What was your favorite book at a child?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Kipper

Lapsed Senior Member
My love of reading started out after I read Charlotte's Web when I was about 10. I dont know who else of you has read it but its a great book and so moving.

I so remember crying and crying when I had finished reading it, because it was really sad but also because it was over.

The best kids book I have read as an adult was his dark materials by philip pullman, that book is so full of fantasy and adventure and he is such a good writer.

CrayonBox

Distinguished member
The Barenstain Bears books. All of them. I remember checking all the different ones out of the library when I was a kid. Something about the colors in the book and living in a tree was exciting to me.

jaders

Eminent member
I also loved Charlotte's Web, but Stuart Little, I read again and again. Personally, (and maybe I'll get attacked for this :hi:) but the Harry Potter series are the best books I have EVER read and I've read the whole series probably 5-6 times. (Actually I listened to them on audiobook, as the reader is so good...) I have to wait a couple more years before they'll sound fresh again tho.

I've tried Pullman a few times along with the Hobbit series, but for some reason, just can't get into them.

Also a longtime fav my whole young adulthood was To Kill A Mockingbird...

Reactions: M77

Bawston

Eminent member
I always remember my mother reading from a book of fairy tales but my very favorite book was called Nurse Nancy. It was similar to the Little Golden Books but came with candy pills and bandaids. Everyone in the house, including the cat was covered in bandaids.

candygram

Honorable member
After my Dick and Jane period I moved on to Little House on the Prairie, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Cherie Ames Visiting Nurse...from there I went to the classics. Mark Twain was one of my favorites.

Bawston

Eminent member
After my Dick and Jane period I moved on to Little House on the Prairie, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Cherie Ames Visiting Nurse...from there I went to the classics. Mark Twain was one of my favorites.

Yes! All of the Little House on the Prairie books and Nancy Drew! I'm trying to think of the other girl dectective(s) series - would it have been the Dana Girls? Dana Twins? Not as good as Nancy Drew but let's face it, when you'd read all of the Nancy Drew books there were only so many other options.

Dewpoint

Lapsed Senior Member
Charlottes Web was simply stunning, anything Roald Dahl - BFG & James and the Giant Peach being top picks. Wow, the memories!

Jster

I loved Enid Blyton, especially the 'faraway tree' in fact i still have it. Maybe i should give it a read now.

Romanov

I loved anything by Roald Dahl, his books were engaging and funny, but also with quite a dark edge for a children’s book

Dobre
Rom

M77

Exalted member
Obviously, things change as you get older, but I said to myself that I would go with the first thing that pops into my head.

Dr. Suess, hands down, which one? All of them!

Utopiate

Honorable member
At age 10 my dad decided i was ready to read The Little Prince. I still pick it up about once every decade. A treasure of a book. A couple of movies have been based on it but they didn't serve the story very well for some reason.

H20shed65

Famous PRer
“ Where The Wild Things Are!”

Ok, to be completely honest, I did my Graduate Thesis on this Children’ Novel!

I was a a “Little Slow”.

Not kidding, that was my fave under age 8-9 novel. But I was always a Voracious Reader and there is very little I don’t enjoy these days. :)

Mecha

Renowned member
#1 The Catcher in the Rye

#2 Huckleberry Finn (which is back on the best sellers list according to The Phrump) however I don't think they teach this in school anymore

jaders

Eminent member

#2 Huckleberry Finn (which is back on the best sellers list according to The Phrump) however I don't think they teach this in school anymore

Haha. The catcher in the rye was by far my fav book as a teen. I read voraciously everything by Salinger, even going so far as to gather up all his early stories printed in various magazines in his startup days.

M77

Exalted member

I assumed by the question that we were looking at the first book, or novel, etc. that we ever read. I looked at the the first post and saw that it was a much broader timeframe. My parents were both educators, and my mom convinced me to start reading real books while I was in 3rd grade. So more, or less, around 8 yrs old. Of course all Mark Twain, Salinger (I was so young when a read “Catcher” I thought his sister’s name was pronounced Fobe, as Phoebe made no other sense to me. Kurt Vonnegut’s Cats Cradle was my favorite real book. After sucking those up, I went to Dickens. I also loved sci-fi such as Isaac Asimov and Ursula Le Guin. The most amazing thing that happened from being a young and voracious reader was the vocabulary I acquired. I actually had a chance to meet one of the aforementioned authors and had a discussion about one of their books. I think I left them speechless. I know that this could sound very exaggerated (or total BS) but one of my parents was a professor at one of the Ivy’s, and I got to hang out in the teachers lounge. I met some pretty wild people there. If I listed them, nobody would believe me! :cool:

jaders

Eminent member
As a kid, all the Nancy Drew mysteries. All of them. I can't even name a favorite among them.

I read all of them too. I remember the library wouldn't carry them because they were considered "formulaic" but now not only are they in the library, there's a whole slew of new adventures for dear Nancy...:bigsmile:

I recently read a Hardy boys book and was really struck by the sexism that I'm sure I wasn't aware of as a kid. The boys did all the fun things and the girls did the cooking and "waiting..." :dull:

Last edited:

Rylee

Eminent member
I Loved to read when I was a kid. I still love to but listen to podcasts more than read :( but I can listen to podcasts while driving.

Anyway, I’m thinking of when I was Very young, Where the Wild Things Are! One of my all time favorites!

jaders

Eminent member
I Loved to read when I was a kid. I still love to but listen to podcasts more than read :( but I can listen to podcasts while driving.

Anyway, I’m thinking of when I was Very young, Where the Wild Things Are! One of my all time favorites!

Actually I listen to audiobooks more than anything these days for the same reason. Driving, cooking, gardening, dog walking going to sleep. Now I can’t do anything without one playing. Just download them to my phone and use wireless headphones most of the time.