• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

Tapering/CT off Tramadol

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

jlifeson

I know this is an older thread but, I am currently WD'ing from tram. My vendor didnt have it for over 2 months because of changing laws. They suggested tapentadol, so I researched it. I did order some because its "kinda sorta similar" to trams. More of the opioid and less of the SNRI IMO. Right now im a few days into it and feel decent. Sometimes great, sometimes not. I know Im just swapping one for another, but I didnt want to completely go cold turkey. About a year ago i ordered way too late and it took almost 3 weeks to get it. I was using small amounts of Kratom for the opioid WDs and a very low dose of serataline to help with the anti-dep part of it, and after a week or so I was feeling pretty good. I stupidly got right back on the train as soon as my order came in. Im sitting here debating ordering some more as my vendor got another source. Trams for me work great. There are side effects, but i take just enough to not get sick. I feel like the SNRI aspect of it is the harder part for me to WD from, so I was thinking of trying to get some SNRI's instead of ordering more tram, then do a really slow taper from that.

Zara

Honorable member
I’m curious, why did you not go back to kratom like before. I’m currently tappering from tram and wanted to try kratom but haven’t... fear mostly.
The SNRI is by far the worst part of tram I believe. you just need to be careful if your still taking tram and using it though. If I were you I would definitely try that route. It’s worth the try!
From research Effexor is closely related to tram but I hear either great things about it or horrible.
Best of luck to you. To all of us on the tram train!

jlifeson

I’m curious, why did you not go back to kratom like before. I’m currently tappering from tram and wanted to try kratom but haven’t... fear mostly.
The SNRI is by far the worst part of tram I believe. you just need to be careful if your still taking tram and using it though. If I were you I would definitely try that route. It’s worth the try!
From research Effexor is closely related to tram but I hear either great things about it or horrible.
Best of luck to you. To all of us on the tram train!
I had picked up more Kratom (a liquid tincture this time) and still have some SSRI's and was planning on doing that again, but my vendor contacted me that I could get the tapentadol quickly so I ended up doing that for now. On the tapentadol, I feel pretty good...not 100% normal, but most of the way there. The biggest thing is the SNRI type WDs right now: foggy head, headache, lethargy and mild brain zaps but nothing too bad. So the tapentadol IS helping. On one hand, if I could get trams ongoing, i probably wouldnt stop at this point because it does work well for me. On the other, it would be great to no be on anything!

jlifeson

Has anyone done something similar to get off trams? Use an SNRI and something like Kratom to taper down? The prices on trams now have increased significantly and still take weeks with shipping. Effexor and Kratom are alot less money and likely much easier to get ahold of. I could do a really long taper using those. Probably wouldnt feel exactly like trams but get you enough of the way there so you arent full blown withdrawing

Gullible

Exalted member
Have you tried cbd? Its legal and sold over the counter in usa
Have you had luck with that?
I have used it and its relaxing but it cancels out the effect I get from my medical mj so I quit using it. But many people say it helps them sleep, helps with pain and so on. Its totally legal here you can order it online

Synergistic

I used kratom quite a bit in those interim times I was out of tram before it became illegal in my state, and while it does help with the opiate wd symptoms (imo it feels like hydrocodone but a "dirtier" version if that makes any sense), it does not help at all with the antidepressant wd symptoms. Still get those awful brain zaps and restless jitters. Just be careful because kratom is easily addictive and your tolerance goes up fast and the wd from it I've heard is no joke in itself. Depending on the strain and the vendor sometimes I'd get really bad stomach cramps. It was a huge relief VS not having it, but it's not without its caveats for sure. Red strains are usually your best bet. Be safe!

ninja19

I know this is an older thread but, I am currently WD'ing from tram. My vendor didnt have it for over 2 months because of changing laws. They suggested tapentadol, so I researched it. I did order some because its "kinda sorta similar" to trams. More of the opioid and less of the SNRI IMO. Right now im a few days into it and feel decent. Sometimes great, sometimes not. I know Im just swapping one for another, but I didnt want to completely go cold turkey. About a year ago i ordered way too late and it took almost 3 weeks to get it. I was using small amounts of Kratom for the opioid WDs and a very low dose of serataline to help with the anti-dep part of it, and after a week or so I was feeling pretty good. I stupidly got right back on the train as soon as my order came in. Im sitting here debating ordering some more as my vendor got another source. Trams for me work great. There are side effects, but i take just enough to not get sick. I feel like the SNRI aspect of it is the harder part for me to WD from, so I was thinking of trying to get some SNRI's instead of ordering more tram, then do a really slow taper from that.
The SNRI is my biggest fear about quitting also. I have read lots of WD horror stories. It sounds crazy but I think I can handle the opiod wd but the SNRI is beyond scary... Our local Vape shops have all started selling Kratom so I might have to check that out

jlifeson

The SNRI is my biggest fear about quitting also. I have read lots of WD horror stories. It sounds crazy but I think I can handle the opiod wd but the SNRI is beyond scary... Our local Vape shops have all started selling Kratom so I might have to check that out
Originally i was rx'd hydroco for my condition and when i would go without, i would use kratom and (in my opinion) it would help with about 90% of the wd's. I would have a little depression, but not too bad and i could deal with it. When i am without trams, it is a double whammy. I caved and ordered more recently. Ive decided to stock up for a bit and then try a really long, slow taper. There will still be a piper to be paid of course, but with a long taper, it "should" be easier to handle.

Seychelle

Distinguished member
Paxil (SSRI) was difficult; horrible body convulsing and those dreaded brain zaps. Nothing compared to Effexor (SNRI), by itself. Toss in synthetic oppies. Tram is pretty sweet; WD is not.

Queens

Lapsed Senior Member
Been very seriously thinking about putting together a taper schedule due to price increases. Is that what most people do switch to an SSRI and get off the narco portion of the drug first. I once went cold turkey for more than a week and was finally starting to feel better. But a delayed order came and I ended up right back on it. I really want off but I am scared to try.

Juno08

Honorable member
Been very seriously thinking about putting together a taper schedule due to price increases. Is that what most people do switch to an SSRI and get off the narco portion of the drug first. I once went cold turkey for more than a week and was finally starting to feel better. But a delayed order came and I ended up right back on it. I really want off but I am scared to try.
I know this feeling. I just want to get off the stuff, only because of how hard it’s becoming to get it. But it actually really works very well for me. But you can’t get doctors to prescribe it anymore. I just hate that a medication that actually helps people is so difficult to get.

rhodes23

@ninja19

Kratom is good for the opiod wd's but not so much for the SNRI wd's in my experience

@Seychelle

How was Effexor for replacing trams?
I've heard both positive and negative reports

Kratom was great for a couple of weeks, just getting past the opiod wds
but a month later I'm feeling the need to boast SNRI or something.

Juno08

Honorable member
I'm interested in hearing more about Effexor too ^^ I've heard of this before, but never asked my doc about it. Do you have to be fully off tram first before starting it, since it's an antidepressant? The last thing I'd want is serotonin syndrome or some weird interactions. But I find this interesting.

rhodes23

I'm interested in hearing more about Effexor too ^^ I've heard of this before, but never asked my doc about it. Do you have to be fully off tram first before starting it, since it's an antidepressant? The last thing I'd want is serotonin syndrome or some weird interactions. But I find this interesting.

If you taper down to 50mg or less of the tramadol, you could then start replacing tram with a low dose of effexor.
I don't think serotonin syndrome would be an issue unless you were taking high doses of both simultaneously.
A doctor prescribing effexor could give advice on best way to transition from one to another.
I did read a case study recently where effexor was used to get off trams with no withdrawals.
But then of course there would likely be withdrawals involved in getting off the effexor
to contend with later if you decided not to continue it.

Juno08

Honorable member
@rhodes23 Thanks for the response. Of course I would consult a doctor, 100%. But I may look into this further. Maybe that would help me getting off of them without withdrawing, which is the hardest part to contend with. Especially when you work full-time in a demanding job. Thanks for the input!!

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks