• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Uncle Bungalos MoneyGram Tips

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonxp

Lapsed Senior Member
the first time i have paid with MoneyGram the MG agent wanted to know, for what the payment is. i said it's a donation and i had no problems.

Last edited:

Diversion

Distinguished member
I use Western Union. I have not been asked if I know the person, or what the money was for. I think the best answer, if asked, would be a donation. I don't think anyone would question that.

deta

through western union or money gram i have never been asked any questions. then again, i usually intentionally send from (not being racist, simply stating an observation) lower, heavily hispanic/african american areas or check cashing places that don't ask questions period. usually find if you're sending money to india/pakistan, indonesia/uk, etc they just take info and send. not nosy at all like at walmart.

otisday

I just went to walmart to do my first MG, and after filling out the form and whatnot, she said I could pay with cash or debit card. Well, I was prepared to pay with a credit card and searching this on the web clearly says you can, but she said I couldn't. Since I didn't have the funds in my bank account I couldn't use my debit card, which is why I wanted to use a CC in the first place. Just wondering if this happened to anyone else?

junebug888

@otisday:

I never tried this with cc, but on the MG site itself it says:
"Where can I purchase a Money Order?

MoneyGram Money Orders can be purchased with cash at many supermarkets, financial institutions, check cashers, or other independent retailers. Look for locations displaying MoneyGram Money Order signs."

I thought I saw elsewhere on this forum that others used dc or cc for this transaction, so I'm confused. I only used cash when I did it and people have said it is safer to do so. I'm sure you could try MG online, but from what I've read it seems it has it's own set of problems.

J

Paichka

Renowned member
I personally have never had issues using MoneyGram online. Well, that isn't exactly true - apparently MoneyGram transactions are treated like cash advances so your CC must allow cash advances for a CC to be used. I have one CC I always use for MG online and find it SO much simpler than going through finding a place I am comfortable with, filling out paperwork, etc. It might take a phone call - just once - to the CC company to let them know that is is you making the the transaction. I use the online MG to send money to a relative I am helping out financially and have used to for international orders. It might seem a bit daunting to set up at first, but easy to use once it is set up. My biggest problem is remembering my password. :)

Diversion

Distinguished member
Western Union transactions are also treated like cash advances. I used to make the transfer online using a credit card. But to save the cash advance fees, I stop by a WU location at lunch time or on my way home from work and make the transfer in person using cash. its not work the additional fees that the CC company charges.

Tom

Och

Very good tips. I may add that when you run across the receivers with the multiple names like: first name, middle name, first last name and second last name, etc. and the names are long, be sure to also put the receiver's name in the message section in addition to the receiver's section. That way, if the name doesn't fit in the name section, the receiver will still be able to pick up the money. I don't know if Wegman's are located all across America, but they also have the forms that do not ask for city. CVS, aslo a local pharmacy, allows you to conduct most of the transaction over the phone directly with MG. The only thing the workers ar CVS do is collect the money. This gives a little bit of privacy.

DogsBestFriend

With regard to using credit cards for MG transfers, I think they don't allow them because its a way to get around the cash advance fees -- that's why @Paicha does them as cash advances for them to work. But of course cash advances have those additional fees and limitations. I have not tried to use a greendot/moneypak for MG transfers, not sure if they'd work. They should because its more like a debit card than a credit card but not sure. I guess its just easier for me to use cash for MG so that's what I do. I've never been able to perform a successful WU or MG transfer online. I tried a bunch of times when I first started using them and they never worked so I gave up. I prefer MG stores -- check cashing places and the like -- they are so quick as they handle them all the time. The red phone at CVS or wherever is slow as molasses.

That's my two cents :).

Paichka

Renowned member
My Chase CC, the one I use on MG for online transactions, does NOT charge the cash advance fee. For some reason, even with prepaid Visa, etc., Chase seems to be the easiest company to deal with for online and foreign transactions. I have no idea why this is the case - perhaps they are more of an international company than some of the others. Anyway, I am very happy with Chase.

BTW, I have NO affiliation with Chase in any way. :)

With regard to using credit cards for MG transfers, I think they don't allow them because its a way to get around the cash advance fees -- that's why @Paicha does them as cash advances for them to work. But of course cash advances have those additional fees and limitations. I have not tried to use a greendot/moneypak for MG transfers, not sure if they'd work. They should because its more like a debit card than a credit card but not sure. I guess its just easier for me to use cash for MG so that's what I do. I've never been able to perform a successful WU or MG transfer online. I tried a bunch of times when I first started using them and they never worked so I gave up. I prefer MG stores -- check cashing places and the like -- they are so quick as they handle them all the time. The red phone at CVS or wherever is slow as molasses.

That's my two cents :).

Last edited:

MayreeAngel2

Exalted member
@girlgerms this is the post you need to read. Hope this works for you.
Since I usually take up DrBoris' bandwidth with idiotic off topic chatter, I decided to post something that might actually be useful to someone.

I've chatted with a few people who were nervous/hesitant about sending moneygrams in person and thought I'd offer up a few tips for what its worth. The following information has been semi carefully reviewed by my personal editor. Her name is Helen Waite. If you have any serious issues wth what you see below, please go to Helen Waite.

I use Walmart for a number of reasons - it's cheap, anonymous, and easy once you get the drill down. Below are my suggestions, based on doing business in Florida. YMMV.

The first time I did this - I hated it. I walked in with this look about me like I was guilty of something. I took the form and the vendor info I had printed off. I filled out the form wrong the first few times. After I finally got it right I turned around and noticed 3 busloads of total strangers had just arrived and they were all staring at me like I was guilty of something. The clerk behind the counter was with the department of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and ne'er dowells getting moneygrams at Walmart for illegal purposes and watched my every move. All of this of course was all in my mind but it seemed real at the time. Now it's a hoot. OK .. here we go:

1) Pick up a rew MG forms in advance. Fill the form out at home or someplace where you have time to check your sppeling (intentional bad joke - but you get the point) and address info. Also verify that the information the vendor gave you has a corresponding place on the form. My last vendor gave me a maternal last name. The form has no place for that. I contacted the vendor and we used maternal last name as first last name (there is space for two). A sample form is shown below. There's not a lot of info required. Filling the form out in advance also makes you more relaxed when you walk in. I was nervous the first few times. Now I enjoy it. it's a game.

2) When you go to the counter, smile and be friendly. I've sent money to Pakistan, Baja, and a country that starts with a V that I had never heard of before. On one occasion I had the clerk (who I spotted as a potential b*tch while approaching the counter) remark "Well Mr. XXXXX I see you've sent money there once before". I kept the smile, kept laser lock eye contact and said "Yes I have". End of discussion and I got the money sent. With that one exception, every clerk Ive dealt with was either friendly back or didn't care. Most of the time, they're just waiting for their shift to end.

3) Dress somewhat nicely. I'm usually in business clothes. I'm not suggesting you have to put on a tie, but try to avoid clothes with holes or tears in them.

4) I've read where people hate Walmart because the clerk always types things in wrong. That CAN happen .. I've never had the problem .. but here is how you protect yourself from that. When you pay for the MG, you get a big ole' honkin receipt back, along with a copy of the form you turned in. That big ole honkin receipt has a lot of information on it. What YOU care about is that the receivers name and address is correct. While you're at the counter, compare the receivers name and address on the receipt with the copy of the form you turned in. (HINT They should match - if they don't take care of that while you're standing there. It's a 30 second exercise to triple check while you're standing there. There is no valid reason not to check while you're there. You're not holding people up.

5) Below is a receipt I received with my personal info blanked out and generic info in red explaining what you'll see there. You'll notice teh MG form doesn't ask much. Squeemish about sending to Baja? The Florida Walmart MG form doesn't ask for a city. It's easy. Relax and have fun with it. And oh yeas, the red number circled at the bottom of the receipt image is the one you'll need to supply your vendor. by the way, send whatever is printed there, not 12345678 (unless that's actually the number). Anything in red in the images is sample information.

drR

Banned
sy is a place low down in the usa if you know what i mean
are the other mexico mg forms just like the international one? i think its cheaper to use the mexico form

drR

Banned
i was also wandering how do you use those phones? i went to a place to send a mg and got a little freaked out when i saw it was a phone. so i drove to walmart and did it

Cash

Exalted member
i was also wandering how do you use those phones? i went to a place to send a mg and got a little freaked out when i saw it was a phone. so i drove to walmart and did it

Soon as you pick up the red phone, a call is placed and you are put on with a rep. They ask you the standard questions on amount, receiver name, place and then you go to the checkout counter at the store. They have it in some sort of queue, ring you up, and your gone. It's pretty easy except for the fact that you could be in the middle of a store broadcasting to the other patrons what you are sending and to whom.

Gullible

Exalted member
>It's pretty easy except for the fact that you could be in the middle of a store broadcasting to the other patrons what you are sending and to whom.

I always say its for pedro for those "special" pills i can't get anywhere else. I wondered why everyone looked at me funny. You mean you aren't supposed to talk about that stuff? Now you tell me.

Purplebomshell

Honorable member
Well, this info explains why my very first MG online transaction woudln't go through. I guess I will have to try it in person.:(

Poink

Distinguished member
I really appreciate this thread. I had found a couple of vendors that I really wanted to try but wouldn't because they only took moneygram and WU. Having never used either was too nervous about the whole process. Have a friend who is a PC gamer who sent quite a bit of money WU and she was scammed and there was no recourse. Ever since I have quickly ruled out the MG/WU vendors.

Now I really want to try this at least once. Don't know when that might be, but when I find the right deal I will feel a lot better thanks to this thread. thanks.

azula

Eminent member
I have used both COD and moneygram once. I had never used these in my entire life. They were easy and great. The only thing I did wrong with my MG is I failed to grab more forms on my way out the door!

Oh, also, I did have to go in person to do my MG. Online did not work. I also think it was much less of a hassle tbh.

Now I find myself no longer being able to use COD at this particular vendor, now the only option is CC.. and don't know the best way to go as I read differing opinions on this. More research. Again. Oh joy. Why don' they just do COD or moneygram now that I have been there done that and it was easy and fine.. <headdesk>

NewarkCap

Honorable member
I use Walmart for a number of reasons

That’s good advice but I think I have a better system. I avoid the big chains and I go with the local mom and pop stores that are Money Gram agents. They are happy to take your business and never ask questions. The stores I go to actually enter the information for me. I don’t have to fill any MoneyGram forms or use those dumb red phones. All I do is sign the receipt and hand over the money.
Here is what I do:

Step 1: At home type the receiver’s information on a piece of paper.

Step 2: Drive to the local MoneyGram agent. I tell them my cell phone number which brings up my MoneyGram account info. Hand over the paper with the receiver info. The agent enters all the information in their terminal.

Step 3: After the agent prints your receipt with reference number carefully check the information. If the information is correct, sign the receipt and go on your way.

You can find these types of stores in ethnic neighborhoods. It's fun too because these stores usually have lots of interesting foods..

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks