• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

The Great Jazz Thread

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

NewarkCap

Honorable member
Does anybody know of some good internet jazz stations? I know a lot of college stations stream jazz programing but I am looking for suggestions.
One of my favorites is WRTI . --- Jazz Programs | WRTI ---

tropist

Lapsed Senior Member

Robert Glasper is a contemporary jazz artist. He has one of the most instantly recognisable harmonic languages ive ever heard. One of his signatures is the chromatic sidestep. Approach the chord from a semitone above. He modifies this so that the sub is a minor chord so it could be Gminor 7+9 to AbM7. Sounds gorgeous.

ParkAve

Exalted member
The Great Jeff Beck ~ Freeway Jam

From the 1975 album Blow by Blow. The song was written by Max Middleton and was produced by George Martin (The 5th Beatle) at his Air Studios.

Beck was such a stickler for getting his solos perfect that he drove Martin batty. He would spend hours getting them just so and then a week later he would call Martin and say that he thought he could do better. This would happen over and over until one day Beck called Martin and said I think I can do better and Martin had to tell him that the record was already in the stores!

Delta L1011

Eminent member
Question: Regarding this "Jazz Thread".......does so-called "Smooth Jazz" count / appropriate to post on this thread ?
(such as Rick Braun / Boney James / Richard Elliott / Paul Taylor / Doc Powell/ Peter White/Jazz-masters/ etc. etc. ??

I keenly realize many dedicated traditional Jazz fans do NOT like "Smooth Jazz" and take this term, and so called hybrid of
music, (from the late 1970's to 1st decade of this century, 2000, to 2010, find this music quite offensive, as imo that generation
of circa time frame, has lost long ago, its once strong, but, now moderate, to fast declining appeal...................

Just saying........(NOT talking about single VOCAL voice musicians), such as Anita Baker / Sade / George Benson, etc.

ParkAve

Exalted member
Question: Regarding this "Jazz Thread".......does so-called "Smooth Jazz" count / appropriate to post on this thread ?
(such as Rick Braun / Boney James / Richard Elliott / Paul Taylor / Doc Powell/ Peter White/Jazz-masters/ etc. etc. ??

I keenly realize many dedicated traditional Jazz fans do NOT like "Smooth Jazz" and take this term, and so called hybrid of
music, (from the late 1970's to 1st decade of this century, 2000, to 2010, find this music quite offensive, as imo that generation
of circa time frame, has lost long ago, its once strong, but, now moderate, to fast declining appeal...................

Just saying........(NOT talking about single VOCAL voice musicians), such as Anita Baker / Sade / George Benson, etc.

@Delta L1011 🙂

You have impeccable musical taste 👌

Not my place to say, however, if you know about it, I'm sure it's great, and appropriate for this thread 🙂

opiatesandchopin

Honorable member
Night and Day - a collection of jazz standards arranged for solo classical guitar by Roland Dyens.
It is magic. Find Dyens playing his arrangement of "A Night in Tunisia" on U tube, you wont regret it.

Delta L1011

Eminent member
Night & Day ~ Earl Bostic Alto Sax (50's + 60's)
(Re-discovered 1980's/1990's "a great song to dance the Shag"

Groucho's Charlotte NC / Asheville NC* / Raleigh NC*** / N. Myrtle Beach, SC, (Fat Harold's & Spanish Gallion)
(Also North to Richmond VA** & South to Jacksonville, FL (the latter at 57 Heaven) J-ville & Orange Park FL
* Mountain Shag Club (Asheville) + CLT Shag Club / Boppers Bar & Boogie/ Chelsea's/ Smiley's Place/ Lynn's
(the latter 4 all evening honky tonks, all in CLT NC) / Studebakers Myrtle Beach, SC / The Sand Flea Greenville, SC

** Richmond VA Shag Club
*** Raleigh NC (Red's Beach Club)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks