Tapering/CT off Tramadol

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

luvspets

Eminent member
@Brianna9...I don't know where this "strength" is coming from, but it seems to come at times in my life when I find myself at the lowest point.
I've never been a very religious person but I do believe in a higher power...maybe it is God? Maybe he's the one who keeps smacking me upside
the head telling me to keep doing the right thing...that I am worth it or that maybe I have some purpose still left here that is unknown at this time?
I know I have needed a lot of help through this but it seems all those I once counted on for support just don't have the time or are dealing with
issues themselves. I am speaking of loved ones there, and many problems that have added up over the years...and now that my foggy brain is waking
up more each day I am struggling to cope with what an apparent mess I've made of things. :sad: I can forgive myself and continue to stay on the
right path but without any forgiveness or hope for a better future from my loved one, I'm feeling pretty lost here.
Sorry for the negativity...it's been a rough week and an emotionally exhausting weekend...But I am trying to keep faith in "tomorrow"...I have to
believe it will get better and I won't give up trying to make it better!
*Even if my life seems to have become like the lyrics in some stupid country western song, LOL! :tongueout: {By damn, at least I still have my sense of humor!}
How about “Drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of life” for starters? Yee-frickin'-Haw!!

Last edited:

Brianna9

Eminent member
When Im totally off usually because I run out I also see the messes I made a little too clearly.Just remember it will pass, people come around and once u are strong enough U may be able to help them out. Stay strong you are worth it.

snowy

Renowned member
From what I read on PR, I think a lot of people want to stop taking Tramadol but are deathly afraid of withdrawls.
So they keep going and going, getting more frantic because it's harder to find decent vendors lately.

The best thing to do is a slow taper. I've read posts where people say they tapered over 1 to 2 years.
Also, if you type "Tramadol taper" or "Tramadol withdrawl" in the search box, there are a million threads on how people have
handled it and their suggestions as to what worked for them.

(stay strong @luvspets!)

luvspets

Eminent member
From what I read on PR, I think a lot of people want to stop taking Tramadol but are deathly afraid of withdrawls.
So they keep going and going, getting more frantic because it's harder to find decent vendors lately.

The best thing to do is a slow taper. I've read posts where people say they tapered over 1 to 2 years.
Also, if you type "Tramadol taper" or "Tramadol withdrawl" in the search box, there are a million threads on how people have
handled it and their suggestions as to what worked for them.

(stay strong @luvspets!)
@snowy...I know for a fact the amount of people wanting to quit Tram is staggering...and not just here at PR, but on other forums. It's really not something new either, but is
definitely increasing due to how difficult it is becoming to buy safely these days or with the ease that we once did.
Withdrawals suck, and yes, they are scary...and I know everyone is different, but it really hasn't been as "hellish" as I was lead to believe or even much worse than the Vicodin WDs I
went through many years ago. The "mental part" seems worse but I think that is due to the SSRI properties {?} of this med and surely the fact that I am also going through several personal
problems as well isn't helping matters any.
When I went off the Vicodin many years ago I was a young stay at home mother with the love and support of my family. That is something I don't exactly have right now and it's made a huge
difference. There are also a few other factors at play as well but I just can't go into them.

I did try tapering early on, but felt it wasn't working so I decided to try a slower taper. I think the fact that I didn't take Tram every day, but only as needed with some admitted "over indulgence" at times
made it more difficult.....then the scamming began, and after going without for several weeks and always the fear of getting caught, I CTed it out, using Kratom and whatever strengths I could summon.
I have a doctor's apt coming up soon and still throwing around the idea of asking for something to take with my prescribed anxiety med that might help with the depression, etc symptoms. It is worrisome for
me though, especially with all the new laws doctors have had placed upon them. He is a good, compassionate doctor though, and I don't think I can consciously sit there and tell him "everything is just fine"
this time when it is definitely NOT.

notcharlotte

Exalted member
my son is quitting right now, @luvspets, but he doesn't believe me when i tell him about the antidepressant quality of tram. he went down to 1 pill a day and is now out. the issue he sees is coping with pain, plus he gets gout flares. so we'll see.

lots of people online got on the tram train for reasons other than pain. when you add pain to quitting, though, you have a problem with pain management. have you considered going to a pm? fibro is no joke and most people rely on some med. as for an antidepressant, effexor is very similar to tram in the way it works on the brain. pristiq is a newer version. so either of those might help with depression and even wds.

whatever you decide, you can do it! however, using a med to improve the quality of your life is not a moral failure. you just have to be in control. you use the med. it shouldn't use you.

you are being too hard on yourself. you are making an impressive effort and i'm proud of you.

yellnhollar

Honorable member
@Brianna9...I don't know where this "strength" is coming from, but it seems to come at times in my life when I find myself at the lowest point.
I've never been a very religious person but I do believe in a higher power...maybe it is God? Maybe he's the one who keeps smacking me upside
the head telling me to keep doing the right thing...that I am worth it or that maybe I have some purpose still left here that is unknown at this time?
I know I have needed a lot of help through this but it seems all those I once counted on for support just don't have the time or are dealing with
issues themselves. I am speaking of loved ones there, and many problems that have added up over the years...and now that my foggy brain is waking
up more each day I am struggling to cope with what an apparent mess I've made of things. :sad: I can forgive myself and continue to stay on the
right path but without any forgiveness or hope for a better future from my loved one, I'm feeling pretty lost here.
Sorry for the negativity...it's been a rough week and an emotionally exhausting weekend...But I am trying to keep faith in "tomorrow"...I have to
believe it will get better and I won't give up trying to make it better!
*Even if my life seems to have become like the lyrics in some stupid country western song, LOL! :tongueout: {By damn, at least I still have my sense of humor!}
How about “Drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of life” for starters? Yee-frickin'-Haw!!

You are worth it, we are all worth so much more then we know.

dirtdevil9

Distinguished member
I too have been trying to get off by tapering. It isn't going too well. My husband was asking me why I kept having the cold/flu for over 2 weeks, I had cramps in my arms and legs, especially bad at night! Pain all over my body, took tylenols. Mornings were hard to take a shower - I'd get cramps in my forearms. Yes, I bought Gatorade and various other electrolytes but this kept on. I've already had night sweats (my estrogen is normal) progest is low, but this took a whole new level where my entire sheets were soaked!

This when I went from 150 mg to 100 mg/day over 2 weeks. I'm back on the pills, just enough to keep me alive. Good luck to all!

trish5959

Honorable member
I have to stall my taper right now.
I'm having major melt downs because I'm moving and my daughter just married her 3 Rd controlling and abusive husband.
I am not quiting taper just stalling. It's a dog eat dog world out here.

Hope things are getting better for you @yellnhollar. Sound like a tough time you're having.

yellnhollar

Honorable member
Thank you trish5959.

I'm moving to a nice newer place where when it rains I won't have to put 5 bowls out to catch the rain through the roof.
I'm so fed up with where I live.
It's a big payment a month but everything is included except my phone and car insurance.

ethom

Honorable member
I also agree that tapering is the easiest way to get off of this stuff. I think the amount of time it takes to taper depends on your current dosage. A doctor can prescribe you an SSRI to help with that withdrawal but I also know this increases the chances of serotonin syndrome. For me, I think taking Zoloft helped me not experience withdrawal.

BUT...

I was off it for about 3 weeks when I became a bit suicidal. The Zoloft wasn't cutting it for me. So I'm back to 100mg tram daily. And it makes my life so much better. For now, I've stockpiled and will re-evaluate in another few weeks. I'm content with my 100mg for now. I'd rather be on 100mg of tram than have my family deal with the alternative. I guess we all have to make the best decisions for us. I do hate buying it and I do hate that no one knows I do it. The shame does get to me and that's why I'll take a break from it.

Mrs Parker

Exalted member
I also agree that tapering is the easiest way to get off of this stuff. I think the amount of time it takes to taper depends on your current dosage. A doctor can prescribe you an SSRI to help with that withdrawal but I also know this increases the chances of serotonin syndrome. For me, I think taking Zoloft helped me not experience withdrawal.

BUT...

I was off it for about 3 weeks when I became a bit suicidal. The Zoloft wasn't cutting it for me. So I'm back to 100mg tram daily. And it makes my life so much better. For now, I've stockpiled and will re-evaluate in another few weeks. I'm content with my 100mg for now. I'd rather be on 100mg of tram than have my family deal with the alternative. I guess we all have to make the best decisions for us. I do hate buying it and I do hate that no one knows I do it. The shame does get to me and that's why I'll take a break from it.

I don't have any advice or helpful input- just a hug of support and to say, "I get it."

jaders

Eminent member

BUT...

I just want to say that I hate reading that you feel shame for taking a medicine that makes your life better. It drives me bonkers that “we” feel shame because some arbitrary government agency has decided one drug is ok but another is not.

I’m guessing you are a responsible tax paying citizen who isn’t laying around in a drugged haze all day? It may be a hassle and for that some folks may want to quit, but imho we SHOULD have the right to ingest what we feel helps us and I urge you to drop the shame part if possible. It’s someone else’s agenda to shame you - don’t let them!!

I hope you find a peaceful solution for this. Cripes, any doctor worth his/her salt ought to see that keeping someone on a drug that actually adds to the quality of their life, or deny it to them so that suicide is appealing- are they that uncaring?

yellnhollar

Honorable member
I'm still at the same dosage which is about 1200mg less than what I used to take daily. It started to become an addiction and not a dependency. I had to stop the amount. Right now I'm getting by with the few that I take a day. I'm not going up in dosage because it can get out of control, for me anyway. I will start the slow taper again once I'm moved.
It's a fine line between dependency and addiction.

trish5959

Honorable member
@yellnhollar All the best with the tapering again once things settle down a bit. You can't do it all at once as we all know so just look forward to moving into a nice place and then think things through. All the best.

Junepei

I’ve been through tramadol withdrawal more times than I would like to admit so I know how hard it can be on the body and mind. I 100% support and applaud those who want to rid/wean themselves of this drug for it takes a lot of courage and strength.

I too have found Kratom to be a life saver when faced with the debilitating withdrawals of trams, but have found you have to wait at least 2 days after taking your last dose of trams in order to feel any affect of the kratom.

I’ve also used and had great success with loopermide as it takes away almost all withdrawal symptoms, however you have to take A LOT of them and will be without a bowel movement for a while : / I’m also told this method prolongs/lengthens the withdrawal process. Not sure if this is true though

mymesh

Honorable member
I finally stopped counting, but I believe I am close to a couple of months without tram. Kratom helps some, but it has gotten easier since I am not so hard on myself, not trying to be super human any longer. I had taken the tram so long that even my perception of "normal" was skewed. I am slowly trying to like myself for who I am, not who the tram said I was. I hope this rambling post makes sense. I know how hard it is to get off of it, and my heart aches for us all. I wish I had never been prescribed it 20 plus years ago. (hugs)

Juno08

Lapsed Senior Member
@mymesh reading your post gives me a little bit of hope. I've been on a really slow taper for about a year to a year and a half. I'm now down to about 2 pills a day, a year ago I was at around 4. Before that, was about 6-7 a day. It's going a lot better than I thought, but I'm also kind of stalled out right now, especially with the busy holiday season coming up at work (I'm in retail). Maybe in another year I'll finally be full off of the stuff. It's hard. I've been on this medicine for almost ten years altogether. I just want to remember what it was like to be just me. I have real health issues that'll I'll have to deal with (why I was on tram in the first place) but I know it's nothing compared to the freedom of not having to worry about taking it. 2 pills doesn't seem like much of an obstacle after how far I've gone down already, but it's still scary. However you've been on it twice as long as I have and that really gives me something to hold onto. Thank you!

mymesh

Honorable member
@Juno08 I understand. I have struggled with depression most of my life. I was prescribed the tram for pain, but the antidepressant part was what got me. Two a day is admirable. I promise you that the craving goes away after you stop it. I still think about it from time to time, but not like I did. It no longer has the all-consuming, "got to get the tram" control over me it once had. Good luck. If I can stop it, anyone can. (hugs)