories. the first story took me aback as it included the cthulhu mythos-maybe doyle read lovecraft? after watson did something out of character, though, i checked the publication date and it's modern. it's a very well done victorian pastiche (fooled me) if you're into that sort of thing, with some monsters included.