what are you reading

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

amy43

Honorable member
Birthday Letters, a book of poems by Ted Hughes, which is about his ex wife, Sylvia Plath. Was not a big fan of his but am compelled by the emotional honesty and striking imagery in the book.
Anne Sexton, her poetry is gripping, original and refreshingly blunt and honest. Raw and seeking, so another unique experience. I like to switch between poetry, literature, biography and psychology, also
about mental health and have become interested in how the brain affects the emotions and then the body, as my wanting to learn and understand more seems to have deepened as I age!
Bought a book about the brain but have yet to plough through it! Books about trauma, as I have been through it,and am still trying to heal, and can read when the depression is at a low level. So I appreciate the time
I can read more, as I have spent a long time in the dark, too depressed to pick up a book, and still have many bad days when I cannot. So I missed reading, and miss the days when I cannot find that place to escape to, and learn, or just wallow in another world.

Last edited:
Reactions: M77

M77

Exalted member
I already posted this earlier in the thread, but I was in the middle of it. Now that I finished it, it was one of the best books I ever read. It’s Elton John’s memoir, called “Me.” Even if you don’t like this kind of book, it won’t matter. Of course it helps if you like Elton John, but the book is so well written, and has plenty of humor, even if it is directed by Elton, at himself, it had parts that made me laugh out loud. I literally (no pun intended) told everyone I know, that would listen, to read it.

creewillow

I’m reading a biography of Anais Nin. I think she was profoundly troubled and absolutely fascinating. Sections of the biography were pieced together from her diaries, but she told so many different versions of her life story to so many different people, even her own diaries contain different accounts of the same experiences. The author has researched Anais for years and admits even she isn’t sure what is truth and what has been embellished or straight up fabricated. I find the whole thing completely interesting.

SusieQ

Honorable member
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Not something I'd usually go for because it's based around Greek mythology (not really my thing). I can't put it down. Mixture of brilliant story telling , mystery, fantasy and so well written. I read to much fodder and this is a breath of fresh air

snappy711

Distinguished member
I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt I watched the Irishman on Netflix and want to see how it compares to the book it was based on.....BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

liltiki2

Honorable member
The Beautiful Ones - Prince
Grammarians - Cathleen Shine
The Five = Halie Rubenhold
I usually have a few I'm reading, depends on the mood. Love ebooks for that.

M77

Exalted member
I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt I watched the Irishman on Netflix and want to see how it compares to the book it was based on.....BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
@snappy711
I loved the movie too, although surprisingly many people didn’t. Was it worth reading the book, after seeing the movie?

Delta L1011

Distinguished member
Have Mercy ! (Confessions of the Original Rock 'n' Roll Animal WOLFMAN JACK)

I am re-reading a book about Bob Smith (real name) in the original hardbook cover, a Biography (authored by both Wolfman Jack & Bryan Laursen (1995)
ISBN : 0-446-51742-9. (whom I remembered mostly from the MIDNIGHT SPECIAL on TV. (a decade of fun) The book is really a wild story, with lots of pictures in the 363 pages!
Warner Books NY NY I first heard of him from the movie "American Graffiti" ("a lifetime ago") ...by Director George Lucas.

I guess I was star-struck a bit, from meeting him in person, all dressed in black (with a bodyguard) @Jax (Jacksonville FLA USA) Airport.(1980) If you like the history of
rock n roll from the era of the late 1950's to the late 1980's, this might be a book for you. IMHO. (not shilling for this book) as when I first purchased it in the mid 1990's,
Bob Smith had just went RIP, near Kitty Hawk, NC, & I only sped read thru the book, some 25 yrs ago & did not read the entire book. With most real DJ's now gone in this era.....
here & now, I guess it has more meaning to me, in the here & now !!

snappy711

Distinguished member
@snappy711
I loved the movie too, although surprisingly many people didn’t. Was it worth reading the book, after seeing the movie?
@M77 I got sidetracked so i'm still working on the book but so far I'm enjoying it and the movie so far is holding true to the book

DulyNoted

Exalted member
On @Katey 's suggestion I read "the Season of the Witch" by James Herlihy author of Midnight Cowboy. Entertaining diary style story of a soon to be 17 year old girls Woodstock years adventures as a runaway in NYC,

Kerrythe1

An American Covenant by Lucile Scott. It's different from what I usually read, but very interesting. I'm glad I found it.

Frank Leigh

Honorable member
Just coming to the end of Pay it Forward. I saw the film years ago and saw the book the other week in a charity shop so picked it up. Its a great read and definitely a behaviour change we should be looking at in these dark days. Well recommended. Not sure what I'll go for next as I've got a few waiting - something uplifting I reckon!