What was your favorite book at a child?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Bawston

Eminent member
As a kid, all the Nancy Drew mysteries. All of them. I can't even name a favorite among them.

@ Ellen... how about The Hidden Staircase?

I still have all my original Nancy Drew books and my daughter read them.

karuna

Honorable member
I agree with others here --Charlotte's Web, Pippi Longstocking, Nancy Drew, Huckleberry Finn and The Catcher in the Rye...loved when I was allowed to run to the library, by myself, and come home with a arm full of books.

Musicmom

Lapsed Senior Member
I’ve always loved fairytales. I would look for all of the different versions and especially the different versions of the Grimes fairytales. The gorier the ending the better. Good being rewarded and evil being punished. I’m not so black and white anymore.

henrysdream

My first favorite book was The Hobbit. I read quite a few collections like The Bobbsey Twins and Encyclopedia Brown, but they were merely interesting and I wouldn't re-read them once finished. Read The Hobbit in 4th or 5th grade and then dozens of times since. I'd put the latest film adaption somewhere well below the LOTR film adaption, but slightly (and only slightly) above the 70's animation atrocity.

Myrtle

Lapsed Senior Member
A wrinkle in time, where the wild things are, the outsiders, are you there god, it’s me Margaret, secret garden, and I could go on forever! Super fun thread!

cupeater

A Wrinkle In Time! The movie kind of ruined it for me. It's still one of my favorite books. I'm not as fond of the other two books in the trilogy, but the whole series is still great.

cp2k

These are series and not really individual books, but as a child my favorites were "The Boxcar Children" and "Goosebumps" series by RL Stine. My experience was kind of the same as your "Wrinkle in Time" one though. When they turned Goosebumps into a TV show it kind of ruined the books for me. I can remember staying up late at night with a flash light to finish the latest installment of each of those series as they came out. Sadly, most kids today don't have that same type of enjoyment for reading that we enjoyed.

DB Dicey

Distinguished member
Grimms Fairy Tales, quickly followed by Playboys found in peoples trash on my paper route.

Kerrythe1

I read some of the Little House books so many times, I ended up with multiple copies.

Bigrig

Classic science fiction. Asimov, etc. My father had a bunch in his old bedroom at my grandparents (just up the road from where I grew up). Also other "pulp" science fiction of the 40's through 60's. Like Doc Savage. Also the Middle Earth books by Tolkien, and the entire Oz series. Which I should re-read, it has been decades.