Tramadol - the pill that won't let me go

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

ethom

Honorable member
I had a surgery two weeks ago and decided to use the rest time to take a break from tram. I was given 15 roxy pills and took three - I ended up feeling nauseous and didn't take anymore. I am just using Tylenol and ibuprofen for two weeks- no tram. I feel kind of crummy but sort of expect to feel crummy while recovering. Maybe there are withdrawals but I am just throwing it in with recovery.

Made me think about everyone who wants to taper. If you find yourself with a cold, it may be a good time to try the taper. You have to rest and aren't going to feel better with it.

We will see how my depression goes which is why I take tram. I still have two full weeks of recovery and doing okay with my mood (as of right now) I do know that I would rather deal with tram than with suicidal thoughts.

And for anyone who may want to know, I had a blood test done for the surgery and nothing came back- I am almost positive they don't test for drugs (unless they suspect it.) Interestingly, my husband says he will not operate on a smoker without a nicotine test though and he issues it the morning of the surgery. I am not a smoker so no one tested me except for pregnancy. They now have started using breathalyzers for alcohol on morning of surgery. Again, I think they only do this in cases where patient is high risk already or they smell it.

I feel like I am a case study these past two weeks :)

creewillow

I’ve used the “quit while I have a cold” strategy in the past and you’re right, it can actually help. I used it to cut way back, as I didn’t intend to completely quit at that time. I definitely find when I have a cold or bug of some sort, I don’t want to take tram because it just makes me dizzy. As I’ve geared up to actually try quitting for good this time, I caught myself kinda hoping I catch a cold!

creewillow

@Red53 - for what it’s worth, I’m on day five without tram, and using Kratom. So far, I’m doing pretty darn good. A lot better than I thought I’d be honestly. The only symptoms I have is stomach upset and sleep issues. Truth be told, I’ve dealt with both those issues long before tram came into my life, so it’s hard to say how much is not having the meds and how much might just be “me”. I’m managing the stomach upset with Imodium and doing my best to get into a better sleep cycle. I’ve made huge leaps forward in just five days, so I’m feeling pretty optimistic right now. And I’m only taking the Kratom at the lowest dose recommended. Not bad for day five!

Doc Rogue

Honorable member
I have found that gabapentin totally gets rid of restless legs for me when I’m having issues with it. I highly recommend it (safely and responsibly of course) if you have access to it. 300 mg does the trick for me every time.

Gabapentin absolutely helps with the restless legs. And opioid/ opiate withdrawals in general. But someone who takes it regularly, and possibly even those who don’t, may find 300mg isn’t enough.

You can safely take 3,600 mgs p/ day, and my doc has told me to take up to 4,800 p/ day on the really bad pain days. I don’t take that much, but have taken up to 3,600mg many times.
Gabapentin I’ve found works best when stacked over a couple of hours, instead of taking the dose all in one shot. So for someone who may be dealing with the restless legs, take 300-600mg, and if you don’t have relief within let’s say 30 to 45 minutes, take another dose. And again 45 minutes later if you’re still having symptoms.
Eventually you’ll get to a level that helps.
But I do agree, if it’s not a med you take regularly, dosing somewhere between 300 - 900mg will probably work well for the RL.
Just everyone is different and may not see relief on such a low dose as 300mg. It may take a bit more.
Be safe and take care. The restless legs and especially for me when it’s in my arms and stomach area are the absolute worst symptoms to deal with!

notcharlotte

Exalted member
@ethom, i broke my pelvis and just switched over from tram to the prescribed percocet. the true test comes when the severe pain is gone. my pelvis dominated all the other pain, but once it got better, the chronic pain became intolerable. i think i just occasionally took a tram here and there against wds, but also had no issues. i hope you are feeling better by now.

jlifeson

Whats funny is that I started taking tram for the WDs from Hydro. Found that it helped with the condition I was taking Hydro for, and didnt make me feel loopy. I could actually work and the antidepressant aspect has been good for me. In the past 4 months, I have been on a few "forced withdrawals" (before this rough patch, I hadnt had a break in a long while) and I have been scrambling to be able to keep up my usual schedule without feeling like crap. Last time I ran out, i was using the Kratom and otc stuff which was helping a bit, then read about Gaba. Tried that and wow, it took away nearly all my wds. This time, its not working as well, but still better than nothing. Makes my critical thinking a bit fuzzy though. This recent roller coaster ride is really starting to suck though and making me think I would rather just ride out the wds and give this up once and for all. I had looked into sub doctors and programs...though if I switched to that and weaned slowly, it would solve the supply and even money issues with getting tram. But either most are full or others are "clinics" where you have to go sit for hours til your name is called to give a sample before getting anything. I own and run two successful businesses, at least 12-14 hours a day, kids, wife, etc...I dont have time for that BS.

ilovelucy

@Red53 - for what it’s worth, I’m on day five without tram, and using Kratom. So far, I’m doing pretty darn good. A lot better than I thought I’d be honestly. The only symptoms I have is stomach upset and sleep issues. Truth be told, I’ve dealt with both those issues long before tram came into my life, so it’s hard to say how much is not having the meds and how much might just be “me”. I’m managing the stomach upset with Imodium and doing my best to get into a better sleep cycle. I’ve made huge leaps forward in just five days, so I’m feeling pretty optimistic right now. And I’m only taking the Kratom at the lowest dose recommended. Not bad for day five!

You’ve given me so much hope, today was my last day on tram, I’m trying the Kratom method to help. I really hope it works for me like it did for you. Thank you for sharing!

ilovelucy

You’ve given me so much hope, today was my last day on tram, I’m trying the Kratom method to help. I really hope it works for me like it did for you. Thank you for sharing!

Well first dose of Kratom didn’t go down so well, I just mixed it with hot water and chugged, I was almost done with it and gagged so I sucked up a bunch of the stuff in my lungs. Ugh that was friggin’ awful. Wish me luck for the next 6 weeks!

ilovelucy

I used kratom to quit Tramadol. Of course it can be trading one drug for another, but kratom seems to be a safer route imo.

Agreed 100%, it’s much cheaper too although I worry about the taper. Just one more reason I wish I would’ve never found the damn drug (tram) in the first place. I just can’t get the Kratom to work but I think I’m looking for a magic pill to help when that mindset got me here in the first place. If any tram or drug user happens upon my words (left behind by so many others) please do not take Tram. Please. It will never be worth it, idc how high your self control is

Last edited:

north19

Distinguished member
I’ve been working on a taper..
I used to take up to 1100-1200mg a day. When I first found out years ago I could get 100mg from an IOP I thought this would save me so much money.. well little by little I was taking more and more and didn’t really pay to much attention to how much I was taking until one day I did notice. So, I immediately refocused and dropped to 5 of 100mgs. I know still terribly high and I’m trying so hard to get the hell off of these things. Problem I’m having is the RLS, leg cramping at night and then the brain zaps ... so, I figured I have to slow taper to get off the 5 that I’m taking. The first few days when I dropped from 12 to 5 I did suffer but with some will power and forcing myself to not cave. I don’t even know how or why I let myself spiral out of control like that . I feel so ashamed . I guess all I can do is move forward and not allow for that to happen.
On top of all this I found out recently my work is merging from in with another company that bought us and rumor has it we will be drug tested and background check. I’m clean on the background check but the tramadol use I’m so afraid of testing positive or having a false positive and I don’t have a script . I’ve read many threads on drug testing but nothing clear on if anyone ever tested positive on a 10 panel and only takes tramadol.

I’ve read about Kratom of some using that to help with withdrawl but heck there is many different kinds I wouldn’t even know where to start.

@Bella38 I don’t know if anything would show for you but I had a 10 panel test done at the hospital and I was on teams at the time-very low dose 37.5 mg 3 to 4 times a day. I don’t know if all 10 panels are the same-I am in Canada but I was surprised when it came back as clean. All the best

creewillow

If it gives you more hope, my post you replied to was from early January. Almost four months later, and I’m still doing good. I’m using a very minimal amount of Kratom (one capsule, two times a day) and all in all, have had the easiest go ever of quitting a pk. I tried to use kratom powder, but couldn’t get it down. I switched to exclusively using the capsules. My tummy struggled with them a bit at first, but some OTC digestive aids helped that. Now, they only seem to upset my stomach is I don’t take them on a completely empty stomach and with a lot of water or juice to make sure it washes all the way down. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

ilovelucy

If it gives you more hope, my post you replied to was from early January. Almost four months later, and I’m still doing good. I’m using a very minimal amount of Kratom (one capsule, two times a day) and all in all, have had the easiest go ever of quitting a pk. I tried to use kratom powder, but couldn’t get it down. I switched to exclusively using the capsules. My tummy struggled with them a bit at first, but some OTC digestive aids helped that. Now, they only seem to upset my stomach is I don’t take them on a completely empty stomach and with a lot of water or juice to make sure it washes all the way down. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

@creewillow - Yes! Thank you! It is a struggle but I ordered more Kratom capsules and am hoping for the best. I cannot choke down the powder either and unfortunately I searched my house high and low to see if I had any leftover Tram while the wd’s were at their worst and of course I found some so I took them and now I get to start over again. Ugh. It was only 3 days worth and now I have the K capsules so I’m going to try my hardest to succeed! That’s all I can do! Thanks again for sharing, you have definitely given me more hope! Congrats on 4 months of freedom! :)

creewillow

@creewillow - Yes! Thank you! It is a struggle but I ordered more Kratom capsules and am hoping for the best. I cannot choke down the powder either and unfortunately I searched my house high and low to see if I had any leftover Tram while the wd’s were at their worst and of course I found some so I took them and now I get to start over again. Ugh. It was only 3 days worth and now I have the K capsules so I’m going to try my hardest to succeed! That’s all I can do! Thanks again for sharing, you have definitely given me more hope! Congrats on 4 months of freedom! :)

Thank you! I can’t say every day is a good day, and some days my back and hip pain have me cursing up and down, but overall I’m much happier and in a good place. The things I’m still struggling with are my sleep patterns and some digestive issues. Both of which were present before trams came into my life, so now it’s just figuring out what works best for me with those two things when tram isn’t a regular part of my repertoire for dealing with them. One day at a time!

Rally Pig

Kratom works great to get off Tramadol. If you do not have that, DXM can work too as it is similar in a mechanism. Of coarse taper and get down to small doses first.

feisty

Distinguished member
I don't see how y'all take tram. I had a horrible experience with it and have just vowedd to stay away. Years ago I knew nothing about this drug and it was before it was scheduled. My doc threw scripts at me like candy so I popped them like candy ...hey I am in pain let's take some tram. Oh crap back is killing me, pop another. Then it was time to finish up the pills. I was in the worst withdrawal you can imagine. Never been through WDs before or after.....I hated those two weeks.....then I discovered here.

theshahofiran

Reading comments above, in pain and a bit hard to type now. Some of us who would ideally prefer taking nothing, have settled on careful tram dosing and find it much more effective than other meds mentioned. And I don't want to discount the monoamine psych drugs for those who find success there, but my brief experience with them scared me good.

Personally I'm quite curious about kratom, but not sure it's a solution to take daily. Also the prospect of learning/titrating a new med and transitioning off one which I'm using fairly successfully, well any of you with experience know how that goes.

For now I've found tram (spared with cannabis) is the best fit for me to stay functional, and I can't afford to risk my forward momentum, positive outlook, physical ability, etc. Long term I need surgeries, joint/disc replacements, and maybe a miracle (none of which are available atm).

If it helps you, that's great. If it doesn't, I'm sorry. If it hurts you, find something else.

Last edited:

Rally Pig

Not sure what type of pain you are in but you may also find Gababpentin and Lyrica helpful.

Bella38

Honorable member
There is so many strains of Kratom - how the heck do you know what to order and use for w/d from tram use? I tried red and green and didn’t do nothing for me.. anyone have any recommendation of what strain to use and site to purchase from?

bellavamp

Honorable member
@Bella38 I tried Kratom from OnlineKraton.com. They were quick with delivery and the website explains the different strains. I tried the red and white. I believe the Mitra White Borneo is supposed to give you energy. But, I too, didn't find the strains very effective. Some people noted the tea/powder versions were the best way to take it, but when going through w/d, the last thing I wanted to do was fool with tea/seeping and even trying to get the powder down. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shot, but it can get pricey and time consuming trying to find the right strain. By the time you do figure it all out, you may be through the worst of your w/d period.