• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Tramadol use - Employment UDS- rapid 10panel

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Bella38

Honorable member
So , my Company recently was bought by another. They’re merging us over the next couple of months and with that they are requiring all employees take a Drug screening and will have a background check... I find this so odd but never been involved with something like this ..I’ve been with this company over 8 yrs...
Anywho, background check I am squeaky clean.. however, I do take tramadol and don’t have an active script.. the urine drug screen (uds) I believe is either going to be a rapid 9 or rapid 10. In my experience, I know the drug screen would have to test specifically for tramadol for a positive... but as I have so many threads there is some speaking of having a false positive for meth or pcp with using tramadol... but I don’t know what drug screen they had done.. I know pain clinics and hospitals rest for everything so o can understand why someone gets a positive screening.

Has anyone had a recent urine drug screen that was a 9 or 10 panel.?
Only use tramadol.
What were your results ?

I purchased a few rapid 10 drug screens online , took the test (two of them) showed positive under methadone (meth)... after reviewing the panphlet it showed the test also was an expanded panel which had tramadol and that’s why it tested positive... So I purchased a different rapid 10 panel drug screen that matches the testing of drugs as a standard pre employment 10 panel but I’m waiting on that one to come in mail..

So my other question is , let’s say you test positive (non-negative ) on the initial standard 10 panel... which doesn’t test specifically for tramadol but popped positive under the methadone or pcp.. the drug screen then is sent to lab for additional processing .. That result then confirms you are not positive for meth or pcp... will the MRO call you and confirm what medicines you’re prescribed ? The confirmation screening is the one I am really not familiar in on how that works.. if tramadol isn’t apart of the screening and the confirmation confirms a false positive for whatever you initially showed positive for does it stop there or does the MRO try to determine the cause of the false positive?

If anyone has any knowledge on this please fill me in.. I have taken many drug screens and was always negative but this was before tramadol became scheduled.. I don’t think on a standard 9 or 10 panel tramadol will give a positive under any of the typical drugs that are tested but I can’t seem to find anyone or a thread on this of someone who only uses tramadol and had a recent standard employment 9 or 10 panel drug screening...

Thanks all! Sorry for the ramble and hope I don’t sound as a rambling idiot and confusing ,

please excuse any typos I am on my phone ..

calgal99

Eminent member
So , my Company recently was bought by another. They’re merging us over the next couple of months and with that they are requiring all employees take a Drug screening and will have a background check... I find this so odd but never been involved with something like this ..I’ve been with this company over 8 yrs...
Anywho, background check I am squeaky clean.. however, I do take tramadol and don’t have an active script.. the urine drug screen (uds) I believe is either going to be a rapid 9 or rapid 10. In my experience, I know the drug screen would have to test specifically for tramadol for a positive... but as I have so many threads there is some speaking of having a false positive for meth or pcp with using tramadol... but I don’t know what drug screen they had done.. I know pain clinics and hospitals rest for everything so o can understand why someone gets a positive screening.

Only use tramadol.
What were your results ?

I purchased a few rapid 10 drug screens online , took the test (two of them) showed positive under methadone (meth)... after reviewing the panphlet it showed the test also was an expanded panel which had tramadol and that’s why it tested positive... So I purchased a different rapid 10 panel drug screen that matches the testing of drugs as a standard pre employment 10 panel but I’m waiting on that one to come in mail..

So my other question is , let’s say you test positive (non-negative ) on the initial standard 10 panel... which doesn’t test specifically for tramadol but popped positive under the methadone or pcp.. the drug screen then is sent to lab for additional processing .. That result then confirms you are not positive for meth or pcp... will the MRO call you and confirm what medicines you’re prescribed ? The confirmation screening is the one I am really not familiar in on how that works.. if tramadol isn’t apart of the screening and the confirmation confirms a false positive for whatever you initially showed positive for does it stop there or does the MRO try to determine the cause of the false positive?

If anyone has any knowledge on this please fill me in.. I have taken many drug screens and was always negative but this was before tramadol became scheduled.. I don’t think on a standard 9 or 10 panel tramadol will give a positive under any of the typical drugs that are tested but I can’t seem to find anyone or a thread on this of someone who only uses tramadol and had a recent standard employment 9 or 10 panel drug screening...

Thanks all! Sorry for the ramble and hope I don’t sound as a rambling idiot and confusing ,

@Bella38, is there any way you can get a valid scrip for the tram - that's clearly the best & most reliable way to deal with this. If you have a trusted Dr., s/he might be willing to write you for a few, for a lower back strain or something like that. Otherwise, if you can, you should consider trying a fast detox, and hope that between the time of any (possible) positive drug screen, and a more definitive test (that would obviously have to be given at a somewhat later time) the tram would have cleared your system enough not to trigger the secondary test. I know the second option can be risky, the first is really best if at all possible. Good luck!

(p.s. screw these companies that give random drug screenings to all their employees, just because they can. Phooey.) :swear:

creewillow

Wondering how this went for you? I know it’s a couple months old, but I did a 10 panel this past summer for a new job. Like you, the only thing I use are trams. I passed with no issues. In my experience, when it comes to additional testing because something came back positive or incorrect, it’s entirely dependent on the individual employer. Most often, if the additional testing clears you, they just move forward, you don’t need to figure out why you had a false positive. If they really do want a start to finish confirmation you aren’t using something like PCP, the most common approach I’ve seen used is to simply retest with the same type of test as the original. The assumption being it’s unlikely you’d have a second false positive result for something you aren’t using. If they test specifically for tramadol, they would probably want an active script from you if you do test positive. Again though, it will vary dramatically by the employer and their reason for testing.

Polina

Distinguished member
@creewillow Did you stop taking tram before drug test, and, if so, for how long? Drug test was ordered from doctor bc she prescribed fioricet. Drug panel is comprehensive, meaning it tests for a variety of controlled prescription drugs, street drugs, as well as non-controlled prescriptions such as seroquel, elavil, antihistamines.

creewillow

@Polina I cut back about a week before the test, and stopped completely for about two days. I was not given specific details of my results, just told I passed and got the job I was taking the test for, so I didn’t ask for the results either.

M77

Exalted member

Only use tramadol.
What were your results ?

I know your question is three months old. I’m sorry I didn’t see it sooner, but it just got bumped by newer posts. The biggest problem with any positive on the 9, or 10 panel, is it will probably lead to a gas chromatography test. They don’t do those first, because they are very expensive. I had to deal with these at a pain management practice. All I was ever positive for, was two meds, both prescribed. One was my PK, the other was a benzo prescribed by my other doctor. At first, this didn’t seem to be a problem, because they were totally legit, and nothing else ever showed up. The pain doc was annoyed, but couldn’t really do anything about it.

This went on for a while, but I always got slapped with the full chromatography tests, maybe every 60, to 90 days. It felt like I was a criminal. I was honest about the two meds, but it always seemed like the doctor was angrier and angrier. Finally, he told me that people that take both are “more likely” to abuse their meds, and kill themselves! So now I got it. He was just worried that if I happened to abuse the meds, he might get some blame! He couldn’t care less that I used both responsibly for decades.

He started telling me I either had to quit the benzo, or not take it for a week before my appointments, so it wouldn’t show up! I know that this isn’t exactly what you asked, but I told my little story, because I got to see what the full blown test looked like. It tested for stuff that isn’t even made anymore! I guess they do every med known, to justify the high price. There had to be close to 100 substances on the full test.

I got fed up, and decided that I wasn’t going to suffer severe anxiety attacks, because this idiot was worried about his liability, and cared 0% about what was good for me. Thankfully, I was able to get a new pain doc, that tested me once, saw the results matched my legit RX’s, and actually cares about my health. I hope it all worked out.

Last edited:

Bella38

Honorable member
Hey all, thanks for the follow up responses...
what actually happened was nothing, as of yet.. They decided not to drug screen all staff but what they will be doing is pulling random urine drug screening. So for now I have worked on reducing to have as little as possible so I can function .. I wish I could stop these cold turkey but the withdrawal would have me less than functional . I wish I never picked up one of these devilish pills when told they were not Habit forming.. it was about a year after prescribed that I realized there was some thing in these little bastards that is addictive... So here I am 15 years later still taking them but w/o script. Some people stated to try Kratom .. well I went to order some and there is so many different kinds how the hell do you know which one to buy . I did purchase two kinds and I found that 1. The worst taste ever!! 2. Did nothing to help offset w/d’s.. so I’m stuck with the tapering method. Although, it is hard to even stay what I went down to let alone I don’t know how I’m going to reduce even more .. I’m letting my body time to adapt and keep pushing through the day . I was at one time up to 12 a day l. Now I am down to 5 and been there for a two months. I know I have to get off these because if or when I drug tested I cannot afford to lose my job . I worked too hard and make too much to lose my job and I would never forgive myself if I let this tramadol pill ruin my livelihood ! Like I’m sure the rest of you also feel ..

Any suggestions I am all ears if anyone has any.

Happy Holidays Gang!!

creewillow

@Bella38
Wow. A lot of similarities to my own story. It’s been about 18 years for me, on and off. At this point, I’m in a really good place mentally and emotionally and I’m just tired of the control it’s had in my life. I know it’s not going to be easy, but I’m looking forward to life on the other side. No more worrying about packages arriving before I run out, or before I leave on a trip, no more worrying about fake meds or LE, no more worrying about “something” going wrong health-wise that brings it to the forefront and having to explain it to my doctor. As it is, every time I have some new odd health thing pop up, I immediately wonder if it’s related to using trams. Truth be told, ibuprofen now works better for my actual pain. The trams just give me energy and a sense of calm that I like. I need to work on finding those things without it. That’s really my biggest hurtle psychologically.

Like you, I’ve been up to 10/12 a day at times. Other times as few as 2/4. I’ve used Kratom in the past to successfully get through withdrawal. I’m planning to do that again. I did some experimenting with several varieties and in my personal experience, red varieties worked best for me. It’s not perfect and I have to supplement with loperamide and OTC pain meds, but it keeps me up and functioning through it. So it’s more like a stomach bug than a full blown flu. I think the hardest part for me is usually the body aches and restless legs. Kratom helps me with that a lot. To the point where I didn’t have any of it the last time around. I hope you can find something to help you through it too!

Bella38

Honorable member
Ohhh the RLS I get is horrendous... before I found this forum years back I never knew what was happening with my legs when w/d ... then I found others to who take tramadol suffered from this also. That and the brain zaps is the two things I have a hard time dealing with when w/d. The flu like symptoms suck but I can somewhat deal with that part .. it’s the whole brain thing that freaks me the hell out and scary when w/d and then my legs feeling like they want to walk a marathon but the rest of my body doesn’t want to move!
I am going to be doing some reading up on that Kratom and try to figure out a regimen that will work. Maybe I just had the wrong type last time .

This little devil pill is what I call a love/hate relationship . I love how it makes me calm and energy and helps focusing on things but for me I can’t stand having something control my entire life . This is the only thing I take and kick myself a 1,000 times + for becoming addicted and feeling like a damn pill drug addict everyday of my life because of this... i just wish I can be strong enough to push through and get off these for good but I know this is going to take sometime to taper. I wish I could do cold turkey but when it comes to my brain feeling the way it does when w/d that just scares me and afraid I would end up having a seizure or causing something worse.

If anyone has any recommendations that has worked for them and has been successful coming off tramadol please tell me how you did it.

creewillow

Yep...the RLS is horrible. That’s why I was SO pleased it was the main symptom taking Kratom kept at bay. I truly cannot imagine how people with ongoing RLS manage. It’s a horrible feeling! Bonus points...Kratom also helped me sleep and I’ve always been a bit of an insomniac.

Knock on wood, I’ve never had to deal with brain zaps. I’ve detoxed from other RX opioids in the past and trams a couple times before, thankfully they’ve never been one of my withdrawal symptoms. Like I said...knock on wood. I admittedly do not know a ton about the science of dependence and withdrawal, but if there’s a genetic element to how it affects your body, I think I have good genes on my side. Don’t get me wrong...it sucks, but it’s tolerable. I’ve not been entirely incapacitated by it in the past. Oh, I want to be in bed and not need to get up and do anything, but I can if I have to.

I know exactly what you mean about how it makes you feel. Those have been my stumbling blocks as well. I like the mix of calm and energy, the focus it gives me. I’m hoping I can reclaim some of that through other, healthier, means. I also hate the control it has. That’s really my #1 reason for quitting. I hate how much my mood can be effected by running low or out at an inconvenient time. For years, I tried to convince myself I was dependent but not addicted because I have a “normal”, productive, life. Then I sort of smacked myself upside the head and made myself accept the full picture. So, here I am. I’m officially going to begin tapering this weekend. Probably a bit faster than I should, but I know I’m gonna deal with some symptoms regardless, and I’m anxious to move forward tram free.

In terms of Kratom, I can only say what worked for me. Red Bali and Red Maeng Da were the two that helped me the most. I tried a yellow and a green variety sale well, but they were nowhere near as helpful as the reds. I also found I prefer capsules over the loose powder. I can get the powder down easily enough in something like cranberry juice, but the capsules are a lot more convenient when I can’t be at home for a dose. And I found no difference in their effectiveness, nor really in how long it takes for it to kick in. I imagine that differs by metabolism. For me, there’s just no real reason to use the powder over the capsules.

This is the only combination that’s ever worked for me in the past...wean down, utilize Kratom to get through the worst of the withdrawal symptoms, then wean off the Kratom very slowly. Thankfully, Kratom is far less difficult to get, so I’m able to take the time I need to wean slowly. I’ve also found that getting up and moving, even though no part of me wants to, helps me. Even going to work was good for me. It forces me to be distracted from how I’m feeling. When I stay home, I’m apt to wallow in it. And as much as tvv hv at feels like what I want to do, I know if I get up, move, work, distract myself...I’ll feel better for it. I wish there was a magic combo I could tell you about to help you get through it!

Bella38

Honorable member
So how many capsules of Kratom do you take a day to offset w/d’s.. that was another thing I could not figure out the dosing or what kind to even order. There is so many different kinds and how do you even figure out what works ...

I wish you all the luck on your tapering!

Artknowsme

Honorable member
I would buy chopped red vein kratom and pack it into a large gelatin capsules. This however did not help me with RLS. I had to use loperamide, which is what is in Imodium. 4-6 a night would let me sleep. During the day, I didn't notice it as a problem. Drink plenty of water and you shouldn't have constipation. You will have the typical 5 days of hell, if you can try and sleep it out Baclofen can help knock you out and help you relax. The depression and lack of energy is what will get you. The Kratom will help with that, but it did nothing for the depression for me. Make yourself as busy as possible, so you don't have down time to notice the effects.Take one day at a time or even one hour at a time. Its a long journey, and it isn't easy. I wish you the best of luck.

creewillow

@Bella38 What I’ve learned about Kratom is there’s no “one size fits all”. There are some generalizations about the effects of each type (red, green, yellow, white), but lots of latitude based on your metabolism and needs. For me, Kratom knocks out most of my w/d symptoms. I need to supplement loperamide for upset stomach and I still have issues regulating my body temperature (I’m hot, then I’m cold, then I’m hot again...you know how that goes). It completely helped me with the RLS. To the point where I had none at all. I originally bought a few different types of Kratom to test with before I completely stopped taking trams. I began testing on weekend, so if I had any adverse reactions, I’d be at home and not on the office. I used capsules so I could track my dosage better than scooping powder into juice. I just liked the simplicity of use the capsules offered. I started with a single capsule at night. When I knew that didn’t have any negative affects, I added a second. I held two capsules at night for about a week, then cut back my tram again. I cut back until I started feeling w/s symptoms, then I started working the Kratom capsules in during the day, one capsule at a time. I made it through the first week without tram using three capsules during the day and two at night. I took two Red Maeng Da in the morning, one later in the afternoon, and two Red Bali at bedtime. Again, there are a lot of variables. Capsules can be different sizes and hold different amounts. Different metabolism work very differently, but what I’ve written above worked for me. Of course, my goal at that point wasn’t to quit for good...only for a few weeks. When I started taking tram again, I took a much lower dose and was able to stick to that. Now, I’m tapering and doing my Kratom routine again. This time, my intent is to quit for good.

Bella38

Honorable member
So how did you figure out the Red is what worked for you out of the other brands? I don’t want to have to end up buying every kind etc... meaning is there a written guide/tutorial to read up on The different kinds to help figure out even where to try and start ?

creewillow

@Bella38 - I did a bunch of research online to learn about the different varieties and their differences. Reds came up repeatedly as being helpful with treating withdrawal symptoms, along with the issues I have which were helped by the meds I was taking (depression, sleeplessness, anxiety, etc). The. I researched vendors and found one I liked, who also offered “travel-sized” quantities. The travel packages essentially served as good testers for me to try different types and start getting a bead on what worked for me.

notcharlotte

Exalted member
@Bella38, have you tried to get a script for it? i have been offered tram for a uti and knee arthritis recently, offered, not requested. if you have a pain issue, they'll write you for 10 or 20, but then you are covered for tests.

jeopardyfan

Honorable member
I am on prescribed Tramadol but my recent test, I think it was a 10 panel, came up negative for tramadol. The one I took before that did show Tramadol. Another one I took showed Tramadol and codiene and morphine- I realized I eat the poppy seed bagels every day. When I cut out the bagels, the test did not even show the tramadol, so I'm not sure why because I was defintiely taking about 200- 300mg a day before I took that test.

ethom

Distinguished member
Could poppy seed bagels really cause a false positive? I have heard this before but thought you would have to eat bags of poppy seeds. Very curious.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks