• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

So what's for dinner?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

somuchforthat22

Honorable member
yesterday i had a lamb vindaloo frozen entree from trader joe’s, five applegate chicken nuggets, an avocado, salad, cabbage, and an almond flour tortilla.

tycho

Honorable member
I like cooking enough for leftovers.

Got a good deal on 4 dark meat chicken quarters the other day (concession to the GF; I'm a breast man m'self). Fired up the gas grill (worrying that the LPG bottle might be nearing empty -- need to get my other tank [which is empty] re-filled) and slow-grilled those puppies 2 days ago.

We had the second set of leg/thigh combos tonight (slowly warmed in a tightly covered container in the microwave at low power) with steamed asparagus. Except for the lack of crispy skin, every bit as tasty and moist as when it came right off the grill...

LittleDabbie

Thinking about making cheese burgers for dinner, not sure got a pot roast as well but think its a lil too late in the day to bother starting that now..

tycho

Honorable member
Here's something rather different:

A buddy and I often go camping. He's too sedentary, and has put on the pounds over the years, so I'm happy to help keep him doing active things. And our camping often involves some hiking as well.

A couple of years ago we "kicked it up a notch" and started hike-in backpack camping. We schlep everything to some camp site one to three or more miles up a trail on our backs. We had to get some new, lighter gear because the Calphalon pans and Coleman camp stoves and coolers that are easily transportable in the trunk of the car just won't cut it when you are trying to keep a pack under 35 pounds (and simply can't part with the 2 bottles of wine -- each! -- that ya just gotta take along. At least the wine has been moved into lightweight plastic bottles).

Backpacking seriously impacts what you make for dinner. Stuff requiring cooling; things in cans; and things with a lot of water weight are your enemies. Sure, one could just buy the already-prepared (often bland, starchy and expensive) dehydrated meals and pour in hot water while you sit on a stump, but that's no challenge -- my friend and I are known in our circle of acquaintances for excellent (car) camp cooking, so we have to keep up appearances.

So, I made a tasty dinner during this last week's outing from shelf-stable, mostly dried ingredients (some that I dried myself). Here ya go:

Backpack Pulled pork Burritos --

- Flour tortillas
- Freeze-dried Pulled Pork (available in 2-serving packages from several sources, including Amazon)
- Freeze-dried Refried beans
- Dehydrated Cheddar cheese
- Dehydrated red bell pepper (diced and dried slow in my oven)
- Dried Cillantro (also home-dried)
- Dehydrated Diced Onion (McCormick's; from the grocery store)
- Mexican rice (Knorr)
- Dehydrated sour cream
- Cholula sauce packets (the only thing containing water, but they are small and light)

I rehydrated the pork, the beans (with some onion, which end up almost as good as restaurant frijoles) the cilantro, the peppers and the cheese and put those items in the tortillas. Wrapped the burritos in foil and warmed everything in a tiny backpack fry pan until the tortillas were a bit crispy and a bit charred on each side (easy when using one of those torch-like backpack burners). Made the rice on the side, rehydrated the sour cream, and served it all up with the Cholula sauce and some nice red wine. Pretty tasty, although the view of Lake Michigan from the sand dune we were perched on likely enhanced the experience. Or was it the 2 bottles of wine? :unsure:

Bellavista44

Honorable member
Threads that go on forever lol... I made speghetti tonight. I don't think I've found anything better for my family then semi homemade. Sauce in a jar, fry some ground chuck, onion, garlic and herbs from the garden. For salad, I stick with the crunchy iceberg and add kale to give it vitamins. I add tomatoes shaved carrots, slivers of red onion, grated cheese and dressing.

tycho

Honorable member
Threads that go on forever lol...

Yeah. But I only noticed it/started paying attention to it after maybe 10 years of membership.

I made speghetti tonight. I don't think I've found anything better for my family then semi homemade. Sauce in a jar, fry some ground chuck, onion, garlic and herbs from the garden.

Good call; excellent base. Some in a jar are much better than others. Neuman’s own used to be pretty good. Basic Prego? Maybe not so much. And the grandma of my Italian ex taught me how to whip up several red sauces from combos of tomato sauce and/or canned tomatoes plus tomato paste that is so easy, tasty, and cheaper than just about anything in a jar. Doesn’t take much more time.

For salad, I stick with the crunchy iceberg and add kale to give it vitamins. I add tomatoes shaved carrots, slivers of red onion, grated cheese and dressing.

Yum! Always looking for an excuse to have iceberg lettuce. GF hates the stuff so I have to get it on the sly...

tycho

Honorable member
Ended up have a cpl cocktails and mcdonalds.. god i eat like shit.. even told my doctor that once and he just laughs and says well ya look healthy to me!

If you only do that on occasion the quality of life benefit totally outweighs the health cost. 😁. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones who can do it all the time! Color me jelly!

Had me a fantabulous bacon cheeseburger and crispy fries (not McD’s, however) within the past week and I have zero regrets.

LittleDabbie

I try not to do it TOO often... Had pot roast planned but it wasn't ready in time and i was hungry after working in the garden so i said hell with it..

tonight were gonna have pot roast sammiches tho. mm so good!

LittleDabbie

I had Taco bell and a redbull which is a very dangerous combonation and i know im going to regret my choices tomrorow :\

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks