Suggestions on what is the best way to learn a new language?

petenyc

Exalted member
I always wanted to learn French. Never had the time even after working with French chef’s and staff for a number of years. Drove me crazy that I could not understand them. Too late for that but not to learn it.

It’s on my “pre-bucket” list and I would like to get any feedback with old school or new methods.

snowy

Renowned member
I always wanted to learn French. Never had the time even after working with French chef’s and staff for a number of years. Drove me crazy that I could not understand them. Too late for that but not to learn it.

It’s on my “pre-bucket” list and I would like to get any feedback with old school or new methods.
I love the French Language...I actually saw a book titled "French for Dummies" once. You can probably find it on Ebay. (not saying you're a dummy pete :giggle:)

petenyc

Exalted member
I love the French Language...I actually saw a book titled "French for Dummies" once. You can probably find it on Ebay. (not saying you're a dummy pete :giggle:)
Might be............but forgot about that series of books. Thanks

jaders

Eminent member
Your local library will have lots of options I’m sure. Our library has an online database called Mango which covers a lot of languages and it’s accessible from home with a library card and password. I’m sure your library will have cds as well.

Personally I think it’s a lot easier if you do it with other folks tho and your local college probably has audit options and community courses for learning a language. ..

They say learning languages is very healthy for the brain too. Helps keep memory loss at bay. (Say what? :bigsmile:).

petenyc

Exalted member
Your local library will have lots of options I’m sure. Our library has an online database called Mango which covers a lot of languages and it’s accessible from home with a library card and password. I’m sure your library will have cds as well.

Personally I think it’s a lot easier if you do it with other folks tho and your local college probably has audit options and community courses for learning a language. ..

They say learning languages is very healthy for the brain too. Helps keep memory loss at bay. (Say what? :bigsmile:).
I gotta tell you the whole thing with "real books" never really entered my mind. After so many years working in the digital age, it's a lost art for some. 99% of the reading I do is online or Kindle.

First thought was to about Rosetta Stone, Babbel or other similar.

It might do me some good and think about books as an option.

sparrowed

I feel that immersion is the best way to learn a language. I have studied languages before via books and sparse conversation but was never able to achieve fluency until I moved to a location that spoke the language.

Marcone

Language exchange activities is really very helpful. Having someone to talk with could help us learn the new language faster. I'm into learning Spanish and not yet ready for a language exchange session. Hopefully soon!