Tramadol has taken ten years of my life.

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Zara

Well this has been my go to place all these years and now it is again but for a different reason. I’ve been taking tramadol for ten years. I’ve had enough. My reason for taking it was for depression and it all started with a script from my doctor who had me taking it for the first couple years. Anyways, long story short... it no longer helps with my depression and I only take it so I don’t get sick. So, the last few months I have tapered down and now I’m stuck. I take 50mg once in the morning and then again eight hours later. my body is so messed up... my heart races all the time. I’ve been to the heart doctor and my doctor (no neither know that I’m taking tramadol) just to make sure nothing else is going on. I feel stuck and completely alone. I’m reaching out to see if anyone has “been there”?!?!? Success stories of getting off of tramadol? Tips or suggestions on what to do? Ten years is a long time to be on this medication and I’m sure much damage has been done... is there hope. And the anxiety! The panic attacks... horrible. I’m so scared half the time but I surely wasn’t scared when I was taking 100mg 4-5 times a day all these years. Hope someone can help me out a bit...

Bella38

Honorable member
Keep fighting through it .. it will eventually ease up on you.. That’s the w/d you’re dealing with:. Yes, it sucks..

Although, you’re really in such a small dose .. keep reading these threads and you’ll find some members much much higher dose and taking longer.. regardless though how much or how long the w/d from it is the same and it’s hell! You have to stay strong willed.. I did it before and then a year later had a torn muscle in shoulder and I went right back on it... and yes also helps with depression.., that’s mainly why I like this pill.. I guess it’s a Love/Hate relationship!

Bella38

Honorable member
Keep fighting through it .. it will eventually ease up on you.. That’s the w/d you’re dealing with:. Yes, it sucks..

Although, you’re really in such a small dose .. keep reading these threads and you’ll find some members much much higher dose and taking longer.. regardless though how much or how long the w/d from it is the same and it’s hell! You have to stay strong willed.. I did it before and then a year later had a torn muscle in shoulder and I went right back on it... and yes also helps with depression.., that’s mainly why I like this pill.. I guess it’s a Love/Hate relationship!

Brianna9

Eminent member
@Zara good for u trying to get off of it. I’m guessing it will take while until u feel normal. I also took it for 10+ years and for the same reason. My anxiety was awful and depression was off the charts. keep Pushing thru the symptoms, they will subside. Search Tramadol withdrawals in right hand corner search box, lots of good reading there. There are actually a lot of threads for this subject. Try exercise, meditation, or yoga. Find something that works on body and mI don’t, it may be a while but a positive attitude will go a long way.

rhodes23

So if you're taking 50 mg 2x per day at 8 hr intervals then you're almost there.

Next week try 25 mg 3x per day at 6 hour intervals.
The following week go to 25 mg 2x per day at 8 hr intervals.
The third week 25 once per day

Kratom can help at this point but not as a long term fix.
I found that it helps with anxiety but not so much for depression
For some, myself included, it may even increase depression with long term use.
But for a week or so it should definitely help getting off the trams.
( Remember it's also addictive, but wd's not as bad as trams.)

As far as strains go they say green and red are more stimulating
and white is more relaxing. That may just be marketing hype though.
I found them all to be pretty much the same overall.

They used to claim Maeng Da was the best but I always preferred Indo.
Lately I noticed Indo has gone up in price and is now higher than
the Maeng Da so other customers must agree with me.

Last edited:

Artknowsme

Honorable member
First off, congratulations! You have made great progress and you managed to tackle the hardest part - the decision to stop. Not only that, but you have managed to follow a taper plan. Don't kid yourself, you do have the discipline to take this to the end. At this point, you have just hit a speed bump and are questioning yourself. Don't let that slow down your progress. Its actually a long process to get off of Tram due to the psychological dependence it creates. Set goals for yourself. Long and short term, so you have a plan of attack. Continue the taper as others have encouraged and seek other things you can do to help take the edge off. Everyone is different in what works for them, you just have to keep trying new things and staying positive. You can do this.

dannyb

Hang in there friend, It is just the passage of time that stands between being free and being stuck on the tram train on an oval track. Kratom helps but careful because it does cause severe constipation in some people. Go slow at first to see how it effects you. This is actually a great time to kick an addition. You can always blame a 2 week sick on covid ; )

spraypaint33

First off, congrats to you on your desire to get well! As you know, Tramadol is incredibly tough to kick due to the fact that it affects both serotonin and opiate receptors. I've never been through Tram WDs, but I did kick a N0rc0 and Xanax habit at the same time once, and it was absolute hell.

You're definitely in the homestretch, tapering yourself to a low dose, but it sounds like the anxiety is what is holding you back. I would recommend asking your primary care provider to put you on a beta blocker like Propranolol. It's most commonly used for high blood pressure, but it actually works wonders for anxiety, especially if you get heart palpitations when you have panic attacks. It's not quite as effective as Xanax, but you won't get off one habit and then have another to kick.

Best of luck to you--this won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

north19

Distinguished member
Well this has been my go to place all these years and now it is again but for a different reason. I’ve been taking tramadol for ten years. I’ve had enough. My reason for taking it was for depression and it all started with a script from my doctor who had me taking it for the first couple years. Anyways, long story short... it no longer helps with my depression and I only take it so I don’t get sick. So, the last few months I have tapered down and now I’m stuck. I take 50mg once in the morning and then again eight hours later. my body is so messed up... my heart races all the time. I’ve been to the heart doctor and my doctor (no neither know that I’m taking tramadol) just to make sure nothing else is going on. I feel stuck and completely alone. I’m reaching out to see if anyone has “been there”?!?!? Success stories of getting off of tramadol? Tips or suggestions on what to do? Ten years is a long time to be on this medication and I’m sure much damage has been done... is there hope. And the anxiety! The panic attacks... horrible. I’m so scared half the time but I surely wasn’t scared when I was taking 100mg 4-5 times a day all these years. Hope someone can help me out a bit...
@Zara j feel so bad for you. I don’t or have not used tramodol but am in the same kind of situation with benzos. I can only function normally with a fairly high dose. I think my body chemistry from 25 years of use will never allow me to get off. I don’t want to go through that. I am 50 years old and have hopefully a lot of life ahead of me but without benzos I start sweating , I feel cold and get muscle cramps. I have a big stash now and plan on keeping that way because it scares me so much to think of going through benzo withdrawal. I did it once and it was awful. I just wish you peace and all the best. Maybe some of us need certain meds to function. I know when I was without benzos I ended up in the psych ward of the hospital so I feel for you. All the best and I hope and pray we both make it!!!!

Last edited:

Zara

I haven’t been on here since I started this thread. I kept checking it after I posted and saw no response and felt like such an idiot! Thank you everyone... for taking the time to acknowledge me.
so like I said I have been taking it for 10 years now. i’ve always been more afraid of the depression then withdrawal! Yes I’ve gone through withdrawal three times in the ten year span and complete hell... but I was younger (in my twenties) I didn’t have issues like I’m experiencing now! It was always text book bad withdrawal. Then the depression would hit and back to tram I would go. For years I’ve been taking 100mg 4-5 times a day. In the last year it just felt like the life was sucked out of me, super tired (assuming tramadol) depression was rearing it’s head and I realized I was pretty much just getting by and I wanted more... if I could ever have more then just getting through the day. So I began the taper... six months ago. That’s how long it’s taken for me to get here. Two 50mg a day... but I feel bad, everyday. The thing that bothers me most is my chest. My heart races all the time... that’s why I went to the heart doctor. I had an ultrasound, stress test, bloodwork... I didn’t find anything besides the fact that my heart rate is running about 108-118. So that’s where I’m at. Uncomfortable, scared that somehow I’ve messed my body up so bad that there’s no hope.
A new problem arises now too. I expected to be off of tramadol and no longer have a stick pile. Idiot! I have always taken topdol tramadol in blisters... when I realized I actually will need to order more and placed the order I find out my normal 14-15 shipping has turned into 30-40 days!!! Damn covid! So, I had to find a new source with fast shipping. I did... good part. The bad part is they do not carry what I’ve always used. Mexican tramadol I believe is what I will have to start using, 100mg which I will have to cut. I’m so worked up over it I’m making myself sick. I’m in panic mode. Top it off with they are loose pills. I’ve always been afraid of anything loose because of the risk of them being tampered with. You think things can’t get worse but they do... they are. I assume my body will not take kindly to using a different brand. My body is already so messed up right now. Maybe someone can let me know about these new trams I will have to start taking in two days... I know most of you aren’t afraid of loose medication but I’m terrified. I’ve heard many deadly stories. To be honest, death has never looked so good. I’m getting tired, tired of fighting, tired of just getting through the day. At least when I was taking so much tramadol I would have more ups then downs but I don’t want to go back. I couldn’t live like that anymore either. Hangin by a thread.

liltiki2

Honorable member
If the new brand is a good quality (research) than it doesn't matter which brand it is. Some are weaker, here or there, but you'll know immediately, so you'll need to talk a bit more. It's a drag, but brands are inconsistent. Even the same brand sometimes. See your DM.

Zara

I’m probably not allowed to drop the source name I’m getting them from. I’ll look for thread on them. I always get everything I know from research but let me tell you how bad my focus and concentration levels are. When I shared earlier I had to walk away three times. Thinking is a chore these days and almost every time it throws me into full blown panic attacks. I’ve never had panic attack before tram or while using them. Those started when I started tapering. Another thing that has been messing with my heart. One attack landed me in the Er where they gave me Xanax and told me I have anxiety... again never had before. A mess I tell you, I’m a mess.

Zara

I’ve always taken 100 mg topdol and when tapering down switched to 50mg topdol and that messed me up. Not because of the taper. I was already cutting my 100mg in half to just use them till I ran out. Then figured why not get the 50mg to make it easier. I wonder at times though if some of my troubles could be from whatever fillers are in the 50mg that may not agree with me but that wouldn’t be true?

Zara

Well they arrived... just looking at them about pass out. Apparently Mexican 100mg. Look familiar to anyone?

spraypaint33

I'm with you on not trusting loose pills--I took what were sold to me as "generic perc0cet" once and ended up in the hospital with serotonin syndrome. Never again.

I would once again highly recommend that you ask your doctor to put you on a beta blocker. The racing heart thing will be MUCH better on a low to moderate dose of Propranolol. You resting pulse rate will likely be brought down as well (I can't believe they blew off a pulse over 100 and just chalked it up to anxiety.

That said, what you're going through really is just your body's fight or flight responses going into effect. Getting off such a huge dose is going to trigger some major panic attacks. I know it's easier said than done, but have you thought about coming clean with your doctor about your Tram use? They might be able to help you with a medically assisted detox so that you're not suffering so badly.

All the best to you in this fight!

Zara

They suggested taking atenolol and I have a script. I haven’t filled it because I was afraid of the reaction that might happen because I still take two 50mg tram a day. I read it’s not safe.
I have thought about coming clean to my doctor but we live in a small town. Everyone knows everyone and it would ruin my family. My husband would surely divorce me... he went through two withdrawals back in the day years and years ago and knowing the truth would break us. So it’s not an option, not in my situation.
And the loose pills... I don’t know what to do... amazing that in ten years I have never considered them even an option.

infamousryan

Distinguished member
Remember that Tramadol has dual action, SNRI and OPioid activity . so , if using tram for that long id be extra careful. just 1 tramadol gets me going.

consider switching to buprenorphine at a low doseage.
for each 100mg of tramadol that you take, 0.1mg of Buprenorphine would be the replacement.

So if you take a 400mg of Tram daily, you would need 0.4mg . However, because Buprenorphine is not absorbed entirely (out of 8mg only 1.6mg is absorbed) , Dr. would most likely consider you for 2mg.

Or Dihydrocodeine. Dihydrocodeine has high side effects at high doseages but VERY LOW side effects at low doseages with great analgesia and warmth/glow.

I would also consider getting bloodtests etc or having Dr. prescribe something that would help the depleted SNRI activity .

edit: just read that you did do something like that ^_^

Zara

my doctor has prescribed packs, flux and bupropion that I lied and said I tried each for a month straight only because I had intentions of trying them but I couldn’t get off tram completely to do so. I researched that I couldn’t take them and tram at the same time.
so the question is what can I take while getting off my last two devil pills... or maybe I should just try replacing them. I don’t know... playing doctor is hell even when you have been doing it for so many years.
I have been taking two 50mg tramadol eight hours apart for a month now. Still no relief as far as racing heart... the depression and anxiety mixed in there is just terrible. I thought the taper I’ve been doing for six months would keep my body more stable. Not the case. The only thing avoided would be the extreme body aches I experienced back in the day from cold turkey withdrawals. My chest hurts constantly... that’s the scary part.

Zara

So if you're taking 50 mg 2x per day at 8 hr intervals then you're almost there.

Next week try 25 mg 3x per day at 6 hour intervals.
The following week go to 25 mg 2x per day at 8 hr intervals.
The third week 25 once per day

Kratom can help at this point but not as a long term fix.
I found that it helps with anxiety but not so much for depression
For some, myself included, it may even increase depression with long term use.
But for a week or so it should definitely help getting off the trams.
( Remember it's also addictive, but wd's not as bad as trams.)

As far as strains go they say green and red are more stimulating
and white is more relaxing. That may just be marketing hype though.
I found them all to be pretty much the same overall.

They used to claim Maeng Da was the best but I always preferred Indo.
Lately I noticed Indo has gone up in price and is now higher than
the Maeng Da so other customers must agree with me.
I was going to replace the 50mg every eight hours with 25mg. I didn’t know it was best to do 25mg every six hours instead... that doesn’t put me back as far as how far I’ve come does it?