• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Sick of docs forcing us to do what we do

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

ladyhurting

Distinguished member
I had my doctor prescribe me tramadol in 1998 and say it was not addictive, she gave me 400 mg day- now I have to pull teeth to get 100 mg per day prescribed, and her latest thing is when I go in for my 3 month visit, she writes a 2 week supply. I don't like having to call back, so I don't. I order overseas and just get my 2 week supply every 3 months. But I am thinking of calling in tomorrow, it is better to have an active perscprition in case anything happens, or for international travel etc. Not that the US passport is worth anything anymore..but I digress.

First of all, I too was prescribe Tramadol many years ago because they said it was absolutely not addictive and you had to go through the steps of trying each “lower level” pain med before being prescribed effective medication. It never helped me at all and Since it wasn’t supposed to be addictive, I just stopped. Can’t say that I had any adverse reaction but then again, I wasn’t on it long.

I agree with you on making sure you have an up to date prescription from your doctor. I do the same with fioricet. If I should ever have a drug test, which they often do before surgery, you want to be able to explain what’s in your system. Also, many hospitals do an automatic drug screen for everyone who comes in at night.
ive been to the emergency room a million times, before and after the opioid epidemic, ive never one time been urine tested. ive even been rx'd while being on suboxone

being in the hospital and going through the emergency room are two different things though .

kinda weird IMO
Amen to that advice! Tramadol and myself.....we do not "work". My cervical injury is significant: occiput neuralgia, cephalagia, C3-C4 herniated disk flattened per MRI, myofascial pain: trapezius (both) and sternocleidomastoid severe pain, cervicogenic headache pain, impaired range of motion near the atlas/axis C1-C2 cervical spine bones and facets. Ouch! Plus migraine w/ nausea and vomiting. Not nice. Oh, let us not forget spinal stenosis, osteopenia (new!) and osteoporosis. Been doing some reading this past week. I must stay calm...... do not want the hassle of a stroke. Got too much to live for. Post-cervical fusion syndrome (neurosurgeon worked with orthopedic surgeon in 1998 because for anterior fusion...they needed to move my carotid blood artery to gain access to the upper cervical disk). My blood pressure goes up when my neck is hurting from that nasty injury.

jeopardyfan

Honorable member
I had my doctor prescribe me tramadol in 1998 and say it was not addictive, she gave me 400 mg day- now I have to pull teeth to get 100 mg per day prescribed, and her latest thing is when I go in for my 3 month visit, she writes a 2 week supply. I don't like having to call back, so I don't. I order overseas and just get my 2 week supply every 3 months. But I am thinking of calling in tomorrow, it is better to have an active perscprition in case anything happens, or for international travel etc. Not that the US passport is worth anything anymore..but I digress.

First of all, I too was prescribe Tramadol many years ago because they said it was absolutely not addictive and you had to go through the steps of trying each “lower level” pain med before being prescribed effective medication. It never helped me at all and Since it wasn’t supposed to be addictive, I just stopped. Can’t say that I had any adverse reaction but then again, I wasn’t on it long.

I agree with you on making sure you have an up to date prescription from your doctor. I do the same with fioricet. If I should ever have a drug test, which they often do before surgery, you want to be able to explain what’s in your system. Also, many hospitals do an automatic drug screen for everyone who comes in at night.
ive been to the emergency room a million times, before and after the opioid epidemic, ive never one time been urine tested. ive even been rx'd while being on suboxone

being in the hospital and going through the emergency room are two different things though .

kinda weird IMO
Amen to that advice! Tramadol and myself.....we do not "work". My cervical injury is significant: occiput neuralgia, cephalagia, C3-C4 herniated disk flattened per MRI, myofascial pain: trapezius (both) and sternocleidomastoid severe pain, cervicogenic headache pain, impaired range of motion near the atlas/axis C1-C2 cervical spine bones and facets. Ouch! Plus migraine w/ nausea and vomiting. Not nice. Oh, let us not forget spinal stenosis, osteopenia (new!) and osteoporosis. Been doing some reading this past week. I must stay calm...... do not want the hassle of a stroke. Got too much to live for. Post-cervical fusion syndrome (neurosurgeon worked with orthopedic surgeon in 1998 because for anterior fusion...they needed to move my carotid blood artery to gain access to the upper cervical disk). My blood pressure goes up when my neck is hurting from that nasty injury.
That all sounds very painful. I am sorry to hear. I just got a 2 week supply again with one refill- it's so crazy. I get that about every 3 or 4 months. I mean it's just not worth it.

UncleHorace

As has been mentioned, it isn’t the doctors’ fault that their prescribing records are scrutinized by an overzealous DEA under an ill conceived plan to combat opiate abuse. The answer isn’t crucifixion of addicts and cutting the supply to or issuing prescribing directives for doctors. Like almost all of society’s drug problems could more effectively be managed by investing more into treatment and education, instead of enforcement and punishment.
If you, like me, are tired of hearing that your doctor “doesn’t feel comfortable prescribing this type of medication,” be it for pain or anxiety or anything else, vote with this issue in mind.

nobknee

Honorable member
As has been mentioned, it isn’t the doctors’ fault that their prescribing records are scrutinized by an overzealous DEA under an ill conceived plan to combat opiate abuse. The answer isn’t crucifixion of addicts and cutting the supply to or issuing prescribing directives for doctors. Like almost all of society’s drug problems could more effectively be managed by investing more into treatment and education, instead of enforcement and punishment.
If you, like me, are tired of hearing that your doctor “doesn’t feel comfortable prescribing this type of medication,” be it for pain or anxiety or anything else, vote with this issue in mind.

No, it's not the fault of doctors that the DEA---and, really, to an equal or greater extent, the CDC---have lied to the public that an illicit fentanyl problem is really a prescription painkiller problem. But doctors have, by and large, either sat on their hands and gone along with it, or they're True Believers who are as eager as any federal cop to upschedule prescription meds and persecute the patients who need them (and not just opiates either; good luck getting anything these days for anxiety or seizures or even a migraine headache).

They haven't just sold us out. They've sold out the handful of their colleagues who have tried to stand up to this by allowing other doctors' lives to be destroyed and not saying a word in their defense either. Physicians are a powerful, well respected profession. Arguably, THE most powerful and respected profession. If they stood up against this and said that prescription opiates are not the problem, this shit would stop. But they don't.

I'm not just blaming doctors here, but who exactly are we supposed to vote for to stop this? Most lawmakers aren't doctors. The average congressman's scientific knowledge could be written in the palm of his hand. Liberals and conservatives are united against opioids. It may be the only issue they agree on. (The occasional libertarian who thinks we should be able to have access to whatever drugs we want whenever we want them without regulation has no representation in the real world at all.)

So, who are we supposed to vote for to change all this? It's not on any party's platform. Even most minor, third-party candidates give lip-service to "The Opioid Epidemic." (Pity no one ever trademarked that phrase. They'd be rich.)

A lot of the most damaging decisions are made by employees in federal agencies like the CDC and state and federal opioid committees. Those are the people we need to reach. But it's awfully difficult to reach them when the majority of the medical community isn't willing to stand with us, even when they know millions of patients are suffering.

And need it be said that doctors did take an oath to put their patients first? The Hippocratic Oath no longer says, "First, do no harm," but it doesn't say, "First, save your own skin" either.

UncleHorace

No, it's not the fault of doctors that the DEA---and, really, to an equal or greater extent, the CDC---have lied to the public that an illicit fentanyl problem is really a prescription painkiller problem. But doctors have, by and large, either sat on their hands and gone along with it, or they're True Believers who are as eager as any federal cop to upschedule prescription meds and persecute the patients who need them (and not just opiates either; good luck getting anything these days for anxiety or seizures or even a migraine headache).

They haven't just sold us out. They've sold out the handful of their colleagues who have tried to stand up to this by allowing other doctors' lives to be destroyed and not saying a word in their defense either. Physicians are a powerful, well respected profession. Arguably, THE most powerful and respected profession. If they stood up against this and said that prescription opiates are not the problem, this shit would stop. But they don't.

I'm not just blaming doctors here, but who exactly are we supposed to vote for to stop this? Most lawmakers aren't doctors. The average congressman's scientific knowledge could be written in the palm of his hand. Liberals and conservatives are united against opioids. It may be the only issue they agree on. (The occasional libertarian who thinks we should be able to have access to whatever drugs we want whenever we want them without regulation has no representation in the real world at all.)

So, who are we supposed to vote for to change all this? It's not on any party's platform. Even most minor, third-party candidates give lip-service to "The Opioid Epidemic." (Pity no one ever trademarked that phrase. They'd be rich.)

A lot of the most damaging decisions are made by employees in federal agencies like the CDC and state and federal opioid committees. Those are the people we need to reach. But it's awfully difficult to reach them when the majority of the medical community isn't willing to stand with us, even when they know millions of patients are suffering.

And need it be said that doctors did take an oath to put their patients first? The Hippocratic Oath no longer says, "First, do no harm," but it doesn't say, "First, save your own skin" either.
That’s exactly right, in my opinion. And to offer an answer to your post, there is no good option for political leadership when it comes to this issue. Doctors are afraid to lose their licenses, politicians are afraid to lose their seats. We’re on this path now, and it’ll be 50 years before the federal regulations catch up with the medical science that promotes education over punishment. Jailing nonviolent drug users and denying patients prescription medications out of FEAR are cowardly punishments and far from a sustainable solution to the drug problems running rampant in the US

nobknee

Honorable member
That’s exactly right, in my opinion. And to offer an answer to your post, there is no good option for political leadership when it comes to this issue. Doctors are afraid to lose their licenses, politicians are afraid to lose their seats. We’re on this path now, and it’ll be 50 years before the federal regulations catch up with the medical science that promotes education over punishment. Jailing nonviolent drug users and denying patients prescription medications out of FEAR are cowardly punishments and far from a sustainable solution to the drug problems running rampant in the US

Most of these things aren't new though.They were true 30 or 40 years ago, when opiates were readily prescribed. Politicians have always sought to get elected. Doctors have always been able lose their licenses for inappropriate or excessive prescribing, although it's worth noting that not very many of them actually have. Few doctors have even had a temporary suspension of their DEA number. Are we really going to justify that they're literally killing their patients because they're scared of a strongly worded letter??

I'm not really letting politicians off the hook either. They may not have any knowledge of this when they seek election, but once in office it's their job to learn. But I will give them a mulligan for relying on the information experts give them. We can't really blame Congress for not listening to pain patients, when medical experts tell them those patients are really just drug addicts.

What has changed is what you allude to in the last couple sentences: Now we have this "War on Drugs." Before we can have people fearing unreasonable arrest and disproportionate punishments (and, really, WTF are doctors whining about?? They ought to try being a black man in the Drug War!**); before we can have politicians and law enforcement and the media all jumping on the anti-opioid bandwagon, society itself has to have a pretty unhealthy relationship to drugs.

**I never thought of like this before, but there's a racist, classist component to heaping all this sympathy on doctors who fear punishments that almost never happen, compared to the arrest rates and mind-boggling punishments that blacks have been subjected to in the Drug War. Almost no doctors go to prison; if black Americans were their own country, they would now have the highest incarceration rate in the world, a huge portion of it for drug offenses. Doctors aren't facing life sentences for prescribing for a handful of Vicodin, but black men really ARE facing life sentences for possessing a handful of marijuana.

Shock

I’m dealing with this exact issue. Primary psychiatrist retired and the replacements are not approving his dosing regimen with benzodiazepines, which I was on a maintenance dose at the same amount for years. Saw my general physician today hoping he could possibly override a very aggressive taper I was forced into. Ultimately his hands are tied and has to respect the psychiatrists decision since it is their specialty. He gave me a referral to a new psychiatrist and is personally calling my replacement psychiatrist tomorrow to try and help remove or slow down the taper as I’m in pretty bad shape right now. Another member accurately said this is why this forum exists which I can definitely understand. I have good insurance and haven’t previously had this particular issue and can definitely see why others that may not or can’t find a doctor that will adhere to a prior dose from a doctor that retired to seek out other options, sometimes unsafe and my result in an OD, substance abuse, or even their life.

marymary

For me it isn't the doctor, it's the pharmacy. Walgreen's pharmacist, who hassled me on a regular basis refused to fill after taking my prescriptions there on a fairly regular basis for a couple of years. I am now going to a mom and pop pharmacy with no issue, but I am nervous about it.

jaders

Exalted member
For me it isn't the doctor, it's the pharmacy. Walgreen's pharmacist, who hassled me on a regular basis refused to fill after taking my prescriptions there on a fairly regular basis for a couple of years. I am now going to a mom and pop pharmacy with no issue, but I am nervous about it.

I use a mom and pop place and they are SO great compared to any of the chains. I saw where all these big pharmacies' stock dropped dramatically the other day when Amazon announced their opening of online pharmacies. I wonder if they'll ship controlled stuff, but if so, that's another option. I won't mind seeing places like Walgreens and CVS go straight to hell. They have become fascist pharmacies and deserve to go down, imho... :mad:

Shock

I use a mom and pop place and they are SO great compared to any of the chains. I saw where all these big pharmacies' stock dropped dramatically the other day when Amazon announced their opening of online pharmacies. I wonder if they'll ship controlled stuff, but if so, that's another option. I won't mind seeing places like Walgreens and CVS go straight to hell. They have become fascist pharmacies and deserve to go down, imho... :mad:
Here here! Definitely have had though not very often issues with power hungry pharmacists. I always had refilled my meds around 28-29 days and got flack from a newer pharmacist saying it hasn’t been 30 days. I told her I like to fill my script a day or so early as I never want to be at 0. She refused and made me wait the extra day or 2. Fortunately I’m very conscious of what I have left so it really wasn’t an issue. However law says they are to fill at 28 days.

jaders

Exalted member

Here here! Definitely have had though not very often issues with power hungry pharmacists. I always had refilled my meds around 28-29 days and got flack from a newer pharmacist saying it hasn’t been 30 days. I told her I like to fill my script a day or so early as I never want to be at 0. She refused and made me wait the extra day or 2. Fortunately I’m very conscious of what I have left so it really wasn’t an issue. However law says they are to fill at 28 days.
What a friggin joke. Any other meds you can fill a few days early! Like I said - friggin judgemental fascists. I personally will never go back to a large chain pharmacy...

nobknee

Honorable member

Don't expect the Mom-n-Pop loophole to last much longer.

The Dept of Justice last month issued tighter restrictions on pharmacies prescribing opioids and has amped up criminal prosecutions against pharmacies. The major chains are all defendants in lawsuits in multiple states, claiming they helped to fuel the "opioid crisis." There's also legislation pending to allow them to refuse or partially refill without doctor authorization for broader reasons than currently exist. At this point, pharmacies are under a bigger legal threat than doctors have ever been.

The Mom-n-Pops aren't filling scripts because they care about you. The DOJ just hasn't caught up to them yet, and they're probably a lot closer to judgment-proof than Wal-Mart.

Two pain patients I know have been cut off just within the last couple of weeks. Not by their doctors, but by their pharmacies.

Ironically, it is still perfectly legal for a licensed pharmacy to send controlled substances through the mail, with a valid prescription, addressed to the intended recipient, and with nothing on the packaging to indicate what it is (so even the feds require good stealth!)

Bawston

Eminent member
This is an interesting article on a lawsuit that Walmart is filing. Not that Walmart cares about its customers, I think they just don’t want more lawsuits leveled at them.

“In an unusual move, Walmart has filed a lawsuit against the Department of Justice and Drug Enforcement Administration, asking a federal court to clarify the “roles and legal responsibilities of pharmacists and pharmacies” in filling opioid prescriptions.

“We are bringing this lawsuit because there is no federal law requiring pharmacists to interfere in the doctor-patient relationship to the degree DOJ is demanding, and in fact expert federal and state health agencies routinely say it is not allowed and potentially harmful to patients with legitimate medical needs,” the company said in a statement.

Walmart and other pharmacy chains are defendants in multiple class action lawsuits alleging the companies helped fuel the opioid crisis by dispensing opioids irresponsibly. They have also been fined tens of millions of dollars by the DEA for lax controls on opioid prescriptions. According to ProPublica, federal prosecutors in Texas even sought criminal charges against Walmart, but were overruled by top officials at the Department of Justice.

Walmart is the largest retailer in the world and operates over 5,000 in-store pharmacies in the United States. The company said it filed suit against the DOJ and DEA because it was caught “between a rock and a hard place” over opioid prescribing.

“Unfortunately, certain DOJ officials have long seemed more focused on chasing headlines than fixing the crisis. They are now threatening a completely unjustified lawsuit against Walmart, claiming in hindsight pharmacists should have refused to fill otherwise valid opioid prescriptions that were written by the very doctors that the federal government still approves to write prescriptions,” Walmart said.

“At the same time that DOJ is threatening to sue Walmart for not going even further in second-guessing doctors, state health regulators are threatening Walmart and our pharmacists for going too far and interfering in the doctor-patient relationship. Doctors and patients also bring lawsuits when their opioid prescriptions are not filled.”

nobknee

Honorable member
This is an interesting article on a lawsuit that Walmart is filing. Not that Walmart cares about its customers, I think they just don’t want more lawsuits leveled at them.

“In an unusual move, Walmart has filed a lawsuit against the Department of Justice and Drug Enforcement Administration, asking a federal court to clarify the “roles and legal responsibilities of pharmacists and pharmacies” in filling opioid prescriptions.

So....who published this article? Is this from PNN?

No, I'm not saying Wal-Mart does care about you. And it's kinda ironic after they put up such a stink about carrying Plan B and protecting pharmacists who refuse to sell birth control, but NOW they suddenly care so much about the sanctity of the doctor-patient relationship?? I wonder how we rank compared to a six-celled zygote. Or, y'know, a slut woman with an unwanted pregnancy.

On the other hand, Wal-Mart's got more money than God and may be better-positioned to fight this than anyone else. I'll take what I can get.

And they're not wrong. It's bullshit that they're being sued on the one hand for refusing to fill opioid prescriptions, and then sued on the other hand for filling opioid prescriptions. With both those lawsuits allowed to proceed at the same time, it does suggest that the legal role of pharmacists does, in fact, need clarification.

Last edited:

jaders

Exalted member

The Dept of Justice last month issued tighter restrictions on pharmacies prescribing opioids and has amped up criminal prosecutions against pharmacies. The major chains are all defendants in lawsuits in multiple states, claiming they helped to fuel the "opioid crisis." There's also legislation pending to allow them to refuse or partially refill without doctor authorization for broader reasons than currently exist. At this point, pharmacies are under a bigger legal threat than doctors have ever been.

The Mom-n-Pops aren't filling scripts because they care about you. The DOJ just hasn't caught up to them yet, and they're probably a lot closer to judgment-proof than Wal-Mart.

Two pain patients I know have been cut off just within the last couple of weeks. Not by their doctors, but by their pharmacies.

Ironically, it is still perfectly legal for a licensed pharmacy to send controlled substances through the mail, with a valid prescription, addressed to the intended recipient, and with nothing on the packaging to indicate what it is (so even the feds require good stealth!)

I've been wondering what stance the new Amazon online pharmacies will take on controlled substances. Heard anything about that?

Shock

I've been wondering what stance the new Amazon online pharmacies will take on controlled substances. Heard anything about that?
Hey Jaders! I’m not familiar with the Amazon pharmacies you are referring to. What are these or are the subject only to the senior forums? Thanks!

jaders

Exalted member

Hey Jaders! I’m not familiar with the Amazon pharmacies you are referring to. What are these or are the subject only to the senior forums? Thanks!

Amazon announced last week the opening of online pharmacies and the stock for CVC and Walgreens,et al plummeted. They’re sure to be completely legit pharmacies tho.
I just read that they will not deliver SOME controlled substances.

nobknee

Honorable member

Amazon announced last week the opening of online pharmacies and the stock for CVC and Walgreens,et al plummeted. They’re sure to be completely legit pharmacies tho.
I just read that they will not deliver SOME controlled substances.

Amazon's announced that they aren't going to carry any Schedule 2 pharmaceuticals. They sounded proud of it, knowing the pats on the head Bezos will get for "courageously" foregoing that market share to "not fuel the opioid epidemic."

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks