• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Uncle Bungalos MoneyGram Tips

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungalobill

Distinguished member
Uncle Bungalos MG Tips for the Timid or Uninitiated

Since I usually take up DrBoris' bandwidth with idiotic off topic chatter, I decided to post something that might actually be useful to someone.

I've chatted with a few people who were nervous/hesitant about sending moneygrams in person and thought I'd offer up a few tips for what its worth. The following information has been semi carefully reviewed by my personal editor. Her name is Helen Waite. If you have any serious issues wth what you see below, please go to Helen Waite.

I use Walmart for a number of reasons - it's cheap, anonymous, and easy once you get the drill down. Below are my suggestions, based on doing business in Florida. YMMV.

The first time I did this - I hated it. I walked in with this look about me like I was guilty of something. I took the form and the vendor info I had printed off. I filled out the form wrong the first few times. After I finally got it right I turned around and noticed 3 busloads of total strangers had just arrived and they were all staring at me like I was guilty of something. The clerk behind the counter was with the department of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and ne'er dowells getting moneygrams at Walmart for illegal purposes and watched my every move. All of this of course was all in my mind but it seemed real at the time. Now it's a hoot. OK .. here we go:

1) Pick up a rew MG forms in advance. Fill the form out at home or someplace where you have time to check your sppeling (intentional bad joke - but you get the point) and address info. Also verify that the information the vendor gave you has a corresponding place on the form. My last vendor gave me a maternal last name. The form has no place for that. I contacted the vendor and we used maternal last name as first last name (there is space for two). A sample form is shown below. There's not a lot of info required. Filling the form out in advance also makes you more relaxed when you walk in. I was nervous the first few times. Now I enjoy it. it's a game.

2) When you go to the counter, smile and be friendly. I've sent money to Pakistan, Baja, and a country that starts with a V that I had never heard of before. On one occasion I had the clerk (who I spotted as a potential b*tch while approaching the counter) remark "Well Mr. XXXXX I see you've sent money there once before". I kept the smile, kept laser lock eye contact and said "Yes I have". End of discussion and I got the money sent. With that one exception, every clerk Ive dealt with was either friendly back or didn't care. Most of the time, they're just waiting for their shift to end.

3) Dress somewhat nicely. I'm usually in business clothes. I'm not suggesting you have to put on a tie, but try to avoid clothes with holes or tears in them.

4) I've read where people hate Walmart because the clerk always types things in wrong. That CAN happen .. I've never had the problem .. but here is how you protect yourself from that. When you pay for the MG, you get a big ole' honkin receipt back, along with a copy of the form you turned in. That big ole honkin receipt has a lot of information on it. What YOU care about is that the receivers name and address is correct. While you're at the counter, compare the receivers name and address on the receipt with the copy of the form you turned in. (HINT They should match - if they don't take care of that while you're standing there. It's a 30 second exercise to triple check while you're standing there. There is no valid reason not to check while you're there. You're not holding people up.

5) Below is a receipt I received with my personal info blanked out and generic info in red explaining what you'll see there. You'll notice teh MG form doesn't ask much. Squeemish about sending to Baja? The Florida Walmart MG form doesn't ask for a city. It's easy. Relax and have fun with it. And oh yeas, the red number circled at the bottom of the receipt image is the one you'll need to supply your vendor. by the way, send whatever is printed there, not 12345678 (unless that's actually the number). Anything in red in the images is sample information.

Sherlock

Lapsed Senior Member
Two Types of MoneyGram Forms

REMINDER!!!!! There are TWO types of MoneyGram Forms
Form Type 1 (Bungalobill's scanned form): a form you can use to send money to any country.
Form Type 2: a form made specifically to send money to Mexico. (Usually the more colorful form.)

You can use either Form Type 1 or Form Type 2 if you plan to make a payment to Mexico, however, the fill out order for Form Type 2 is different from the Form Type 1.

Last edited:

MNLady

Honorable member
REMINDER!!!!! There are TWO types of MoneyGram Forms
Form Type 1 (Bungalobill's scanned form): a form you can use to send money to any country.
Form Type 2: a form made specifically to send money to Mexico. (Usually the more colorful form.)

You can use either Form Type 1 or Form Type 2 if you plan to make a payment to Mexico, however, the fill out order for Form Type 2 is different from the Form Type 1.

I'd like to add this thought. I don't ever remember seeing a separate form here in the frozen north, not at Walmart anyway. I'm quite sure they just have two forms--domestic (within US) and international. So it might be a regional thing that they have two different international forms where you live, Sherlock. Maybe they have changed it.

MG is a worldwide operation. Remember, I worked there at one time. Only about 7% of the total business is transfers to Mexico. The European market is actually much larger.

Nobody knows the Euros I've seen.....lol

zanten14

This is very informative.. thankyou very much for explaining this.. I imagine the first couple times I will be nervous but i'm cure that will soon fade in time. Once again thankyou!

knocker

Lapsed Senior Member
Great post @Bungalobill. I suggest that you bold and underline the "compare the receivers name and address on the receipt with the copy of the form you turned in." The clerks can be lazy and not use the full name. It's a pain to have it fixed after the fact.

Again, thanks for taking the time to put this together.

rickduresh

@Bungalobill Very helpful indeed. I think I will going to my local walmart and giving this process a try. I will especially remember the line "I kept the smile, kept laser lock eye contact and said "Yes I have". " hahaha

angelin

sending MG is a no brainer...btu after few last times the clerk goes by my phone number...which is on record and my name and regular receiver pop out on screen...

I'd like to add this thought. I don't ever remember seeing a separate form here in the frozen north, not at Walmart anyway. I'm quite sure they just have two forms--domestic (within US) and international. So it might be a regional thing that they have two different international forms where you live, Sherlock. Maybe they have changed it.

MG is a worldwide operation. Remember, I worked there at one time. Only about 7% of the total business is transfers to Mexico. The European market is actually much larger.

Nobody knows the Euros I've seen.....lol

basehead

Lapsed Senior Member
ive never used money gram before but used other methods such as greendot moneypak and paypal.
whats the difference between moneygram and moneypak?
dont you get an MTCN number for both methods?

MayreeAngel2

Exalted member
Tip: brush up a little on spanish pronunciation. I've noticed Walmart folks don't often understand the destination......when I talk them through it.....i.e. "Jalisco, the j is pronounced like an h" . They think I know who I'm sending to.....I usually make little comments like I know the area, etc. I've never had a problem. I try to go the exact time so I know the cashier scheduled. Makes it easier.

Sherlock

Lapsed Senior Member
@MNLady, I'm from CA, and their is a heavy population of Mexicans here, so I think that is why the MG provides a Mexico specific form.

BillG56

I tend to go to the local supermarket that has MG....Walmart is quite a hike and I never get hassled by the 18yr old at the counter.

Walmart is pretty easy though. Great advice!!

codingsquirrel

This post helped me a ton! Had a lot of dis-comfort regarding moneygram but a lot of it is resolved! I am a avid user of greendot paypal cards but I must say, this dosen't seem that much harder. Thanks for spending the time to type this up!

mynewname

Honorable member
I just also wanted to give you a tip...if you are using a different name then what is on your id make sure you keep your copy of the moneygram form just incase something was sent wrong...without if or an id with the name you used they wont let you change anything on it. Also something I didnt know you can only send 3k permonth online. but unlimited permonth in person goodluck

R2D2

I checked the MoneyGram website and it appears that money can be sent online. Is this correct or am I missing something?

c729

Lapsed Senior Member
I checked the MoneyGram website and it appears that money can be sent online. Is this correct or am I missing something?

It can be sent online but they are very quick to flag transactions that they find suspicious without asking you. They just decline your transaction. Eventually they lock your account. This happened to me with my SY vendor. I have been able to go in and send in person to another vendor but no longer have the guts to use my SY vendor any longer.

R2D2

Thank you. I apologize for not knowing this but what does 'SY' mean? Also - does the same hold true for western union?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks