What is the COVID-related situation where you are located?

Seychelle

Honorable member
Here in the southern US half of the people don't give a fark and they don't wear masks, don't do social distancing at grocery stores.

With the way things are going around the country I don't see the point how we're all not going to get infected at some point. Nobody will take this serious until they are personally affected.

Which part of the South?
Curious

Thx

fundus

Honorable member
It's been a minute since I've checked in but I'll respond to your query because it's worse than ever here, that being the hot mess that is Florida.

Reactions: lbz

Synergistic

I drove by a church the other day with people congregated and not one of them was wearing a mask. Go on a store and I get weird looks because I'm wearing one. The denial is real here in the south.

Reactions: lbz

Bella38

Honorable member
I live in the NE of the states ...
Back in March it was bad with cases of positives but it died down tremendously ... Fast forward to Mid June, all hell has broken loose.. we have over 300 new cases daily being reported . One of my Aunt/Uncle actually has covid-19 along with two of there friends . One of the friends has been on ventilator for about a week now .. My Aunt was just released from hospital but is still sick. She says it is the worst she has ever felt and hurts to even talk and breathe .. Thy both are in their 50’s and both in decent health until this hit them. .

They tell us by this fall around the start of flu season - October/November is going to be about the time the 2nd wave hits us in the states and hit hard than the first initial go around.

I do t know if it is as bad as what the government reports to us as the daily report of new cases but this virus is real .. And if you’re unfortunate one to get it - it’s definitely one harsh illness on the body.

Then we have some pretty bad riots that recently has been going on.

This country has went to shit real fast and what a shame that is! So many Americans out of work because of this virus. If the 2nd wave hits us as hard as they are advising I don’t even want to see those days coming.

Scary times we live in...Stay safe everyone!

Ellyn

Distinguished member
Covid is on its way up again my my neck of the woods too, having previously dropped a bit. This is on horrifying bug - if you all are not wearing masks, PLEASE get hold of some and WEAR THEM (sorry to yell). It's not just that this virus has a comparatively high mortality rate (compared to flu) - the morbidity is really bad. They're finding that it can affect not only the lungs but also the kidneys, heart, neurological effects, weird clotting and strokes - lots of bad things, and for those who don't die the recovery is often not linear, but involves relapsing disease. And we just do not know what the long term effects will be on those who recover from symptomatic disease.

EVERYONE in my family wears a mask every time we go anywhere apart from walking in our neighborhood, and even then we have masks to put on just in case. I have updated my health care directive or Covid - if I get it and am hospitalized, high-flow O2 is fine, intubation with a ventilator is not fine. The recovery from ventilation is awful and, according to my sister (a nurse who sees this up close), full recovery is pretty rare so far. You are alive, but your life does not go back to what it was and may never go back to what it was. I want nothing to do with a ventilator (so I stay home and mask when I must go out).

anthrtrvlr

Covid was on the way down for about four months. we were about to get loosened restrictions. that would mean farmers market close by opening, and my gym letting me in to use the weight machines.

But in recent weeks the warm weather + excessive recreation, or people going back to work, or a number of causes -- has made the #of new cases shoot back up way higher than ever before. SHIT

I distance and mask up. I don't need more lockdown brought on us by e.g: bunch of drag racers congregating in parking lot, bare faces together examining each others engines. (Saw that myself.) Or 100+ people crowding at beach, few masks or distancing. (experienced by my friend's friend.)

The farmers market (as opposed to Industrial Ag so-called food in big box stores) is not a recreation or an entertainment. Neither is my gym. I NEED those for my health.
I have obeyed the regulations, but get nothing for it. ... I'm doing the right thing Because it's the right thing. But, ...

This big flare looks really bad. Numbers shooting up are mostly people in twenties and thirties. Also older teens. All age groups have gone up. But old people (like me), 60 - 80+, remain the lowest.

If people have to work, I sympathize there. COMPLETELY. I'm really counting my pennies.

Canada and European countries have UBI, M4A, rent/mortgage freeze, Small Bus Support. They REALLY DO have ALL that.
But not to complain; we get to have Trillionaires.

Was talking to someone from Sweden who can not believe the incompetence of the American Gov't, combined with the idiocy of sections of the American public. Don't know why she's here. Maybe they won't allow her back in Sweden.

I'm in Northwest. with the few surviving southern Orcas, and Northcoast Indigenous. The Orcas and Indigenous also think the Americans are nuts.

Last edited:

Jazie

Exalted member
Anyone remember the 'Hong Kong Flu' in 1968? Well I do. I was the only one in the family home not to get it. A lot more deadly than Covid has been, so far. I get it. Covid is bad, but I'm still unsure forcing economic collapse is the way to battle this. Plus social isolation, but I can congregate in my city on the streets, but not in a parking lot for church.

I've never had a flu shot. Not one, and I will have to be physically forced to take one for Covid. How many variations from multiple countries are being worked on and clinical trials only with a few? Nope, catch me after 6 Billion have been verified. I'm not going to search for Internet Meds to fix side affects.

Lol, enough of my rant on this... (ducking from incoming. But, I do wear a Mask)

Ellyn

Distinguished member
I had the Hong Kong flu, as did a sibling. I remember being ghastly sick, but not much else. I was in school at the time.

Covid is quite different from the Hong Kong flu or any other flu in that it does more than kill - it maims. With influenza you get sick, sometimes very sick (and sometimes just a tad sick), but then either you die (rare) or you get well (which is what usually happens). With Covid you can get sick and stay sick for a long time. You can develop weird blood clots which can cause strokes, kidney injury, heart injury. It's really different and really bad. This is no flu, and we need to give it the respect it deserves.

And if they come up with a vaccine for this I am definitely getting the vaccine. I get a flu shot annually and while I've gotten the flu several times during seasons when I've gotten the shot, every post-shot flu has been mild - 3 to 5 days and I am up and at 'em. I believe in vaccines. They're not perfect, but the diseases they protect against are usually worse.

macy539

I'm in the SE US and we have had an increase in cases in the last two weeks but not a big increase in hospitalizations or deaths. I think most of the cases have been younger people that don't have symptoms or mild symptoms.

lbz

I started this thread shortly after Covid was declared a pandemic. Now I live in the epicenter. Where is leadership? I've never felt my life was as worthless as it is now.

ETA: I've been quar'd up the entire time. Since March 11 I have only left my residence a handful of times (my partner handles outside errands such as groceries). I've been a victim of incoherent violence for wearing a mask while walking my dog 80 feet from my home. I have many cronic health conditions and consider the virus not just to be the viral event in your body, but the lasting effects that many "recovered" patients endure. I simply cannot live with another chronic health issue so I have been extremely vigilant. Even though I have protected and sheltered myself, I still feel vulnerable because of the recklessness of my community.

This is the year that wasn't.

Last edited:

lbz

I'm in the SE US and we have had an increase in cases in the last two weeks but not a big increase in hospitalizations or deaths. I think most of the cases have been younger people that don't have symptoms or mild symptoms.
Im in the SE and my county broke it's daily death rate record four consecutive days out of this week and then closed all Covid testing sites statewide in advance of a tropical storm that is weaker than many normal summer (unnamed) storms in this region.

The hospitals are at capacity even after converting non-ICU rooms and spaces into to ICUs.

Residents in neighborhoods that contain morgues are suffering from the literal stench of death as funeral homes struggle to process the overflow of corpses that sadly must be temporarily housed in refrigerated trucks. The trucks are refrigerated but the summer sun is strong and not much can be done to impede the smell. Short of less people dying.

Raspberry

Eminent member
I am so sorry @lbz It must be awful to be surrounded by ignorance and death, when you are so vulnerable. I sympathize and have not been out except to buy groceries since before the lockdowns first began. It started here with 1 case. I am on the West Coast where the first cases were identified. it's obvious that if you tell 2 people, and they tell 2 people and so on and so..what will happen.

Everybody wears masks here, It has been mandatory in the county for a long time and I think it is mandatory in the state. it's hard to believe that people would mock you, or anybody for wearing a mask. As far as I know, its one of the most important ways to slow the spread.

I don't think I would be a survivor, but people here are aware, and care (mostly). I wish you were here!!

@Jazie We all don't have to agree or share opinions, but Thanks for wearing a mask. I liked your post because of that.

Last edited:

Zen_Life II

Honorable member
I'm stuck in the midwest/south depending on who you ask. I miss my home, CA, but it seems like CA is having their own issues. Nobody thinks it is anything more than the flu here and it is all very political (I'm in a deep red state - actually on the border of 2 deep red states, which is probably telling you exactly where I am, but oh well!) and it's also a very religious state(s). Science does not exist for most people here (esp. my bro's neighbors - never mind the fact that they know my family consists of several doctors and medical personnel). The few times I have ventured out (I am staying with my brother and his family, as I was traveling when the first cases were reported in CA and I decided to wait it out to see what happened. I had no idea it would get as bad as it did or go on for as long as it has) and my bro, who is an essential worker, has to work. So, my sis-in-law and I take turns doing Costco and grocery store runs. The state has no mask requirement, however the city does. We started wearing masks when they were first advised and I will never forget the evil eye rolls, laughs and comments that we got in the beginning - now everyone who shops around here is supposed to wear them, but I am constantly amazed at the number of people who do not. The case numbers are rising and people want schools to open and life to go back to normal. The Gov is a Trumpian (I know I am getting political and don't mean to be, but it is the best way to explain the situation here), will not wear a mask and will not encourage others to do so; is going to open schools; says churches need to be open to all; and there is not/never has been a stay-at-home order. He wants businesses, bars and restaurants open, and for schools that will not hold in-person classes, says he will withhold state funding (like the Fed Govt is trying to do) There is a legal fight going on between him at the 2 largest city mayors in the state, who both believe in science and protecting their citizens. There is also a huge race problem here. Having lived in CA for 25 years, I am not use to it and was shocked it find that people still think they way they do (yeah, go ahead and say it, I live in a naive bubble). It has been hell being here. My hair is turning grey: my aunt, who is a hairdresser and would do my hair for me at her home, will not wear a mask and does not believe this is anything more than the flu (in spite of the fact her co-salon owner's son tested positive for it). She is also constantly doing road trips to IN, OH and TX to visit her kids and grandkids. Oh, and she is also constantly telling me that I need to be "saved" and I would be fine. :rolleyes:

I have consumed so much wine, ice cream and other junk food that I am miserable. It's too hot and humid here to run and I have no other vices available to me (well, almost no more ;)). I have reached my limit and am at the point where I am willing to risk it and fly home. I will self-quarantine when I get home for 14 days (I work from home mostly anyway and our offices are still closed and live in an area where just about everything can be delivered). I couldn't afford the medical bills if I do get it and have to be hospitalized, but the stress is breaking me. Contra to what @Raspberry said earlier, people here care only about themselves and their rights - not about other people. I am over it. That is the situation where I am. Do't know about others, but if the Canadian border was open to us non-essentials, I would have left weeks ago. 😜

Sorry for the rant. Take care all! :heart:

superman11

We have been on the precipice of a big wave for months but have ducked and weaved thus far here in NSW Australia. The State of Victoria is under a big lockdown now. I dont think any country can fully avoid this as eventually lockdowns have to lift. Best we can do is spread the damage out or (maybe) delay until a vaccine is effective

Raspberry

Eminent member
We have been on the precipice of a big wave for months but have ducked and weaved thus far here in NSW Australia. The State of Victoria is under a big lockdown now. I dont think any country can fully avoid this as eventually lockdowns have to lift. Best we can do is spread the damage out or (maybe) delay until a vaccine is effective
I always thought the point was to mitigate and prevent the spread as much as possible until there is an effective vaccine and/or treatments. It's not going to be like this forever, but how many people have to die because of those who don't like to be inconvenienced. I understand about the economy, but there are work arounds for that and emergency funds that do actually exist to protect and defend.

This should not be a political issue. I am not being political. There are lessons to be learned.

I watched youtube videos from Italy with people saying, "Don't do what we did, we didn't take it seriously and this is what happened".. That formed my original opinion that you can't undo what has been done, but what you do now will affect the outcome.. you can't change your mind and go back in time.