what are you reading

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

JAMMY B

Honorable member
I am a avid book reader and will read just about anything at the moment in reading 50 shades of grey didn't think i would enjoy it but I am I have also just ordered the sequal and a couple of books by virginia Andrews what are you guys/gals reading :kiss:

ThePoppaSmurf

Lapsed Senior Member
Right now, I'm not reading anything, lol. I am one of those people that go through spurts of blasting through a few books then move onto something else. Probably some ADD or something, who knows.

However, as far as authors go, I really enjoy guys like Kurt Vonnegut and Chuck Palahnuik.

mancman

Distinguished member
I just finished reading two books of short stories by Raymond Carver...Tired of reading novels...with our short attention span these days I'm surprised the short story isn't more popular.
Just finished reading 'Obama's Wars' - I couldn't imagine Trump dealing with such geopolitical complexities like Obama...people thought Bush was slow but I discovered he wasn't as simple as people thought.

Victoria123

Honorable member
I'm switching between reading and listening to Before I Let You In by Jenny Blackhurst. It's a psychological suspense type, I'm only on Chapter 5 but enjoying it so far, I'm still at the describing character early chapters etc.

Ellyn

Distinguished member
The Witches, by Stacy Schiff. It's a very well-researched and well-written history of the Salem witch trials.

JAMMY B

Honorable member
@Ellyn that sounds like my kinda thing what are your thoughts on it

- - - Updated - - -
@VVictory105 I have read it and I loved it let me no what you think

equinox

Lapsed Senior Member
I just finished reading two books of short stories by Raymond Carver....

@mancman - Carver's a hard one to beat. I remember having a great time reading 'What We Talk About When We Talk About Love' at the same time as Reading 'Beginners'. I taped the books together and read the edited short story first, then Carver's version. It was always Carver's hands down.

qnPMbENITA6nFqQXgpmh9A_thumb_1690.jpg

For those that don't know, 'Beginners' is Carver's unedited, raw work, and 'What We Talk About..' is the one that was the heavily heavily edited and published version of the book by his 'master sculptor-editor, Gordon Lish'. So much so, it was almost seen that Lish was as much the author of the work.

Your post has re-inspired me to head back to the books and re-read again.

As a side note - I've double read books a few times - I remember reading Catcher in the Rye with '60 years later' - the unauthorized sequel to Catcher which brings back Caulfield as an old man. I read a chapter of Salinger's and then a chapter from 60 years later to see if I could convince myself that the writing was as brilliant as Salinger's.

Then sometimes I'll tape 2 random books together alternate a chapter of each to see if, like a dream, the 2 worlds somehow being to overlap. They tend to and it's quite a strange reading experience.

I did buy Paul Auster's 4321 - but at 900 pages, I'm struggling to take the step into starting. I know I won't regret it, but it's just such a huge time commitment. I could do a page a day for 3 years.

mancman

Distinguished member
@equinox - I haven't read 'Beginners' but I'll jot that one down to read. I've read 'What We Talk About When we Talk About Love' and ' Will You Please be quiet, Please?' he's so succinct and precise in his prose....Made me start chipping away at my own stories again.

I also Love Spalding Gray - 'Swimming To Cambodia' and 'Monster In A Box'....fantastic!

toby

Eminent member
I haven't wanted to read any books since the bunch of Houellebecq novels I read a few months ago, till I found this article called 'Southern Sublime' in The New York Review of Books written up yesterday. It's about a new book with the poet Derek Walcott and the painter Peter Doig, who are from Port of Spain, Trinidad. Just after reading this very good article, I looked at NYTimes and Walcott had just died (yesterday.) It sounds like a beautiful thing, and I'm getting it shortly. They are both very involved in the sense of place as I am, this was also a thing that was emphasized through the years esp. by Joan Didion (mostly her California and L.A. esp.), and more recently Knausgaard in Norway and Sweden. One example of what I mean by this is I don't like much people setting books or movies in places they haven't been, whether it was Updike's Brazil or Lars Von Trier's films set in the U.S., where he's never been (or hadn't when he made movies about it a few years ago.) But this is fantastic, especially Walcott's devotion to St. Lucia and other parts of the Caribbean, it's something rare that you'd find nowhere else. Pissarro was born in Charlotte Amalie, but left it for Paris, and devoted little of his painting to his homeland. This happens, it happens to the greatest, as Henry James to a great degree.

Last edited:

JAMMY B

Honorable member
@toby I have just googled southern sublime it looks beautiful I may get it my self let me no what you think if you read it:kiss:

djrick

Exalted member
The Witches, by Stacy Schiff. It's a very well-researched and well-written history of the Salem witch trials.

I enjoyed the book but I've read reader reviews that thought her writing style in this book (her Cleopatra book is supposed to be a great read) was tedious.

I just finished One Child: The Story of China's Most Radical Experiment
by Mei Fong

A fascinating book of a many sided story. Just 200 pages, Mei Fong adds personal perspectives on the one-child policy.

In a country with a giant gender imbalance--there are 30 million more males than females of marriageable age now--you'd think that women, being such a sought-after commodity, would enjoy great social power but the book proves this, and many other Western assumptions about Chinese modern culture, to be wrong.

djrick

Exalted member
Hi @Jammy0121

I picked up the book w/o knowing much about that era. I found it a good read and I learned more than a few things about Salem. I only read a few reviews after I read it. For me, I found it a good read. There are detailed notes at the front to refer to as to who is who in the community (a large cast of characters) so it was quick to reference if needed.

There was mention of another book about the same era, The Heretic’s Daughter---recipient of the David J. Langum Sr. award for American historical fiction by Kathleen Kent that was recommended. I'm going to jot it down on books I want to read list.

One Child should be on everyone's to read list.

Best.

Delta L1011

Distinguished member
My 89 year old mother, God Bless Her, she is iMHO a expert on the moral turpitude and all of the human suffering from World War II
specifically, the Nazi conflict from around 1936 World Olympics, to, the end of the war in Western Europe, one reason we lost a 19
year old family member (before I was born at invasion at Normandy, in France. My Dad, served right after Japan surrendered and, thus
was stationed in the Philippines, before I was born. 1946 to 1948. My Uncle flew was Pilot not 1st officer or co-pilot to the B-29
Army Air Force in 1942 to 1944, dropping bombs over Germany. My uncle and myself served our country for the USAF for 6 years, much
later on, for me, during the Vietnam conflict, I was very aware Flight Surgeons dispensed Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) for pilots,
very commonly who flew B-52's to C-141 cargo jets into and out of DaNang AFB in South Vietnam, I even got a flight surgeon in the year
1973 to prescribe William H Rorer Quaalude 300mg tablets, for my last tour of duty (methaqualone) @Ramey AFB in Puerto Rico, as
well as dispensaries and infirmaries at Naval Seaport bases also in Puerto Rico no problem in my "1505" uniforms or fatigues. Just
methaqualone,as I was not on flying status, per se, I was the Clerk Typist II staff sgt who typed up all of the flight orders and the
passenger manifests for all military aircraft departing the base.

Thus back to the topic, I have been absorbed in a gifted book given to me a most absorbing read, title is this.

BLITZED subtitle "Drugs in Nazi Germany" by Norman Ohler, Hardback original cover and text, UK f20.00 Canada $42.95
a translation in 2015 from a copyright in the German language to the English language in 2016 by Penquin Random House UK
ISBN 978-0-241-25699-2

I have only read about 53 pages of this very harsh true story of a ton of references of the extreme use of high grade very powerful
drugs, the chemist involved, and it goes all the way to the top with, "Tremmler - Werke of Berlin who got the patent on the world's
first super high grade methamphetamine, on 31 October of 1937 called "PERVITIN" (Fentral und kreislauf-wirksumes Analepticum
I never knew that the late Dr. Theodor Morell personally injected liquid crystal methamphetamine into Adolf Hitler from October 1937
by his side, his personal MD over and over and over until the very end, for years and years. especially power injections just before
the Reich Chancellor quote "to be able to hold up his arm for as long as possible when doing the Nazi salute" unquote page 32 and
before his many speeches with a injection of crystal methamphetamine before his many speeches.

The head chemist of "Pervitin" was Dr. Fritz Hauschild. quote page 37, "which put American Benzedrine very much in its shadow, used
by some Americans during the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin in 1936" Pervitin was highly advertised for Psyche und Kreislauf

Depressionen

Hypotonie

Mudigkeit

Narkolepsie

postoperative
Rekonvaleszenz

Boxed chocolates spiked with the methamphetamine (Pervitin) were even put on the market quote page 42 My next subchapter to read
is on page 53 titled, "The German Army Discovers a German Drug" It is already a uncomfortable read, I am not endorsing this book
for everyone on the Senior Status of this PR forum, is is a scary read. I have seen a lot a rough play within USA Cocaine Cowboys days
and I lived in exile, my choice in from 1982 until 1992 to escape the dangers inside the USA from Washington DC especially to Miami,
Florida, to escape with 114,000 Anglo's like me, when the streets were dangerous no shxt, like, the fictional movie, SCARFACE, with
American icon actor Al Pacino, released in December of 1983, even more violent that all of the Godfather books and movies, from
Mario Puzo's book and USA movies series of the Mafia, all during the 1970's. Ref: Mariel Invasion in April of 1980 Miami Fla USA, of
tens of thousands of Cuban prisoners and criminals escaping to invade the state of Florida. I always liked the original Cuba people,
and one of my Sales Trainers who taught me a skill for a decade was born in Havana, Cuba, I highly respect to this day. Actually
the late Pablo Escobar made things much, much worse with his Colombian Cartel, who used Miami Fla, as a wholesalers
USA beach head for distribution for the remaining 48 states in the USA. Escobar killed in gun battle in his country Dec 1993.

That is all I have on my book of the month club. I understand already there may be films about drugs in 1930's and 1940's
Germany on Netflix, someone tips me off on yet another forum I lurk on from time to time. What a cruel shame millions of people
were murdered, by the SS perhaps psychotic on Methamphetamine.

Studies, I have the sources, prove, that, after 3 years of intense use of high grade crystal methamphetamine, like the Germany
pharm plant produced induces psychosis in 2/3 of all humans within 3 years use if taken continuously.

Drug Designer I have his photograph, developed a combination of Eukodol, cocaine, Pervitin, and Dicodid, the strongest substances
in the world, thrown together, at random, especially for the Germany Navy including Admiral Staff Surgeon Dr. Greul. for U Boats.
Drug Designer was Dr. Gerhard Orzechowski, head pharmacologist of the Naval Supreme Command on the Baltic and professor at
Kiel University.

Last edited:

Marcie

Honorable member
I am reading Spill Simmer Falter Wither by Sara Baume. It is beautifully written and the talent of the young women who weaves her tale from the perspective of an isolated middle aged man is extraordinary.

Trainspotter

Lapsed Senior Member
Right now I'm reading David Ickes new book "phantom self". Pretty eye opening stuff, I'll deffo be re-reading George Orwells 1984 when I'm finished

Much love
Andie x

Keith K Stone

Renowned member
Right now I'm reading a very complex book by Dr. Seuss, It's called "Green Eggs & Ham".

This one may take a few months to read......
[color='invisible_dot'].[/color]