• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Uncle Bungalos MoneyGram Tips

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewarkCap

Honorable member
i was also wandering how do you use those phones? i went to a place to send a mg and got a little freaked out when i saw it was a phone. so i drove to walmart and did it
I hate those dam red phones. Try and find an agent that will enter the information for you.
Search the internet for a MoneyGram agent near you that is NOT a big national chain.. In other words a small locally owned store.

frogndprincess

Lapsed Senior Member
Seems to be a wide variety of answers to the how much is too much to send at one time to one person question. Does anyone know for sure what the amount is for international MGs that sends up the flag. Splitting up a MG to different receivers at the same location seems odd to me and I wounder if it seems so to MG.
Here's the issue. A receiver must be changed (amount just under $500) and a new order needs to be placed planning to send same amount. To send say 950 internationally is it better to split up or send whole? The receiver location would be the same but it would go to two different receivers if split-up. Thoughts?

Gullible

Exalted member
I've heard that anything over $900 means they have to ask for id. I'm pretty sure thats the case at wu and probably mg too. I would split it into two. I think it has something to do with that nasty patriot act.

Spider89

Using the MG Red Phones - MG will ask for id over $900. Then when you go to pay the clerk taking your money has to verify your ID against a window that pops up on the MG system they are using.

Gullible

Exalted member
I just switched from wu to mg and made my first payment tonight. I used real info just in case they asked for id. Some people have said they were asked but most were not. I was asked for id. What a hassle with the red phone, wu is much easier and never got asked for id. They charged me $11 for a small payment, wu is only 10. I think i'll use wu next time with a fake name.

The person on the phone was hard of hearing and i was shouting my info into the phone. Hassle city.

Carter

Renowned member
I've seen those stupid MG red phones at the CVS pharnacies, I don't think I could ever bring myself to use one. Fortunately I have 2 Walmarts within reasonable driving distance.

NeauxDoubt

Exalted member
I have never used MG and always given my real info with the exception of my phone number which I have changed to avoid the "frequent" user questions or scrutiny. It's been 6 weeks or so since I have had to use this payment option. @Gullible glad your transfer went smoothly. I'm concerned about all the flagging going on.

Gullible

Exalted member
I asked the clerk why i had to show id since i knew it wasn't required. He mumbled something about how they "needed" it. I think next time i'll use wu since no id is asked, or at least they didn't last time which was a while, come to think of it. When the receiver successfully picks it up, i will know that no snag is in the works and i can use fake info. Also wu is a little cheaper, $10 as opposed to $11. Hey, a dollar isn't worth much anymore but every little bit helps.

Mecha

Renowned member
Could you stop posting this all over the place and give us more information using ONE thread. It is nice of you to post this but would you kindly give us some background and stop posting the same information all over the place. It will get read even though you post it only once.

FrankieD

Bitcoin - electronic currency that is slower than sh.. Shi... Snail mail!

@Mecha there are thousands of posts in this website. What is the harm in somebody posting something that he/she considers important for other people to know? I mean, it's not like you are being charged for the bandwith! The second you see that you know what the message is about just flick your attention elsewhere....

Now @Gullible I often wondered why you chose that screen name. After taking your advice (and @Sage) and deciding to explore the Bitcoin universe I have to say that I believe I understand just who the Gullible person is!!!!!!! (ME!!!) I am very disappointed! I went to the COINBASE.COM site and followed the procedure to link my "dirty money" checking account with the Coinbase site. I did not like doing it, but I did understand they had to have some way of me transferring money into a Bitcoin account. Oh, my "dirty money" checking account exists to be compromised.... it never has more than $250 in it. So I gave them my banks routing number, my account number and they did their thing with the 2 very small deposits into my checking account and then withdrew that money. Now I was VERIFIED. GOOD TO GO. That was Sept 10 of last week. I immediately ordered the purchase of 1 bitcoin to be put into my account so that I could go to the Land of OZ. The next day the money was removed from my checking account and I got an e-mail saying that I would be the proud owner of 1 Bitcoin on Monday the 16th... WTF That is still 2 days away! In my opinion this is unacceptable. I don't care about the hype that early Bitcoin investors tripled their investment... That is not what I bought a Bitcoin for! I thought electronic currency would be speedy in nature... instead I am sitting here being pissed off.

You might say that the next one will be easier, or that if I bought 2 bitcoins during the same transaction my account would be good to go when I want to order another month's supply of moonbeams. That may well be true, but I have to tell ya that a Google search today showed clearly that I am not the only person annoyed by the time it takes to "mine a bitcoin". The initial difficulties and time constraints make this currency NOT the currency of choice for my needs.

taralumia

Exalted member
@Mecha there are thousands of posts in this website. What is the harm in somebody posting something that he/she considers important for other people to know? I mean, it's not like you are being charged for the bandwith! The second you see that you know what the message is about just flick your attention elsewhere....

I'm not trying to cause trouble or anything, but I think that post may have referred to a post that is no longer here. I don't think @Mecha was referring to the general conversation here, which I agree is always relevent. I think some posts were removed from this thread, so sometimes other posts look a bit out of place. That's all I'm saying.

Mecha

Renowned member
Thank you very much @taralumia you are correct.

@SamadhiSuigeneristhe post above mine was deleted. It was from a person posting all over the board that his friend had received a phone call from the FBI or DEA (I forget which) and then was visited by them.

It is awful when the post you are responding to has been deleted and you are standing there naked. : ) Poor @taralumia this is the second time she has had to defend a post of mine. Thank you.

Last edited:

taralumia

Exalted member
No problem. I think it's just something we all have to keep in mind. There have been several times when I was reading and saw a post that just seemed completely out of line with the conversation above. I'd be all ready to jump in and ask, "What's up with this post?" Then I'd look at the dates or hear about some flame war and realize that the thread had probably been modified. I think it would help if the post numbers would reflect the missing posts.

Roz

Renowned member
Good thread.

I've done WU many times but never MG.
Asked a few times and said "Daughter in-law needs plane fare home."

Yes the most important part of the process is don't leave the counter until you 100% verify
everything is spelled correctly. I've had that happen several times.
Then they can fix it right there, right away.

If you wait till you get home it's a major hassle.

Also it's often a tricky name so I block print on separate sheet to show them
as a reference while they are entering in info.

NewarkCap

Honorable member
I get my MoneyGrams sent at a small Mexican grocery store. I print out all the receiver’s information and just hand the clerk the paper. He types in everything.
Once I verify everything is correct. I give him the money and he sends it. I get my receipt and leave. He never asks for my ID. He never asks any questions.
A lot of small stores operate like this and they really appreciate the business.

infojunky

Banned from MG. Guess this is forever? I at least got a reference # to get a refund. I've always been a very easy customer. Never made refund demands- bit the bullet when I got scammed, careful to never send outrageous amounts of money at once or more than one transaction per month. Largest transaction was below the $400 USD range. So disheartening. I guess I could have used a fake name or whatever but they always want ID ph# etcetera...:(

jandagoldman

Banned
If my moneygram was blocked online because "the recipient is suspected of gamblimg" will they block it if i go to walmart and send it by paper form? Do they do any sort of check on the recpient like that?

C_Dub

Lapsed Senior Member
Nothing could get me to go to walmart! (swill mart)

Please, for the love of Mike, STOP necro-ing older threads just to post one or two sentences that contribute absolutely nothing helpful to the thread!

Posts that just repeat what someone else has already posted, or posts that only contain your opinion about something tangentially related to the thread (kinda like this one), or posts that are basically just an affirmative statement to what someone else has written (that is what the 'Like' and 'Helpful' ratings buttons are for) are generally not quality posts contributing to the community.

It appears you are only trying to up your post count to gain access to the Senior Section, but your recent posting content is not the way to go about increasing your post count. I believe that everyone has some experiences or knowledge that could potentially be of benefit to other members, and posts containg that kind of information is what makes for quality, helpful posts to our community.

Thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks