• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features
  • December 15, 2020: There are some great new forum features to explore here and here.

Tizanidine

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

coachmcguirk

Lapsed Senior Member
Hi all! I don't usually start threads, but I guess I'm hoping for some other opinions and perspectives here. I'm going to a very conservative pain clinic, for severe myofascial (connective tissue pain) in my neck and between-should-blade area. When I say conservative, I mean that I'm offered like, half of what any pain management book would call first-line treatment options, and I've been dealing with this for 15 years with an entire ream of medical records fo show for it.

Now, I had a decent doctor who was willing to try things I researched, but he has this stupid idea that in a class of drug, they all work the same. I did research and found some papers on pubmed suggesting tizanidine for myofascial problems, and he was like "yeah you can try it, but all muscle relaxers work pretty much the same."

Of course, this is crazy. I'm not sure if it's something he was saying to manage my expectations (something pain clinics do more than actually treat pain), but it worked WAY better than baclofen, in a certain way.

The thing is, it works GREAT for everything BELOW MY NECK. Which is to say, if I do some lifting, cook dinner, etc., and my scapular/midback are really burning, the tizanidine will almost eliminate it (though admittedly I'm allowed to take up to the highest "safe" dose of 24mg/day, though that would probably knock me out). So, this is obviously a good thing.

However, my doctor (who is retiring) was so conservative that he wouldn't prescribe anything recreational, but also, not even anything that would develop tolerance! Now, I'm not an old lady with a hip problem that I just need to get used to. I'm 35, otherwise extremely healthy, have worked in things like constructions until my car accident, etc., and everyone I see says "wow, this is all muscular. Do some PT and you'll see a ton of improvement." I agree, but even the smallest PT concentrated in the affected areas means excruciating pain that snowballs until I can't even get out of bed after a week or two. This doesn't seem to register with doctors, and they seem to keep treating me like an old lady who just needs to get used to my hip problem.

ANYWAY. My question is, does anyone else here take tizanidine? It seems slightly rare. What have you found it useful for, and have you found other things drastically more useful for the same things? For instance, I've never tried Soma. Do I have a case for trying to get my new doctor to let me try it, or should I just order some and see for myself. I like to make a paper trail and do things the "right way" if possible, but the conservationism of this place is starting to make me feel like I'm being held back.

Anyway....any experiences or advice about this particular med would be most appreciated. Thanks!.

(It also costs $50/month, so I don't feel like I'm getting the bang for my buck, so to speak. Maybe when I stop being "lapsed" I'll find a better source ;)

FABLE

Distinguished member
A friend came over with her bottle of these ! Tizanidine 2 mg (Generic for Zanaflex 2 mg) & some friends had tried them. I had noticed that some said they were extremely tired, & those that normally take Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg) all said that it felt like one or two flexerils ! I have yet to try any, but another friend also said they are pretty strong potentiators ! of any opiate pain medications, & had advised anyone to be cautious. Was going to try some this evening, as friends most said feels like ambienish or flexeril sleepy feeling ? So was going to try a single 2 mg Tablet ? Not sure, may not. Haven't read or studied much of it, infact I came here to see what I may find.

FABLE

Distinguished member
The new doctor you have might allow you to try soma. In my humble opinion, it is the best muscle relaxer, by far. I hope you find a med that helps.

Soma's my fave of what few tried. But whoa ! This Tizanidine made me pass out for about 4 hours ? But strangely, I could remember turning my body & or head; & it seems so clear ? Not dreamlike; yet I also remember going right back to sleep.Still think Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine) is better, infact really completely different qualities. Muscles can become so lax' it's like rubber.

SurferGirl

Soma is the only one that works for me. I've tried them all, Flexeril in particular will knock me out and leaves me dopey (not in a good way) and useless for at least 24 hours, from one pill. Can't stand the stuff unless I just need to sleep, because oddly it does nothing for my severe muscular tension and pain. Soma on the other hand does what it is supposed to. Used prophylactically when I feel things knotting up it can prevent nasty muscle spasms and even migraines (which I deal with daily), but even if I take it after onset of symptoms it provides much relief. Unfortunately it's hard to get a script for it anymore.

jeopardyfan

Honorable member
I take tizanadine for 18 years now. I take two 4 mg (8mgs) at night before bed, and for me it is a sleeping pill. In about exactly an hour after I take it, I get very sleepy and can easily fall asleep. It gives no after effects or hangover like other sleeping pills. In fact it seems to only last 3-4 hours where I usually wake back up. The next day I don't feel drowsy from having taken it. I think it wears off quickly. I often mention this to people who complain sleeping pills give them a hangover, but no one uses it I know for sleeping

I also have myofascial pain- my whole body is in knots. I have these identical tender points on both sides of my body, arms, legs, hips etc. I have them inside the knee, on the outside of the calf, on my forearms etc.I also have tenderness along all my muscles and what they said was enthesitis, which is inflammation where the muscles meet the joints. I was also told it was called Mixed Connective Tissue disease, as I have positive test for ANA, anti nuclear antibodies, but my ANA test results do not fit into any known auto immune disease, so they call it Mixed Connective Tissue disease. Although now I read they don't call it that anymore, and now I see that my diagnosis is Lupus Overlap Syndrome. Okay well I feel like crap whatever it is!

I also was told I have restless legs when I slept with a partner. I am not sure why my doctor prescribed it, but I need it to sleep. I like it for that reason.
I don't know if this was helpful at all, but I think you are right it is kind of rare!

Last edited:

SurferGirl

I take tizanadine for 18 years now. I take two 4 mg (8mgs) at night before bed, and for me it is a sleeping pill. In about exactly an hour after I take it, I get very sleepy and can easily fall asleep. It gives no after effects or hangover like other sleeping pills. In fact it seems to only last 3-4 hours where I usually wake back up. The next day I don't feel drowsy from having taken it. I think it wears off quickly. I often mention this to people who complain sleeping pills give them a hangover, but no one uses it I know for sleeping

I also have myofascial pain- my whole body is in knots. I have these identical tender points on both sides of my body, arms, legs, hips etc. I have them inside the knee, on the outside of the calf, on my forearms etc.I also have tenderness along all my muscles and what they said was enthesitis, which is inflammation where the muscles meet the joints. I was also told it was called Mixed Connective Tissue disease, as I have positive test for ANA, anti nuclear antibodies, but my ANA test results do not fit into any known auto immune disease, so they call it Mixed Connective Tissue disease. Although now I read they don't call it that anymore, and now I see that my diagnosis is Lupus Overlap Syndrome. Okay well I feel like crap whatever it is!

I also was told I have restless legs when I slept with a partner. I am not sure why my doctor prescribed it, but I need it to sleep. I like it for that reason.
I don't know if this was helpful at all, but I think you are right it is kind of rare!
@jeopardyfan do you take it during the day too for the myofascial pain? Or only at night because it's so good for sleep? I've also got chronic body-wide pain in joints and muscles (me/cfs, fibromyalgia, whatever label du jour) which is what I use the soma for, but am always looking for new tools in the chronic pain toolbox. Bottom line, all the muscles and joints are grumpy, 24/7. Sleep is very hard to come by so that's awesome it works for you in that department, good to know.

jeopardyfan

Honorable member
No I do not take it during the day, only as a sleeping pill. I have not signed in in awhile so sorry for my late response. I am almost out time to see my doctor

JM59

I had zanaflex for a short time then got soma shortly after my cancer surgery which basically cut my neck from ear to ear and the only thing that stopped the cramping was soma had them all but soma is hands down the best been on for 7 years now and they’ve tried replacing it but nothing works that good

rainey51

Distinguished member
I was almost going to start a new thread on issues I'm having regarding tmj, a knot and burning in my neck and shoulder blades, fingers getting stiff and locking up in between my fingers until I read this. I've been wondering what in the world is going on with me and these latest painful issues, it's driving me crazy. I'm having trouble typing and doing simple things like vacuuming the house because my fingers are locking up and feel so tight. I take Flexeril here and there, (I don't have that many left), it hardly helps me anyway.

Maybe I should try the Soma's instead of Flexeril's? I'm guessing nothing herbal helps, huh?

infamousryan

Distinguished member
i have a very tough time taking any muscle relaxer tbh
i hate the feeling
Soma is ok....
But it is generalistically the same feeling as Robaxin
Soma is probably the most "euphoric" out of flexirl, robaxin, and soma.

i need some other options for relief of throbbing/spasm

baclofen maybe?
but thats a gaba- acting
i already take klonopin

idk

ive had it with the 'relaxers' lol

They make me feel solmnence, and tired, but not able to sleep even when tired.

Delightful_Destruction

Lapsed Senior Member
I'm like the muscle relaxer whisperer lol. I've been on most. I have Tizanadine (zanaflex) tucked away. Soma has always worked the best, but the tolerance is a beotch. I get one now called Lorzone. Not too bad. Not soma, but I just get those on my own.

LightUser99

Lapsed Senior Member
Tizadine was prescribed to me for migraines. It just made me sleep instead of being able to work! That was 3 years ago and I use them for night terrors. Agree with most that soma is better but not sure if your conservative place will allow it.

Agree with you @coachmcguirk that 50 bucks a month for what you’re getting may be better done.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks