• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Uncle Bungalos MoneyGram Tips

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat2

Lapsed Senior Member
Duh, so sorry I didn't read through this stuff earlier

Thanks so much @uncle bungalo for the info. I had a terrible experience trying to send my first MG to Mexico yesterday. I thought I'd save time and use the online method, so I went through all the security hoops, which required password, 3 security questions, a secure phrase, choose an icon, last 4 of SSN etc, etc, and charged the cash transfer to my CC. They then e-mailed to say there was a problem and I needed to call which I did, and after asking some further nosy questions, such as "how did I know the person I was sending money to"....I wasn't prepared (cuz I hadn't read this), so I thought on my feet and said that I was sending it to a relative of a woman who worked for me. Hmmm. Also, when they asked online whether you were buying a good or service I probably should have put "no". What do you all recommend? Anyway, after all that, the rep said the MG was denying the transfer for security reasons, so I'm out of luck...whole thing cancelled. I had told my contact that I was sending it on yesterday afternoon, and had to let him know what happened. He recommends trying again at the in person place as you have all described. There is one at CVS and at Walmart. Now I'm afraid. What if it's denied again? Anyone else ever had that experience? I'm traveling Friday afternoon and the vendor says that if I send the money tomorrow (can't today since it's a holiday) he will overnight it and I'll receive Friday am which would be cool because it's before my trip. Also, it seems that when you do it in person you have to bring cash, is that right? Not monumental, but it involves another trip to the bank and more hassle getting cash. I thought it would be so much easier putting it on CC and paying at the end of the month. I asked the MG guy if it had anything to do with my CC and he said, "no". He said it was MG who denied the transaction. I would appreciate feedback, advice, others experience with this.

Thanks

Cat2

riz

Great info. I have had no problems using moneygram. I have used a local supermarket to make transfers and have also used their online service. Once they do a verification on your credit card the online part is easy, no questions and no dealing with accusatory staff.

Perchance

doing MG in person

Responding to cat2 (and hoping I'm clicking the right buttons and such, as I'm mostly a lurker here) - I've been sending MoneyGrams to Mexico for quite a while now, and I always do them in person and have never had a single problem. I think doing it online would make me nervous. Anyway, I use the grocery store to send MG, and have never had anyone ask me any questions. What really helps, I think, is that I use the Hispanic grocery store and I walk in looking as white as I can (not too easy for me, but since I genuinely don't speak Spanish I can swing it) and since the clerks there don't speak a whole lot of English, we communicate mostly in 2-3 word sentences and I never feel uncomfortable or paranoid. Anyway, if you have a place nearby that's run primarily by non-English speakers, that's what I'd recommend.
I'd never want to put a MG transaction on my credit card. At the store, they don't ask for my ID or any proof that I'm who I say I am (a good thing, since I'm not), and it's all anonymous and stress-free.

brian12

no problems

I have sent money western union a dozen times with not so much as a hiccup. I guess i come from an area that is multicultural sf bay area ca so they get money orders from every where or going every where rather. Jus tbe confident and dont take no shi*.

MellowMind

Honorable member
I had a quick question for whoever is familiar with the moneygram payment. The IOP gave me there first name, last name, city and country. I've never done a moneygram before so I'm assuming this is the only information I will need?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

queentresa

Lapsed Senior Member
Wow I read each and every post several times. They were so informative. I have never done a MG in my entire life. Even though I lived all over the world. I've always given the kids CC for the just in case days. I will say how excited I was to learn how to do a MG and I really want just to go and do one just to see if I could figure it all out. Thank you to everyone who posts this information.

cyb2004

Lapsed Senior Member
I had a quick question for whoever is familiar with the moneygram payment. The IOP gave me there first name, last name, city and country. I've never done a moneygram before so I'm assuming this is the only information I will need?

Typically, that is all the information regarding the receiver, that is needed. Would need to provide additional information about yourself obviously. If receiver is in Mexico, sometimes receiver's mother's maiden name is used as last name (in addition to married name which becomes middle)

scorpigoh

Lapsed Senior Member
If Pharmacy Reviewer gave out annual rewards for "Best and Most Useful Posts for the Year" IMO Uncle Bungalos MoneyGram Tips ought to win! Everytime that I send a MoneyGram I go back and look over this post to make sure that I do it right. So far so good. Thank you Uncle Bungalo! :)

DeepSouth

Banned
Nice post regarding MG, you should make one regarding MG online, lol. I tried it for first time the other day, got a message saying I had to call them, and was told I would have to go to a store, after they ask those questions. I know, I know.. shouldnt have even tried to send online, but I thought I would give it a shot. I ended up using WU online , to which Ive never had a problem, be online or in person. They never call or ask questions. But I agree, using Walmart with a MG located in it would be the best option, they are WALMART employess (no offense anyone!).. Just saying if you went directly to a MG agent/store or even WU for that matter, they would DRILL you to death.

Bungalobill

Distinguished member
If Pharmacy Reviewer gave out annual rewards for "Best and Most Useful Posts for the Year" IMO Uncle Bungalos MoneyGram Tips ought to win! Everytime that I send a MoneyGram I go back and look over this post to make sure that I do it right. So far so good. Thank you Uncle Bungalo! :)

Thanks for your kind words @scorpigoh . To tell a little secret, I look at it when I have to send a MG. I don't do MG often and I forget things.

Rhino

Lapsed Senior Member
I have used MG/WU for years, I have tried doing it online once but it got denied. Now I just go into a store, whether it be large big box stores or little markets. I prefer Walmart to send money only because the fees are cheaper. I was nervous the first few times that they were going to ask me questions about the country I was sending to. I had a story made up in my head just in case, but they never asked. I also walk up and grab a form and fill it out on a side counter, then walk up and hand it to them.

junebug888

I feel kind of stupid after reading through this thread, but I'm confused. I was told to send $85UDS my moneygram to an IOP which I'm planning on doing at a local Walmart. I've never done a moneygram before and was wondering if they always for charge currency conversion (India) or does the IOP just want the $85 that they requested on the reciept?
Thanks,
J

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 7 minutes after the last post:*

Also, what does the "receive options" on the MO mean?

Last edited:

hortense

Thank You, Thank you, Thank you!!

Hi Bungalobill,
I am a gutless noob who about soiled myself when asked to do the money gram thing ( but Sir it sez right here you take visa????!!!) Anyway after your most helpful and nerve calming post I will stroll in prepared, head held high and triple check that sucker regardless of the endless line of disgruntleds behind me.
With much gratitude,
Hortense

AnxietySucks24

Lapsed Senior Member
Hi Bungalobill,
I am a gutless noob who about soiled myself when asked to do the money gram thing ( but Sir it sez right here you take visa????!!!) Anyway after your most helpful and nerve calming post I will stroll in prepared, head held high and triple check that sucker regardless of the endless line of disgruntleds behind me.
With much gratitude,
Hortense

Super easy. If you trust your vendor, the MG part is not something to stress,over. ESPECIALLY in a Walmart.
Personal experience

I came from the gym in a T and shorts, they probably thought I was ordering steroids :D Never have, but I know you can.
They simply don't care usually, at least around here. They're min. wage employees or slightly above paygrade wise. They don't make enough to care where your money goes, as long as they do their job right.

Cash

Exalted member
Super easy. If you trust your vendor, the MG part is not something to stress,over. ESPECIALLY in a Walmart.
Personal experience

I came from the gym in a T and shorts, they probably thought I was ordering steroids :D Never have, but I know you can.
They simply don't care usually, at least around here. They're min. wage employees or slightly above paygrade wise. They don't make enough to care where your money goes, as long as they do their job right.

First time I did it was two weeks ago and I thought for sure 15 cops were going to swarm me like a SWAT team (I exaggerate, but you get my point). @AnxietySucks24 is right - those employees don't care (nor should they really)

:D

Easy peasy

goolds2000

Great advice BungaloBill. I sent my first moneygram order sunday and everything went down without a hitch. I only got one question from the cashier and that was if I was from the country I was sending money to. I said no and did not go any further in offering up an explanation to the lady. Went and followed the advice and went to walmart. Bada bing bada boom!

Paichka

Renowned member
Just for anyone who is concerned about using MoneyGram online - I always do it online. I know that sometimes transactions are denied, but calling the CC company clears this up easily, or at least it always has for me. I have one CC I use for MoneyGram and it always goes through in minutes. Much easier for me than having to go out and deal with a clerk, fill out the form and all that. I guess we are all different and I prefer to do it online. I have a brother who is having financial problems and I have been helping him out some and MoneyGram is great for that too. Hope this helps anyone who wants to do it online and has had any problems.

Chancer

Exalted member
I use MG quite a bit and I have found it easier to go into the shop the day before and ask for the form so you can fill it in at home..,,less stress!

I have always found it easier to have a back up story which usually involves my friend who is backpacking in such and such a country and has run out off money yada yada!

Never had a problem!!! ;)

grammy

Honorable member
I have used WU 3 times. You do not have to fill in the part where they ask you a security question that only you would know the answer. Just like the banks do when you do online
banking. You do not have to use your real name and address. I stupidly did and I could have ended up in a whole lot of trouble. I use SS and when you give them the MCN # you received they ask what name did you use and what is your name. I have used cash and so far not one problem. One clerk did ask me if I knew the person I was sending the money to and I said " of Course I do ". She then said you have to be careful cause a lot of fraud going around. I won't go back there for a while. No problems thus far. I think I will go to green dot for my next purchase. Seems safer....Rather lose my money than go to jail.

*This post was auto-merged. The following text was added 4 minutes after the last post:*

I don't think they care one bit. They never ask for ID or make you fill out the security questionier!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks