Songs that should NOT be played at a wedding!

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Miss Ellie

Didn’t we Almost Have it All?, Another One Bites the Dust, Lyin’ Eyes, You Give Love a Bad Name

Miss Ellie

You’re so Vain, My Best Friend’s Girl, Just a Jigolo, Why Don’t we Get Drunk (and Screw)

SCED

About 45 years ago, I made a living as a musician (guitar and piano) mostly because I could read music. You would be AMAZED at how many rock, folk, pop, blues superstars cannot read or write music. So while trying to hold down a day job, I also worked as a studio musician, very often just helping to get the song written down musically so it can be published and played.

I went to college at night and on weekends (living in the very diverse borough of Brooklyn in the 60’s and 70’s) I would get hired to play as a guitar player mostly with whatever band the wedding planner, the venue owner or the couple to wed had chosen.

Now when you look at my list, you might think “That’s crazy.Why would anyone want to hear a song by Billy Paul about him and “Mrs.Jones” cheating on their spouses? Well, sometimes the new wife was marrying a Mr. Jones and really didn’t pay attention to any of the lyrics other than “Me and Mrs. Jones, we got a thing going on.” and thus it would be added to the song list. I’d often suggest alternative lyrics just so no one would realize it was a song about infidelity-sometimes the band would agree, most times they played the original.

Linda Ronstadt’s hit song that propelled her to superstardom is about about a woman who doesn’t want to be “tied down”. “Don’t think I knock it, I’m just not in the market for a boy who loves only me.” Basically it’s a “Leave Me Alone” song. So why would a couple want this as a wedding song? Because it was the 60’s and it had a nice pop rhythm and usually there was some story about how the couple were listening to the song in an elevator and both started singing along which broke the ice and here they are getting married. Huh? Yep it happened a lot.

Don’t Fear the Reaper is truly a terrible song lyric wise, despite being the only pop song that featured the infamous “I need more cow bell” routine on SNL. The lyrics are, for the most part, obscured by the guitars and of course the cow bell. It’s not danceable. And I would always try to talk the decision maker into something a little more romantic. But we are now in the mid-70’s, and “Carry On My Wayward Son” wouldn’t work as #2,and heaven forbid I suggested “We’ve Only Just Begun” they’d look at me like I was the age I am now.
So fellow contributors, here are my 3 songs that, regrettably I had to play at weddings of various religious denominations, for people of various ethnic backgrounds and worst of all, more than once:
1) Me and Mrs Jones - Billy Paul (1972)
2) Different Drum - Stone Poneys feat Linda Ronstadt (1967)
3) Don’t Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult (1976)

Last edited:

jalo

Love stinks! Same old love. Before he Cheats. Irreplaceable. #1 Crush. Hot n Cold. I could go on and on. The most misused songs are One by U2 and Every step you take by Sting.
I'm trying to think about the lyric's to "Irreplaceable You", that sounds very endearing and thought it was a beautiful song! But maybe I need to listen to it carefully once again!

bamill

Mr C The Slide Man - Cha-Cha Slide because this song should never be played.

Gibson

Distinguished member
Fit And You Know IT - The Streets
or - Dry Your eyes mate - The Streets

Last edited: