Tramadol to antidepressants... what are the possibilities?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Zara

Honorable member
So I’m deciding if it’s my best interest to come clean to my primary doctor about my ten year usage of tramadol. I have used this medication for my depression.
I have been tapering down (because of course after ten years my tolerance level went up and I had to keep upping my dose). I’m currently on two doses of 50 mg a day. I’m stuck in cannot go down any longer myself. The depression has come back in full force but relieved after dosage, i’m experiencing racing heart all the time, i’ve begun having anxiety attacks.
with all that being said I want to come clean to my doctor and ask for his help getting off of these things.
The thing I’m afraid of most would be the crippling depression. It’s all also quite scary to have a heart that’s racing constantly... spikes in blood pressure too.
I would like to ask him to put me on something that is similar to the effects of tramadol that will work on the same part of the brain... I did a bit of research and Cymbalta came up.
Has anyone had a positive experience with getting off of tramadol and onto something else for depression that has helped?
what are the chances that my doctor will even be willing to help or willing to prescribe me anything?

1989greyfox

Cymbalta inhibits serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake, which tramadol does. The opioid activity might also be part of the depression relief, in which case kratom could be helpful if used sparingly. You might want to avoid that though, if you're trying to avoid anything with opioid activity.

Zara

Honorable member
I’m not trying to avoid anything... well depression! Lol
I believe if it’s working then that’s what you need. I just no longer want to deal with buying meds on line- not having any valid prescription. I guess you might say I want to go legit in my treatment.
I picked up some kratom capsules today. The lady who owns the place has three doctors in her family (so she says) and they all support it’s use. It’s legal where I live too!
im nervous about trying it... I was thinking of replacing my next tram dose with one.

Zara

Honorable member
Because of my taper though I’m dealing with racing heart a lot of the times and extreme anxiety... This may not be the best time to try it. I just have to go off of these things though. I have been trying for over six months and hit a wall. Due to circumstances I have about a month till I desperately need to be done with them completely. Trying to figure out the best way to do that. So again, thinking about going to my doctor, I also thought about finding a physiatrist to help but I assume they might just want to throw me in rehab.

halohippe

Lapsed Senior Member
Cymbalta which is called Duloxetine in the UK, i have been taking for about a year. It works well but unfortunately I can’t compare to your situation too well as I take methadone as well for chronic pain. Duloxetine is supposed to help for pain as well. I hope you find what you need.

rhodes23

Similar effects of tramadol and venlafaxine (effexor) in major depressive disorder.

I found this abstract of an medical study while doing research on the similarities between tramodol and effexor.
I seem to recall though having heard of some problems with the effexor extended release that may lead to it soon being taken off the market ( if it hasn't been already.) Nevertheless still an interesting study.

1989greyfox

Because of my taper though I’m dealing with racing heart a lot of the times and extreme anxiety... This may not be the best time to try it. I just have to go off of these things though. I have been trying for over six months and hit a wall. Due to circumstances I have about a month till I desperately need to be done with them completely. Trying to figure out the best way to do that. So again, thinking about going to my doctor, I also thought about finding a physiatrist to help but I assume they might just want to throw me in rehab.

Good kratom hits me harder than a 50 mg or 100 mg dose of tramadol does. The only downside is it's much more short-lived compared to tram. But keep in mind that kratom quality can vary a lot. A single capsule, if it's not an extract, will probably not do much. But best to start small. If you do choose the kratom route, you're better off buying online (way cheaper and generally better quality). To find a vendor I recommend the doublemherbals forum, the people there know a lot about different vendors that are good.

ethom

Honorable member
I am very interested in your story because I am in the same boat. I have tried Zoloft and Paxil with no effect. Someone on here suggested cymbalta but my GP just moved and I am nervous about new docs. I wouldn't come clean to your doc though. It will go in your record and the next time you get sick or hurt, they won't prescribe you anything controlled. Maybe come clean to a friend or therapist if that helps you come to terms with it.

I also want off it solely to having to buy online. I am also concerned that antidepressants can make me gain weight. My plan is to eventually request cymbalta or Effexor based on my own research and that Zoloft and Paxil did nothing. You could tell your doctor that it worked for your relative and want to try it. I initially went to the doc and wanted a blood pressure med because many people say it reduced their anxieties. Plus I suffer from white coat syndrome so blood pressure is always high at Drs office. But my doctor said he thought a low dose benzo would be better as needed since I am into a lot of exercise and my blood pressure at the office is not indicative of my true blood pressure. I told him I run 30 plus miles a week and he said no way to blood pressure meds as I could pass out on a long run. It was the first time a doctor believed me and it changed my world as far as docs. Smart move because I eventually bought a blood pressure cuff and it is extremely low at home. I had to really look to find a doctor who believed me and now he just moved:(

We tried Zoloft and Paxil with varying doses. Didn't help me.

So I decided to stick with the low dose tram for now. The pandemic isn't helping me at all and I stockpiled heavily so that I actually have enough for 3-4 years. So ridiculous. For me, I think it is life or death as I can get suicidal. Tram is saving me for now but I hate getting it. Ironically, I can't stand regular opioids. Had surgery months ago and was given Roxy for the first time in my life. I thought..oh I am going to love this. Nope. Just made me sleepy and nauseous. Same with codeine. That tram is a funny drug.

Let us know how it all works out- maybe you will give me some hope of also getting rid of the tram.

Zara

Honorable member
I am very interested in your story because I am in the same boat. I have tried Zoloft and Paxil with no effect. Someone on here suggested cymbalta but my GP just moved and I am nervous about new docs. I wouldn't come clean to your doc though. It will go in your record and the next time you get sick or hurt, they won't prescribe you anything controlled. Maybe come clean to a friend or therapist if that helps you come to terms with it.

I also want off it solely to having to buy online. I am also concerned that antidepressants can make me gain weight. My plan is to eventually request cymbalta or Effexor based on my own research and that Zoloft and Paxil did nothing. You could tell your doctor that it worked for your relative and want to try it. I initially went to the doc and wanted a blood pressure med because many people say it reduced their anxieties. Plus I suffer from white coat syndrome so blood pressure is always high at Drs office. But my doctor said he thought a low dose benzo would be better as needed since I am into a lot of exercise and my blood pressure at the office is not indicative of my true blood pressure. I told him I run 30 plus miles a week and he said no way to blood pressure meds as I could pass out on a long run. It was the first time a doctor believed me and it changed my world as far as docs. Smart move because I eventually bought a blood pressure cuff and it is extremely low at home. I had to really look to find a doctor who believed me and now he just moved:(

We tried Zoloft and Paxil with varying doses. Didn't help me.

So I decided to stick with the low dose tram for now. The pandemic isn't helping me at all and I stockpiled heavily so that I actually have enough for 3-4 years. So ridiculous. For me, I think it is life or death as I can get suicidal. Tram is saving me for now but I hate getting it. Ironically, I can't stand regular opioids. Had surgery months ago and was given Roxy for the first time in my life. I thought..oh I am going to love this. Nope. Just made me sleepy and nauseous. Same with codeine. That tram is a funny drug.

Let us know how it all works out- maybe you will give me some hope of also getting rid of the tram.
That’s quiet interesting because I too do not like regular opioids! After my c-section a few years ago they gave me Percocet. Made me feel so sick and so tired... hated it. Same with Vicodin... no interest in ever taking that unless really need to.
thinking about all of my options right now and it’s overwhelming let me tell you. So many directions to go and in the end it really will be out of my hands and up to a doctor or psychiatrist.
I must say that’s an impressive stockpile by the way. I’m horrible about that but it’s been due to fear. I get so nervous just placing one order and got my first LL about month ago.
I started reading about Effexor and it was more negative then positive things. Ugh

liltiki2

Honorable member
SSRIs never made me gain weight. Eating too much food did. I've tried all of those meds at one time or another. Paxil took away my appetite, but horrible to come off of. Abilify which is not an ssri, for sure will cause obesity.

Azzamean

Honorable member
I'm not sure if I would tell your doctor about 10 years of opioid abuse... Maybe find a different temp doctor? I've had bad experiences when I was younger coming "clean" with a doctor who when I actually did need something at a future date it would not happen. Also those records are sometimes (usually) accessible not just by the doctor, but by anyone treating you at the same hospital affiliation. This is just something to think about and know before you make your decision. Not saying there is a right or wrong answer or that I am right or wrong.

Zara

Honorable member
I'm not sure if I would tell your doctor about 10 years of opioid abuse... Maybe find a different temp doctor? I've had bad experiences when I was younger coming "clean" with a doctor who when I actually did need something at a future date it would not happen. Also those records are sometimes (usually) accessible not just by the doctor, but by anyone treating you at the same hospital affiliation. This is just something to think about and know before you make your decision. Not saying there is a right or wrong answer or that I am right or wrong.
Thank you, You hit the nail on the head for the reason I have not done so yet. I’m leaning more towards finding a physiatrist but then I can’t see them treating my sufficiently because of my team use.
I feel as the only way I’ll get the treatment I need is to be off of tram first but getting off of the damn tram train is the issue. I can name it through the day on two trams a day but can’t seem to get past that. If functioning fine without them in the first place wasn’t a problem I’m sure I could do it but like I’ve stated before, I had sever depression and anxiety before I started tram. So withdrawal on top of that seems impossible. I’m sure one that didn’t have responsibilities or children to care for it might be an option... again thanks for your input. People sharing their experiences and opinions help a ton these days on this forum.

Azzamean

Honorable member
@Zara have you ever tried Kratom? It itself is addicting but much less so. If you do go for a doctors route, personally I would come clean for treatment but no way in hell would I do it with a doctor that is affiliated to anything in my area due to being black listed for certain drugs.. think of getting into a car wreck being told you only get Tylenol for your injury due to the addiction on your record.

Zara

Honorable member
I haven’t tried it yet. I purchased some and stare at it... lol It is legal where I live too so it’s an option. I’m just a bit worried about how it will affect me.
Do you use it and how long will the effects last, at least for you.
I definitely decided not to turn to my primary doctor but I would like to be off of these damn things in a month.

LuckyIrish

Distinguished member
I tried kratom a few years ago and ended up with severe gastritis. My body just could not digest all the kratom plant material. So I drank it like tea, filtering out the kratom. It helped so much with the low energy that I experienced with tram withdrawal. However you take it, start small. Read up on the strains available as some are better for energy, others for anxiety. Make sure you’ve got a good supplier, as you don’t want old or potentially dirty product. There’s a lot of info on PR and some pretty good reddit threads too. Just like tram tho, it’s addictive so set a short timeline for use and stick to your end date.

For me, marijuana helped the most, which is how I finally kicked tram after about 10 years. Additionally, I have taken Paxil, Cymbalta, Zoloft and Effexor (in that order). Effexor felt the most similar as tram to me and I’m still taking a low dose today to help with hot flashes and PMDD. Growing old is super fun! You should be able to safely tell your dr about depression (do not under any circumstance mention the tram use to any dr) and antidepressants are very regularly scripted (in the US at least) for depression as well as many other reasons. Let me know if you need any support or tips on how to have this discussion w your dr. If you take a high dose of antidepressants, do not take tram!! You could end up with serotonin syndrome which sounds very scary.

It’s interesting that you mention seeing a physiatrist as I just made an apt with one this past week. In order to make that appt, I needed a ‘medical referral’, where my dr had to call them and provide info on why I needed to see the dr. I was surprised as I don’t need refs for insurance but as my pcp had recommended it, she had no problem calling them w her referral. But, you should be clear of the tram before this appt as it’ll mask what’s really going on with your body.

Anyway, good luck in your journey. Please let me know if you want additional info on anything I’ve mentioned here. I’m happy to share my personal experiences.

Zara

Honorable member
I’m already having stomach issues which was another reason I haven’t tried it. Making a tea sounds like an idea! Thank you.
The hardest part is stopping the tram all together so I can get the treatment I need.
I need to figure out what I can start taking while getting off my last two doses.