Tapering/CT off Tramadol

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

luvspets

Eminent member
Hi friends! :hi: I just want to fill you in on what's been going on with me, so long story short....I am tapering off the Tramadol until I get to a low enough dose to jump off
and cold turkey it the rest of the way with the help of a natural plant called "Kratom" and when I feel well enough, wean off off that and no more Trams (or Opiates in general) for me!
Having gone through this twice before, I know that getting off the Tramadol is only half the battle! This being my third attempt, I am armed with lots of info, natural supplements,
family support and group support if I feel it's needed. Also I plan to begin some YOGA classes as soon as possible and go hiking with my hubby. (He’s a photographer and I’m an artist, so these hikes are much needed "therapy" in so many ways!) Failure is not an option!

I've done a lot of research and this link seems to have the information I need the most right now:
https://opiateaddictionsupport.com/how-to-use-kratom-for-opiate-withdrawal/

Has anyone else used Kratom to get off Tramadol or other opiates? Any info, suggestions, insights, or just to wish me good luck are welcome and are most appreciated!

*I'll check back later but eventually will not be on here much at all.

Last edited:

ethom

Honorable member
Neurontin seems to help me when I don't take tram. You may want to give it a shot.

All the best to you. It's awesome that you have your family support.

conflicted

Eminent member
I used benzos some too but Kratom and neurontin made the wds almost non existent (I used loperamide too). Try to get some benzo to help with the beginning if you can.

On the Kratom I used the red maeng da and got the capsules. I was in no shape to use the powder.

Last edited:

luvspets

Eminent member
Thanks for the replies! I've been on Tram for about 7-years with my dose gradually increasing to about 5-6 100mg pills at the most, although not daily.
Unfortunately I didn't totally stick to my planned taper and only have 8 of the 100mg pills left. I'm trying to decide if I should order a small amount or make the 8-pills last
and just get it over with! :worried:
I'm good with the benzos but have to try to limit myself to my prescribed dose.

@conflicted, I ended up with the Red Bali Kratom powder and it is disgusting tasting no matter what I mix it with...something along the line of drinking fresh mowed grass and cow manure maybe? :puke:
I finally got down a tsp. full the other day and really didn't feel like it did much for me, although I'm not in full blown WDs yet so maybe that had something to do with it, not sure.
I never thought to order the capsules so will check into that! Is there a preferred site to order from and how many capsules is recommended?

Heymirth

Lapsed Senior Member
I would try your best to take those 8 pills and cut them in half and only do 200 the first day and then 2 days at 100 and then get them down to 50mg and see if you can handle the anxiety from there. It’s a little fast of a taper —. You need at least a week at 50mg/day to jump off with 3 bad days of WD
If you can control your intake - try to order 30 pills and then taper slowly

All the best to you
m

songsiren

Distinguished member
Hi @luvspets Ive used topextracts for capsules. They have them prefilled for you. I tried to do the whole fill the empty capsules myself with the powder. I didn't do very well. Just made a mess. :) other's my have a better site just thought I'd share mine. Best of luck to you. Take care. Song

Last edited:

luvspets

Eminent member
@songsiren, you must have been reading my mind as I've been trying to decide if I wanted to buy empty caps and fill them with the Kratom I bought, LOL! Glad I'm not the only one!
Thanks for the site info and I will check that out!

I am down to 2-Trams now and, of course, freaking out! Nothing new though as I seem to have been in some state of "freak out" since I decided to do this taper!
Thing is, I'm not new to this and have been down this road several times before. Yes, I know that should tell me something but my dumb arse just can't decide if I still really want to quit
that bad. Crazy, huh?
Now, if I could just get my head in the game and realize I have so many more good reasons to quit than reasons not to, I would be much better! Unfortunately, my head is definitely
not in the game. Thinking maybe it's an age thing as it seemed much easier when I was younger and in better health, but don't quote me on that.
I thought I had this all figured out but apparently forgot a few things...like the one where I have an "angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other" part, and for the life of me all of
the "pump you up phrases" I learned in NA just seem like total BS at the moment. Who in the hell "fakes it till they make it" anyway? Sheesh! :confused:
OK, sorry for rambling here...my seasonal depression is kicking in big time along with everything else!

Stevo2

Eminent member
@luvspets - all the best, whatever you do. My advice would be to jump off and quit tomorrow. No matter how low your dose, or how many other cover ups like Kratom you use, it won't be fun or easy. But, you're tough, and you can do it. Even if you're a bit older than last time. I just jumped off of 1200 mgs per day cold turkey a few weeks ago. About my 20th time quitting CT, but this time from the highest dose and longest without a break. It was awful, but once again, I got through. Kratom can potentially ease things a bit. But, be careful. Don't wind up switching to a different addiction. My personal experience with Kratom is that it's gross to take, you have to take a ton of it to feel its effects, and it has side effects and addiction potential. Also keep in mind that tramadol withdrawal is so much worse than other opiate WDs because of the SNRI/anti-depressant properties of it. Kratom might help with the opiate WD piece, but perhaps not all the AD pain.

Making a "safe time" for 3-4 days during the first part of the WD is key, meaning you don't have to do much or say much and can be in bed as much as needed. Then exercise, diet, hydration, and trying to do what you love for the weeks and months to come. That's the best I can figure out. Nearly four weeks later though, and I still feel tired, zapped, heavy, etc. Ugh. Hope you knock it out of the park.

Or, if you decide to keep on it awhile longer, no shame here. The devil shoulder got louder for me with time and age too!

@songsiren, you must have been reading my mind as I've been trying to decide if I wanted to buy empty caps and fill them with the Kratom I bought, LOL! Glad I'm not the only one!
Thanks for the site info and I will check that out!

I am down to 2-Trams now and, of course, freaking out! Nothing new though as I seem to have been in some state of "freak out" since I decided to do this taper!
Thing is, I'm not new to this and have been down this road several times before. Yes, I know that should tell me something but my dumb arse just can't decide if I still really want to quit
that bad. Crazy, huh?
Now, if I could just get my head in the game and realize I have so many more good reasons to quit than reasons not to, I would be much better! Unfortunately, my head is definitely
not in the game. Thinking maybe it's an age thing as it seemed much easier when I was younger and in better health, but don't quote me on that.
I thought I had this all figured out but apparently forgot a few things...like the one where I have an "angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other" part, and for the life of me all of
the "pump you up phrases" I learned in NA just seem like total BS at the moment. Who in the hell "fakes it till they make it" anyway? Sheesh! :confused:
OK, sorry for rambling here...my seasonal depression is kicking in big time along with everything else!

luvspets

Eminent member
Thank you @Stevo2 and Congrats! I know you've been trying to quit the evil Tram-devil for awhile too! I actually feel like I did better a few years back
when I went CT, although I think it was more my state of mind at the time, not sure.
I will get this figured out, but going to try sticking to a very small taper first and focus on my health...physically and mentally!

songsiren

Distinguished member
@luvspets, I think you will do great no matter what kind of taper or remedies you take/do. It sounds like you are so ready and I wish you all the best and good ju ju you need to get thru it.

I still take tram, and try to keep it at as low of a dose as possible. But it always seems to creep up on me and I need more. It's a vicious cycle for sure.

Take care and best of luck to you! :):shine:

Denman

Eminent member
All the best to you @luvspets I've had to kick the opiate monkey off my back before, I takes a lot of mental strength. That said if you're determined to do it, you will. Seems like you have a lot of support, more than most even, I'm sure you'll be just fine.
Good luck and hope you're tram free soon! :)

Den

luvspets

Eminent member
@songsiren and @Denman, thank you and yes, I'm definitely ready, but my willpower isn't as strong as it used to be.
One day I'm feeling positive and ready to kick butt, then the next day I'm trying to justify staying on them. It's crazy!
I am very grateful for the support I get, especially from my hubby, and willing to go to meetings if a time comes when I feel I really need them. (I'm not that big of a meetings fan, but I know how useful they can be so I would just make myself go.)
I'm also grateful for the support and thoughtful words I get here too!

luvspets

Eminent member
Thank you, @Raspberry and @pearlsjam, apparently I'm much better at talking the talk rather than walking the walk, if that makes any sense! :(
I went into this taper with all the best intentions but just cannot seem to stick to it and quite honestly, with my health the way
it is, I don't feel I can completely stop at this time. That is why I've decided to try to hold the taper and focus on my health so I
can eventually begin lowering my dose again and quit, but with a healthier body and state of mind.
It does, however, sound like I am only trying to justify staying on the Trams longer and I know that! I've played the scenario over
and over in my mind and this is the one that seems to give me more hope of getting back to myself, so this is the road I'm taking
for now...be it wrong or not.

Believe me, getting in a healthier state is a job all in itself as the Trams gave me permission to pursue all kinds of crappy bad habits!
From crazy sleeping habits to isolating myself, I definitely have a lot to work on! Heading back into a taper with at least some of these
issues off my plate just seems more positive.

Oh, and for piece of mind, I need to apologize for my negative rant on NA! It is the very sayings I was making fun of that have helped
so many people, including myself.
I'm definitely not giving up....Let's just say I'm still a work in progress!

Ravenousbird

Banned
Thank you, @Raspberry and @pearlsjam, apparently I'm much better at talking the talk rather than walking the walk, if that makes any sense! :(
I went into this taper with all the best intentions but just cannot seem to stick to it and quite honestly, with my health the way
it is, I don't feel I can completely stop at this time. That is why I've decided to try to hold the taper and focus on my health so I
can eventually begin lowering my dose again and quit, but with a healthier body and state of mind.
It does, however, sound like I am only trying to justify staying on the Trams longer and I know that! I've played the scenario over
and over in my mind and this is the one that seems to give me more hope of getting back to myself, so this is the road I'm taking
for now...be it wrong or not.

Believe me, getting in a healthier state is a job all in itself as the Trams gave me permission to pursue all kinds of crappy bad habits!
From crazy sleeping habits to isolating myself, I definitely have a lot to work on! Heading back into a taper with at least some of these
issues off my plate just seems more positive.

Oh, and for piece of mind, I need to apologize for my negative rant on NA! It is the very sayings I was making fun of that have helped
so many people, including myself.
I'm definitely not giving up....Let's just say I'm still a work in progress!

Please go easy on yourself and resist piling on expectations that will only make you feel like a failure.

Moderation is difficult enough, and if you do have a physical / mental / medical need for the Tramadol, then NA, AA and the like will not work for you.

In my practise, I have encountered many people in those 12 step meetings that are very judgemental. It may be what they needed, but nothing in life, including physical dependency and / or addition are a one size fits all scenerio (dependency and addiction are quite often 2 entirely different issues and it takes experience combined with true empathy to discern the differences, not judgement).

Set small, achieveable goals. Keep a small journal to write how you are feeling. My suggestion would be to pour your heart into it. It will be very useful. Don't worry about spelling, grammar, or what anyone in any group would or wouldn't say. This is your journey to find what works.

After the hit and run I survived a little over a year ago, I continued my psychiatric / integrative psychotherapy degrees. I found myself in an interesting place where I suddenly realised how judgemental many "god centered" 12 step people can be. NOT all, but many. What worked back in 1930's America, does not work well for many now, given the world we live in.

Go easy and you will find your way. It will be a journey of hills and valleys.

Listen to your heart.

I honestly believe the opposite of addiction is not sobriety, but connection. With true connection, we heal.

But remember, it takes times, a lot of time. It is very important not to say to yourself, "Well, here I go again. I'm a failure." Change takes time, and we learn by doing, not by saying.

I hope I am making some sense as it's difficult to communicate here at times.

All my best wishes. RB

- - - Updated - - -

Pfffffft.

And enemas cause brain damage.

That's about as much sense as that makes.

- - - Updated - - -

I would try your best to take those 8 pills and cut them in half and only do 200 the first day and then 2 days at 100 and then get them down to 50mg and see if you can handle the anxiety from there. It’s a little fast of a taper —. You need at least a week at 50mg/day to jump off with 3 bad days of WD
If you can control your intake - try to order 30 pills and then taper slowly

All the best to you
m

Are you suggesting a taper from 7 years of Tramadol that quickly?

If that's the case, please do NOT do that.

7 years is a long time. Your body and your brain needs to re-establish itself and that will NOT be done that quickly and could easily end you up in hospital.

If it had been 3 months, I'd say, give it a try, but it will be challenging, but under no circumstances is that a wise suggestion to make.

I mean no disrespect. Medically speaking it is a recipe for disaster. Without even accounting for age of @luvspets, that is too drastic and as we get past our early 20's, the body simply does not rebound from having a chemical given to it and just start producing what is now missing naturally.

DulyNoted

Exalted member
Just another opinion/take about the tramadol. It's a complex medication with multiple effects. (opioid pain relief, SNRI qualities as well as being in the "benzenoid class") It affects everyone differently and is typically unpredictable when stopping. For these reasons IMHO I wouldn't try any "substitution methods". Instead take it slow and easy with a long taper. If it is at all possible, just make each day better by reducing or staying steady.