• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

What is your vice?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

theshahofiran

Honorable member
Here's one for all you vicers, I just learned that chaga (the good stuff in those coffee-replacement /mushroom brews) has super high levels of oxalate (a plant poison that hurts your gut and maybe other organs).
And the grinder goes brrrr again.

Snag-A-Puss

Distinguished member
I really like stimulants & opiates. But have never hurt myself with either one, thankfully. No IV use or anything like that. Been using for almost 2 decades responsibly for the most part. My brain just needs them to feel normal. Wish our stupid government didn't make it so hard to obtain them safely then the risk would be almost zero.

I don't drink, smoke tobacco, gamble, shop, sleep around, party or do ANYTHING else to waste money or hurt people/myself. And I don't have kids so there's that. But if I get caught using my substances of choice in my own home, to jail I go with the violent criminals to get COVID and god knows what else. #freedom

Madmanmoonx

Lapsed Senior Member
Anyone have a vice?

I always need something...but right now I sort of am a bit all over the place and don't really have ONE major vice but rather, have a few crutches.

I used to smoke but quit 3 years ago.

I don't drink as I hate the taste of alcohol.

I don't gamble. I don't do hard / street drugs. I don't shop to excess.

I DO looove chocolate and sweets, and I am of course self-medicating with pills.
You absolutely nailed it for me too. I quit smoking about 24 years ago. I don't drink but thats because I'm an Alchoholic and haven't done so for over 26 years. Never saw the point of gambling

I do love Chocolates and sweet things too. My other main vice is guitars. I have far too many 😂.

heavymetalviolet

Lapsed Senior Member
caffeine all day !!!!!!
This was me, but had to give it up a few months back (thanks afib!). Now it's decaf all day. Le sigh. But at least I have a great choice of a bunch of different flavors that I enjoy, so there's that.
My real main vice is BOOKS. I am a bibliophile. I love to read. I have tons of books. Been going digital lately and getting them in electronic form, but something about having an actual printed work in my hands and feeling/smelling/holding the text is just not the same with electronics. Other vices are movies (same story, many in electronic form and I have a pretty big collection cause my first job ever was a video store back when they still had those...LOL) and music (audiophile as well, with most music in electronic form so I can mix and match songs on my phone. I have VERY odd tastes too, and my mix will often do odd things like go from a Medieval string tune to a Slipknot song, followed by Earth Wind and Fire. LOL). But hey, good stuff is good stuff. :)

heavymetalviolet

Lapsed Senior Member
@heavymetalviolet what's your favorite decaf bean? I hear you on books, wish I could afford more (pirate's budget). Maurice White should be an inspiration to us all, for the way he rocked that hairline over the years.
I found it on Amazon. It's called Crazy Cups and comes in a bunch of different flavors depending on your tastes. I started off with a variety pack (which gives you a bit of everything, so you get everything from a flavor called Death by Chocolate to Banana Flambe) and then if you go to the Crazy Cups site directly you can customize your order. I have certain flavors I really like (White Chocolate Strawberry, Chocolate Raspberrry, Pumpkin Caramel Spice, Butter Pecan and Chocolate Coconut) that I compile into a sampler of my own and that lasts me a good while (and helps me get through my crummy workday LOL). Hope you enjoy if you decide to try them! (Hint: Don't order from Amazon if you just wanna try out a few. Go to their site cause you can order packs of 4 of a flavor, while the Amazon samplers throw in whatever they want and if you don't like a flavor you're stuck with it).

Muppetsforlife

Ohh well, here we go alright lmfao;
Weed, Coffee & Tabacco are my biggest ones.

Altho I don't really have an issue with any of those things and am perfectly gine eith those being my vices.

Gambling is the one I have to watch out for and actively tell myself not to spend any money on it. That one has a very slippery slope for me

amy43

Honorable member
Still smoking- I did quit for 5 years in the past, so I know it can be done. I only smoke outside, so that helps.... but I know that I need to quit completely at some point for my health. I think I'll always need my coffee and chocolate though. :)
I understand how hard it must be to quit Selfhelp, as my mother did stop but found it hard. My father had to, as it had already given him cancer, and my brother even now cannot stop, though his health is terrible. I worry about him.
I know how stressful it can be, and the stress is worse now. I have heard people say how smoking relaxes them, so I feel for you trying to quit.
I had to taper off some medications in the past, and struggled.
I really hope you can stop as my grand father smoked and it gave him lung cancer too.
So I have seen the damage, and heartache it causes.
I love coffee and chocolate too, and have too much of both! So I need to cut down too!
Rooting for you to be able to quit, maybe just have one less a day, or taper it very slowly when you feel ready. Like not finishing off a cigarette completely, or taking a longer break in between, if only for a 5 minutes and then build it up slowly, so you don't notice.
Hope this helps, as you have a lot to give and it is thoughtful of you that you smoke outside.
Maybe even have extra coffee and chocolate or something else you like in between the breaks between smoking.
I can also recommend a hypnosis cd or download to help. I know it may sound a bit bonkers, but it worked for me.
It really helped me to come off the medication I was on, and also wanted to write, but couldn't.
I had writer's block. Played the cd, and to my amazement found myself writing my first story in years within days after!
I was stunned at how much it worked, and would be happy to share the information of some of my sources if you are interested.
Just meant to be a short post trying to offer some encouragement and tips.
take care, :nod: :hi:

Selfhelp

Celebrity PRer
Still smoking- I did quit for 5 years in the past, so I know it can be done. I only smoke outside, so that helps.... but I know that I need to quit completely at some point for my health. I think I'll always need my coffee and chocolate though. :)
I understand how hard it must be to quit Selfhelp, as my mother did stop but found it hard. My father had to, as it had already given him cancer, and my brother even now cannot stop, though his health is terrible. I worry about him.
I know how stressful it can be, and the stress is worse now. I have heard people say how smoking relaxes them, so I feel for you trying to quit.
I really hope you can stop as my grand father smoked and it gave him lung cancer too.
I love coffee and chocolate too, and have too much of both! So I need to cut down too!
Rooting for you to be able to quit, maybe just have one less a day, or taper it very slowly when you feel ready. Like not finishing off a cigarette completely, or taking a longer break in between, if only for a 5 minutes and then build it up slowly, so you don't notice.
Hope this helps, as you have a lot to give and it is thoughtful of you that you smoke outside.
Maybe even have extra coffee and chocolate or something else you like in between the breaks between smoking.
I can also recommend a hypnosis cd or download to help. I know it may sound a bit bonkers, but it worked for me.
It really helped me to come off the medication I was on, and also wanted to write, but couldn't.
I had writer's block. Played the cd, and to my amazement found myself writing my first story in years within days after!
I was stunned at how much it worked, and would be happy to share the information of some of my sources if you are interested.
take care, :nod:
Hi Amy, Thank you for the encouragement. My parents both smoked for many years, and they finally quit when the were about my age. So I realize that it can be done. I have been using nicotine gum for a while now and it seems to help. I'm slowly cutting down. The hardest times for me are in the morning.... I seem to have to have a smoke or three with my coffee. Also, when I'm outside It seems to be hard. I know most of it is just a habit that I need to break. What makes it hard is that I really do enjoy smoking and so far, it hasn't affected my health. Smoking used to be socially acceptable... but now days everyone looks at you like a bad person when you light up. The look of disgust on some peoples face is really hurtful. Anyway, I am going to eventually kick this habit. I'm going to have to quit for ME.... not because I might offend others. I may sound a little defiant, but I hate being judged by people that have not walked in my shoes. It will take time, but eventually I will be done with them. Thank you again for the support! :)

Last edited:

amy43

Honorable member
take care, :nod:
Hi Amy, Thank you for the encouragement. My parents both smoked for many years, and they finally quit when the were about my age. So I realize that it can be done. I have been using nicotine gum for a while now and it seems to help. I'm slowly cutting down. The hardest times for me are in the morning.... I seem to have to have a smoke or three with my coffee. Also, when I'm outside It seems to be hard. I know most of it is just a habit that I need to break. What makes it hard is that I really do enjoy smoking and so far, it hasn't affected my health. Smoking used to be socially acceptable... but now days everyone looks at you like a bad person when you light up. The look of disgust on some peoples face is really hurtful. Anyway, I am going to eventually kick this habit. I'm going to have to quit for ME.... not because I might offend others. I may sound a little defiant, but I hate being judged by people that have not walked in my shoes. It will take time, but eventually I will be done with them. Thank you again for the support! :)
Hi @Selfhelp, Thank you for sharing. I remember how it used to be socially acceptable and the dangers were not known and spoken of as they were later. I am pleased and impressed that you have been using nicotine gum and are already slowly cutting down. I feel for you finding it hard in the morning, as I have been tempted to smoke at times, when low, but didn't, as I had not started, but I understand as much as I can the temptation. I find the mornings really hard and wake up hit with depression, and so can empathize with the longing for the smoke with your coffee. I have too much coffee and chocolate! I really understand the need to have a little lift and feeling of calm to relieve anxiety, and stress.
So I feel for you with this battle. I appreciate your honesty in saying that you really do enjoy smoking, which is why it is so sad and painful and frustrating to give up.

I am relieved that it has not affected your health. And pleased that you are going to quit it for you. You deserve a great and happy life.
I am wishing this for you, and health, and know you can do it. I feel for you with the hurtful looks, as you are right about people not understanding what it is like to be you, and what you are already doing to try to quit. You do not sound defiant, but sad about being judged, which I feel for, as feeling judged is a horrible feeling.

I love your posts and the wisdom and humour they contain. It will always take time to do something so hard, I am rooting for you and here for you to offer encouragement and friendship.:nod:

I battle with trying to get rid of things which may sound trivial in comparison, but I am only saying this to let you know that if I find it so hard to get rid of things, then I feel for you trying to give up such a strong addiction. I have also badly hoarded over the years, buying things to make myself feel better and give myself something to look forward too. It became a habit and I had to force myself to stop, as the feeling of something nice coming in the post was uplifting and helped ease the depression. They were not expensive but things I was interested in, but still too much and I used up a lot of my savings which I regret. Fantasy, and gothic art books have been my latest nightmare buying frenzy, as I find the pictures in them pure escapism and healing to look at. Before that it was cd's! I could go on, but will end it there! :shake::dull:

In my experience there are good days, bad days, and better days, on bad days when I slip up and buy something again and beat myself up about it, I have to be gentle with myself and tell myself I had a bad day and can start again tomorrow and forgive myself for slipping up again.
Always here for a chat. 🙋‍♀️

The hypnosis cd's did really help if you are interested, and have a lot of really good ones. Rachel Eccles is great and has a huge website. I hope maybe you can find something there that may help. I would love to know what you think and how you get on.
Sending warm thoughts and wishes.
Your body, soul, and spirit is precious, I am sure you will get there. ♥️

ohanes

Honorable member
Big vice, maybe not my biggest, is a strong stubborness about

what I want/don't want,

will do/won't do,

want to do/don't want to do.

One vice, maybe my biggest is that I love to sleep, and just can't seem to ever get enough.

I have a job that requires me to be up by 5am, and by 7pm, I look forward to "getting to bed".

Some weekends I work also, and I have always been something of a workaholic.

I don't know whether "burnout" is a real thing, but it's very possible I am indeed burned-out and still working.

On the other hand, I am deathly afraid of the word "retirement" ... which to me is the equivalent of being "put out to pasture".

I don't have substance-related vices (well, maybe a few) but I have a long way to go, to become the person I'd like to become.

Thanks for letting me get these thougths and feelings out into writing. I so appreciate these forums and all of you here.

amy43

Honorable member

what I want/don't want,

will do/won't do,

One vice, maybe my biggest is that I love to sleep, and just can't seem to ever get enough.

I have a job that requires me to be up by 5am, and by 7pm, I look forward to "getting to bed".

I don't know whether "burnout" is a real thing, but it's very possible I am indeed burned-out and still working.

On the other hand, I am deathly afraid of the word "retirement" ... which to me is the equivalent of being "put out to pasture".

I don't have substance-related vices (well, maybe a few) but I have a long way to go, to become the person I'd like to become.

Thanks for letting me get these thougths and feelings out into writing. I so appreciate these forums and all of you here.
@

what I want/don't want,

will do/won't do,

@ohanes, I love to sleep and find it a break from the day. Having to up by 5am is rough.

I think "burnout" is a real thing, and it is understandable if you have it, as getting up so early every day must

take it's toil. I have a long way to go to become the person I would like to become, and wonder now, who is that!

heavymetalviolet

Lapsed Senior Member

what I want/don't want,

will do/won't do,

I'm totally with you on the hating mornings. I have to be at work by 7 and I despise it. I much prefer to sleep in and get there later. But that's just how it is. Sigh. Conversely, retirement is my fantasy. I've been working since I was 14 years old, and as such, I would LOVE to stop working...or at least, stop working conventional jobs. My dream/fantasy would be to work for myself. Get up when I want to, work when I want (a REAL flexible schedule, not the kind some work from home jobs pay lip service to but don't actually mean). I would enjoy writing and similar online work. Just me though. :)

Riverside

Online shopping, like other people during the height of covid. For me, I always enjoyed the endorphins created from anticipation of something arriving in the mail. It's Christmas. Before covid I felt a little guilty when I splurged on certain things. Covid made it "okay" to order online. It was the "norm", it was for our "safety" after all. That cute Channel clutch, I need to order it to avoid the brick-and-mortar store.

Lugosivalentine

“Zeal overcomes all.”
WELL, I'm a recovering poly-substance/multi addiction abuser. So many many vices. Nowadays I try to steer towards a different kind of vice: like poetry, skateboarding, reading.
in the more traditional form of vice, I'd have to say anxiety medication first and foremost. I'm learning to not let the vices control me nowadays!

Muppetsforlife

WELL, I'm a recovering poly-substance/multi addiction abuser. So many many vices. Nowadays I try to steer towards a different kind of vice: like poetry, skateboarding, reading.
in the more traditional form of vice, I'd have to say anxiety medication first and foremost. I'm learning to not let the vices control me nowadays!
Oh snap! Skateboarding yea? Like going to a park and on quarterpipes and stuff?
I havent done that in years but was kind of flirting with the idea of picking it back up again. The only reason I havent yet is because I'm afraid my ankles (and bones in general) are not going to like it lmfao.
It was always such a rush tho, makes one wonder🧐

Reactions: OTM
AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks