• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

The Great Jazz Thread

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

WhatWeDoIsSecret

Distinguished member
Lotta music lovers here, I figured maybe we diversify a little. Maybe I'll be the only one to post here, who knows.

I like a lotta types of music, mostly punk and alternative stuff, but I'm also an amateur jazzhead. Been learning the ins and outs on guitar, not too easy. Has given me a new appreciation.

I dig bop, post-bop, and fusion mostly, so that's what I know and shall post, but I also like a lot of crossover stuff like bluegrass-jazz, hip hop-jazz, etc. So post whatever you want as long as it is sorta jazz related I guess. I'm mostly looking to expand my horizons and see what you fine people like.

Personally I would not feel right starting it off with anybody besides this guy:

Brak

Exalted member
Lotta music lovers here, I figured maybe we diversify a little. Maybe I'll be the only one to post here, who knows.

I like a lotta types of music, mostly punk and alternative stuff, but I'm also an amateur jazzhead. Been learning the ins and outs on guitar, not too easy. Has given me a new appreciation.

I dig bop, post-bop, and fusion mostly, so that's what I know and shall post, but I also like a lot of crossover stuff like bluegrass-jazz, hip hop-jazz, etc. So post whatever you want as long as it is sorta jazz related I guess. I'm mostly looking to expand my horizons and see what you fine people like.

Personally I would not feel right starting it off with anybody besides this guy:

Not a big jazz guy myself but "Kind of Blue" is definitely in my top 50 or 100 albums...even a non-jazz person can really enjoy it. Great way to start! :)

HarryIrene

Renowned member
Nice Thread Man. I have always liked Ornette Coleman and the album "The Jazz of things to Come"...Beefheart introduced me. He was obviously influenced by Ornette and Free Jazz and Fusion.

Last edited:

WhatWeDoIsSecret

Distinguished member
Here's a hot one from John Scofield's album A Go Go. @Harry Irene, you ever heard tapes of the Phil & Friends shows featuring Scofield on guitar? There's one at the Warfield floating around out there that is quite good. Anyway, without further ado:

WhatWeDoIsSecret

Distinguished member
Speaking of the Warfield, here's Jerry Garcia and David Grisman doing the Miles classic in 91. There's a whole album of Garcia / Grisman jazz, also called So What, which is just flat out nasty. My favorite of their albums together, and I like them all. I think playing with a musician of Grisman's caliber made Jerry realize he better bring it.

HarryIrene

Renowned member
This could be placed in the "Alternative" Thread and the Music thread (not many people) - "Get it"..It's about Genetics and bees and ants and how they are compared to humans and how we create it..Don blows a Tenor Sax that would make a Jazz Professional's hair on the back of they're hear stand up...One of my fav's from Don...Has a little Beatnik vibe in there and well as psychedelia and just plain Weirdness. There was a bar that had Trout Mask Replica on jukebox...it was refreshing to see people staring at the ceiling going - What is this?" Help Me...

Last edited:

WhatWeDoIsSecret

Distinguished member
Really liking the contributions to the thread thus far. Here's the first track off a classic fusion recording called Head Hunters. Whereas Miles incorporated rock and psychedelia, Herbie's fusion was all funk:

Poink

Distinguished member
My daughter gave me an Ipod for Christmas 7 or 8 years ago. The "Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall" "lost" recordings were the only things she had preloaded for me. The recordings had not been heard for almost 50 years when they were discovered just a few years ago.

WhatWeDoIsSecret

Distinguished member
My daughter gave me an Ipod for Christmas 7 or 8 years ago. The "Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall" "lost" recordings were the only things she had preloaded for me. The recordings had not been heard for almost 50 years when they were discovered just a few years ago.

Beautiful choice, please post here more often if that is what u bring to the table.

Poink

Distinguished member
I posted Roberta Flack's version in the other music forum, but it was Dexter's version that got me to thinking about it this morning. A long time ago, I was looking for a certain "sound" for a period I was going through and found Dexter.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks