• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

What shortages are in your area?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

teresita

Exalted member
This one is the most annoying to me. I haven't been able to buy "the works" toilet bowl cleaner for well over a year. My girlfriend in the next county over found it and gave me 5 containers for my birthday, just about a year ago. It's the only thing that works for our extremely rusty well water.
Pet food is getting thinner and thinner but I don't want to be one of those people that buy it all up.
P.s. I have literally tried everything for my toilet. Now toilet bowl cleaner period is out of stock in my area so I have to use ajax scrubbing powder and a scrub brush. It's a pain and time consuming.
It seems everywhere in the Us has a different type of shortage. What's yours?

Santa's little helper

Exalted member
This one is the most annoying to me. I haven't been able to buy "the works" toilet bowl cleaner for well over a year. My girlfriend in the next county over found it and gave me 5 containers for my birthday, just about a year ago. It's the only thing that works for our extremely rusty well water.
Pet food is getting thinner and thinner but I don't want to be one of those people that buy it all up.
P.s. I have literally tried everything for my toilet. Now toilet bowl cleaner period is out of stock in my area so I have to use ajax scrubbing powder and a scrub brush. It's a pain and time consuming.
Pretty picky about my dish soap. Palmolive Oxy is so hard to find.
Should start a barter type thread:)

Santa's little helper

Exalted member
Recently discovered the vinegar & baking soda solution. Works like a charm & economical:)

Name taken

Distinguished member
Recently discovered the vinegar & baking soda solution. Works like a charm & economical:)
One thing that worked for me for cleaning toilets when I was living in a house with well water was CLR. The well water slowly left deposits on the toilet, showerheads and faucets but a little bit of soaking in CLR cleared them up.

spex

Luzianne sweet tea. There’s something about theirs I can’t copy at home, and for like six weeks the stores that carry it had an empty space on the bottled tea shelf. Also fun pack cereals. That’s a go-to grocery item for me and something is definitely off with that supply chain.

I’m just glad we’re no longer sweating over toilet paper and disinfectants like 2020.

Selfhelp

Celebrity PRer
So far I haven't seen any shortages yet. I live near a major metro area though, so that may make a difference. I am concerned about the rising prices on everything though. I guess my shortage would have to be money. Prices seem to be up at least 10 - 20% on everything. In some areas, I have heard of people ordering Items online if they can't find something locally. Maybe that's adding to our slower delivery services. The biggest price increase is gas..... They predict a 50% increase in heating costs this winter!

Last edited:

teresita

Exalted member
@Selfhelp I agree, it's insane. I generally get groceries by the week at the same place and prices are always higher each week but gas is approaching $4 a gallon like in 2008 or 9 but they kept saying how barrel prices were going up but I haven't heard any solid reason for the prices now though I've heard speculations

Delta L1011

Eminent member
fresh produce and of course gasoline!!

@cajunbulldog "you say fresh produce & gasoline" I fully agree about gasoline. In my current state these are the prices, yesterday
18 November 2021
Regular unleaded/ 87 Octane $3.19 per gallon
Upgrade unleaded/89 Octane $3.49 per gallon
Supreme unleaded/93 Octane $3.99 per gallon

I have a older used Caddy STS that has the Northstar 32 valve dual overhead cam V8 engine, which the mfg. requires 93 Octane, so I am concerned.
Anyone remember the mid 1970's or later, the very late 1970's? (Arab Oil Embargo ...later...another "bump in gas prices, circa when
(the Hostages left Iran era) 1979/1980 ?

Delta L1011

Eminent member
Used and new cars. And I’m in mo town.

@DB Dicey Reference your post #13. I agree with new 110% !!! Cars have been one of my true loves ( & music) since I was 12 years old.
I started searching in my large metro area one year ago, and, even 1 yr ago, the prices of new & used cars, just blew my mind.

In the here & now, imho it is even "worse" !!! Started out looking for a late model (Used 7 series BMW sedan) but, the prices
were way out of my league. (range of a new one is approaching US $90,000.00 and a used one (like a 760i, runs, from US 40,000
to as much as US $55,000.00 (as my criteria, is to find a nice used car, with "under 50,000 miles", I found it it is RARE to find
a BMW 7 series, "pampered like a poodle" for under US 40,000.00 + for even a 2016 or 2017 model, around 4 or 5 years old,

Now, I am a bit rusty using the Internet, for shopping for a car, such as from 100 miles/ 500 miles / 1,500 miles or even, "other"
IMHO which means anywhere in the lower 48 states (for the past 8 weeks). The Caddy Deville, was discontinued by the year 2011,
including the DHS/ STS/ & even the El Dorado sedan.
As a dear friend and used car manager of a large USA dealership, for General Motors, or Ford Motor Co, etc. he told me in the
1980's that, "a used car is often worth "over the top, or a airline ticket to the Moon, vs. a used car is a P.O.S. (meaning in car slang)
{a piece of Sh*T !!! My results so far, have resulted in only 1/2 dozen 2011 Caddy's (again the last year made) for the STS with
the NorthStar V8 engine with a est. HP of 300 HP for a car that weighs over 4,000 lbs, & the only Caddy STS I have found with
a clean, CARFAX record, are only about six (6) in the entire USA, (Washington State/Ohio/Texas (2), Illinois, and Central Florida !

Price range for the above ranges from a low of US $13,000.00 with close to 50,000 miles and a two (2) pristine very low miles,
one owner cars / clean CARFAX report/ with from 35,000 miles up to 37,500 miles / price range is from those Texas cars from
US 17,000.00 to US 18,000.00. for a 2011 Cadillac STS, loaded with all the equip one would desire.

Finally did anyone realize the enclosed 18 wheelers, who often ship a car, from often collector car dealerships, have gone from
a range from US 400.00/US 500.00 one way such as, St. Louis MO to ATL, GA one way...(1996) vs. now from a quote given
to me from Greater Dallas TX for a road mile trip of about 1,100 miles (one way) is from a low of US 1,500.00 to several more
quotes up to US $ 2,000.00 (all including insurance) like in 1996, for a 1 way trip, of only less than about 1,300 miles one way !
(comparing 1996 prices one way from St. Louis MO to large SE city) vs. comparing 2021 prices one way from Dallas TX to same
city in the same large SE city !!!! (in 1996), I purchased my 2nd (back-up) used car, another Lincoln Continental Mark V, only 18
years old, but, was the "rare" Diamond Jubilee edition, with only 57,000 miles on it, and costs me only US $8,000.00, was in a
antique car showroom, with ropes around it, for people to keep their hands off this car, one owner, and a fresh re-paint, of the
original color, Crystal Clearcoat, Diamond Jubilee metallic blue, with the original 8-track, and, factory installed 2 way radio, +
the original 460 CID V8 engine, & "moon roof" with Quadraphonic, stereo sound system. (fake diamond in both port windows) .

Of course, this "DOES NOT INCLUDE" THIS:
1. a one way trip with a flight, from a EC city to DFW, or, worse yet, a RT ticket from a EC city to DFW (if the "deal does not work out)
2. Usually hotel accommodations, for one night. and/or a rental car. vs. (see #3 below)
3. A taxi or Uber ride from DFW to the city where the car dealership is located in Greater Dallas Texas.
4. Even after a 1 to 2 hour demo ride and through inspection of all the used car, documents, possibly "price haggling" and you
are totally satisfied, with "your price deal & the quality of the used car is acceptable", you still have to drive the car over,
1,100 + miles, (even for me at my age, vs 1996, I would need (overnight hotel/motel & restaurant/ meals, to return to my official
state of residence). Vs. paying for a professional covered 18 wheeler, such as a "add on price of up to US $2,000.00 more !!! +
also, usually doc fees, states taxes, of where car is located, (some charge, some do not) + drive out 30 day paper plate charge..

Finally, I am not the average new or used car buyer, as, I keep a car from 10 years, vs. 20 years (on my 2002 model Caddy STS, to
as long as 21 years, car ownership on "another car". One car I had shipped from Seattle WA to Phoenix AZ, a used pristine 1977
Lincoln Continental Mark V "Triple White" edition with the moon roof, and a (then) 10 yr old car, with only one owner 44,000 miles
with true dual exhausts with a 460 V8 engine, (7.5 L) and a Quadraphonic Sound system (that I kept from September 1987 until,
I sold it in January 2008. (21 years). From around 1998 to 2008, it was mostly in enclosed storage, with a hefty storage fee, + security.

IMHO this era, IDK what caused it, be it the worldwide Covid crisis, or not, but this imo not the time to buy a new or used car.
@D B Dicey

Last edited:

DB Dicey

Distinguished member
Very amused yet saddened by your car search. A used 2017 Honda Fit sells for the same price my sister paid for one new. (she has to fit into a small, shared San Diego garage). I went on a search after some car trouble and there’s no way I wasn’t going to pay whatever to fix it after seeing the much rumored about prices were more than just rumors.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks