• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

What shortages are in your area?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Doc Rogue

Distinguished member
I'm just gonna be that person; graphic cards / current gen consoles (which, to be fair, are both luxury items I can easily wait my time for. The other one is a but trickier; real estate (or affordable housing)
Me being over 30 years away from retirement, I have no idea how I am ever supposed to be able to pay to own my own house
So true! Who knew that a pandemic could set off the largest percentage increase in housing prices Y.O.Y., with the top 20 fastest growing cities still struggling to keep pace with supply/ demand - for those moving here? (my town).

Sundries, Fuel/ Gasoline, Commodities, PetSupplies, Housing (and Rent)… so many issues with costs rising beyond what’s no longer even marginally affordable. Toss in a healthy dose of inflation.. and at what point does this start to implode on itself?

I don’t know the answer to that…

With Housing:
Lumber was up over 1,200% last July. It then dropped over half that increase by Nov. 2021, and is now headed right back up again, in anticipation of even more supply shortages.
Lumber alone (my city) at the peak of its pricing hike added $60,000 to the purchase price of an 1,800sf new home.
That didn’t include the roofing materials, windows, trim, doors etc. etc.
Home prices here now are on average $200,000 more than the same new build would have been 18months prior.
And now land zoned for residential (and commercial) is becoming scarce, so land and Building Lot prices are skyrocketing. This is getting out of control.

And yes - vehicles.. Some of the prices are just insane on commodities and other life’s needs/wants due to severe supply shortages and other influences.

It think it really sad for those who are younger, or weren’t able to become homeowners before pricing went berserk.
I fear that even starter home prices will never recover, or get back to as low as cost as they were even just 2 years back. SMDH

Chancer

Exalted member

Chancer

Exalted member
My local shops all say beer and crisp at the moment. Says a lot about my town 😂
Do you live in the North? 🤨 That was a staple diet in Scotland along with Irn Bru. 😎🤣🍻
@Chancer 🙂

What does Irn-Bru taste like? 🤔 😅

Can I get that in the States?

TIA
Like heaven or Scotland in a glass bottle then if you are REALLY Scottish you use the glass bottles as a legal to carry offensive/defensive weapon, no #2nd Amendment here. 😂

Its really sweet, Orange in colour but not in taste. I don't like Dr Pepper but its close without the aftertaste from Dr P. Find a British based supermarket, they are everywhere in the States if you look hard enough...erm after an attempt at helpful research, perhaps not. 🧐🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Aye...

@dinger anything to add my friend??

Attachments

Chancer

Exalted member
@CalmSeeker My first home (2 bed flat) cost £72k, we sold for £135k a few years later and that same flat is worth nearly £225k+ today, its impossible for youngsters and getting worst with Blackrock buying up all the property currently at above cost. 😪

GreenThumb

Exalted member
If any of you folks have a significant amount of savings tied up in the stock market, you might want to think about a Plan B. Markets are getting real ugly now and many people that don't follow the market intricacies are not aware of this, since all they look at are the broad market indicies (S&P 500, etc.) and those indicies don't tell the real story. Broad market indicies are heavily reflective of large cap stocks like Facebook, Tesla, etc. These stocks have not been hammered yet, but small and mid-cap stoccks re being annihilated. Markets crash from the bottom up, unfortunately, so it takes time to see the impact.

Name taken

Distinguished member
Salad fixins', produce is difficult to follow. Found Angus beef Sirloin tip for 5 bucks lb this evening at no frills.
Three weeks ago, stewing beef was 12 bucks a pound at the same store
Even Ramen noodles have gone up in price. Yes it seems medication is where my money goes instead of gourmet food. I never thought I would be saying that Ramen is expensive…

Name taken

Distinguished member
If any of you folks have a significant amount of savings tied up in the stock market, you might want to think about a Plan B. Markets are getting real ugly now and many people that don't follow the market intricacies are not aware of this, since all they look at are the broad market indicies (S&P 500, etc.) and those indicies don't tell the real story. Broad market indicies are heavily reflective of large cap stocks like Facebook, Tesla, etc. These stocks have not been hammered yet, but small and mid-cap stoccks re being annihilated. Markets crash from the bottom up, unfortunately, so it takes time to see the impact.
I hate to do it but I’m going to have to set a stop loss. That’s definitely not a money making strategy for me but it’s better than losing it. I invested the bulk of my money in real estate with a home purchase recently so I hope that that is a good investment.

dinger

Honorable member
My local shops all say beer and crisp at the moment. Says a lot about my town 😂
Do you live in the North? 🤨 That was a staple diet in Scotland along with Irn Bru. 😎🤣🍻
@Chancer 🙂

What does Irn-Bru taste like? 🤔 😅

Can I get that in the States?

TIA
Like heaven or Scotland in a glass bottle then if you are REALLY Scottish you use the glass bottles as a legal to carry offensive/defensive weapon, no #2nd Amendment here. 😂

Its really sweet, Orange in colour but not in taste. I don't like Dr Pepper but its close without the aftertaste from Dr P. Find a British based supermarket, they are everywhere in the States if you look hard enough...erm after an attempt at helpful research, perhaps not. 🧐🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Aye...

@dinger anything to add my friend??
It will blow away any rust ye have in your body!! made from girders!!...and its known locally as a bottle of " ginger" lol...
Yip i fine " British" scots drink...Booom rule britannia!! Booom...You have got going again!! ha ha...

yellowsubmarine86

@Chancer
Haha I am! Lancashire lass here. Spent a lot of my younger years in Scotland too visiting friends. I’m sure a Scot may take this as an insult but I always found Northerners and Scots very alike. Great memories of some cracking nights out up there. Dunno how I survived the volume of booze to be honest lol

Chancer

Exalted member
@yellowsubmarine86 No, they are definitely very similar. When I first moved South I went to Newcastle for a year and the Geordie's are very similar.

Alcohol is a huge problem in Scotland, I think it led (perhaps still does) the charts for teenage alcohol problems. Incidentally; the Country with the lowest teen alcohol problem is France, they are raised from a young age to drink wine with dinner so it removes the taboo from alcohol other Countries teenagers suffer from.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks