• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Why do pharmacies take pills out of blister packs?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

froce

I have never had an IOP do this for medication that is supposed to be a retail medication. I know some homebrewing /research chemical places do this. I would be too worried the medication was fake if they did.

Lemmyhellcat

I don't trust meds not in packaging. I have tried a few vendors and have found if pills are freely packaged they are pressed pills and fake or very weak and created in someone's kitchen. I do have a reliable source who does take pills out of packaging for shipping reasons but he advised me before hand and the product is legitimate. Really do your research before you buy because it sucks getting ripped off.

poolhustler1001

Honorable member
I use to get Valium from my Pharmacy in Blister Packs. And then it stopped. I think everything now is shipped in big bottles or something. Some oversees vendors still ship in Blister Packs. I love Blister Packs, because it shows me that fewer people touched my items.

medi1

Eminent member
Most places I order from have the proper boxes and blister packs.
Their's only one IOP that I use who packs the meds loosely but for a very good reason and that is space in their type of package.
It's a good thing that this seller is legit and all the meds are top shelf.

cp2k

I have to admit I've never been a huge fan of blister packs and use to actually take my cold medicine out of them but now I do sort of see the usefulness of them in some cases. I have Migraines that sometimes give me severe nausea, so I have to take Zofran or (my preferred) Phenergan. These obviously aren't taken daily so over time I've actually found the little 10 dose or so blister packs are actually convenient vs. bottles. My last order didn't come in the original boxes but they were packed well and from a reputable vendor so I felt OK about it.

ck197

Honorable member
I have tramadol that was taken out of the blister packs. It looks legit, BUT it does not have the bitter taste. In my experience it has always tasted bitter. Could I be wrong and this stuff is real? I’m scared to just take it and see.

cupeater

I get mixed results from different vendors. Blister packs do contain information like expiration dates, which could be a factor. IMO, it’s mostly because of space and shipping. FWIW it’s fairly common in some places to counterfeit blister packs. I like to keep them when I get fake meds in blister packs because the quality is impressive; I usually only get fake blister packs when I order from India.

DoctorStrange

I used to have slow-downs in delivery with New York Customs. Lately though there seems to be an abundance of vendors for this one single Class 4 nootropic. orders from India seem to take forever to get started on their journey, but once airborne I generally only have to wait a week. The item is always sent in blister packs, sometimes in the original box, other times just held together with elastics.
After using this item almost daily for 5 years it no longer rings my chimes as it once did. I may need to watch Limitless again to see how the main character coped with developing a tolerance ... just kidding!:)

Moself

I've always thought they take them out because the foil is easily detectable. Years ago before all the new laws mine mostly came in foil packs, which I also prefer. A vendor I had used for years started taking them out so they weren't detected and I never had any problem receiving my meds. I hadn't used them for a couple years and recently sent them emails during this covid but sadly have heard nothing back. Anyway lol with all the threats and need for better security the foil would be easily detected.

Name taken

Distinguished member
I have had really good vendors send in blister packs (which I greatly prefer), but also others that send loose for reasons of stealth. I just prefer the blister packs because I can see the authenticity usually, and an expiration date. Plus if I’m not using them immediately I think they keep a little bit longer when sealed up in foil.

ThatStrangeWolf

Lapsed Senior Member
I would think its mainly do to with packaging and shipping purposes - it might be better to have it shipped loose than in blisters - you can hear the rattle of things still in blister packs so my 2 cents is that its to do with that. Might not be ideal but if you find yourself to be with a reliable vendor I would not second guess the authenticity of the product you are buying.

Jaza

Large quantities of blister packs are more likely to arouse suspicion en route.

People in this thread quite rightly point out the issues with them maybe being counterfeit, but the same can be said for dodgy blisters.

Torr

Distinguished member
In my opinion I think it is all about customs. I have received some wrapped in paper. I also think it cuts down on noise.

I'm not sure how good their xray machines are at detecting loose pills wrapped in xray paper.

I dont like it, but at the risk of customs or suspicion I understand why.

blecher59

My orders are about 50/50. Some loose, some in BPs. I’ve not had any quality issues (knock wood!). Maybe cheaper to ship loose?

ram-man

Honorable member
Awww heck no. Especially from an IOP versus a different kind of source. Especially if its a newer source well vetted here and elsewhere. Trying real hard to stay within the bounds of rules here. Probably better to go down the street and score from the gang bangers down the street. Well maybe not since they might just might shoot you or rob you but at least your just taking the same chance of buying bunk .

fundus

Distinguished member
It's all about that rattle like others have said, and also just because the meds are blister packed doesn't guarantee they're coming from a legit compounding company. I've had bunk meds come in blisters from India all the time which is why I stopped ordering from over there.

Cristiano

Honorable member
Wild guess but I guess its because less chance of getting detected. Also others have said, the quality of both inside and outside blsters doesn't ensure the best....

Veejur

Distinguished member
It's more expensive to keep meds in blister packs but I can't explain why

NomiTramadol

Honorable member
It's cheaper and easier for them, a factory can produce a million of loose pills and forget about boxes, leaflets and all the information regulations of every country ask them to fulfill. That make the bill reduces a good percentage and also it's a good way of producing more pills than they are allowed, cause I hardly doubt police can discover with a loose pill from which factory came. Typical tactics from black market to avoid tracking and also you will be surprised how many pills are discarded because there was some error blistering them or the boxing doesn't look perfect. So that's a way of not losing money to sell those loose pills, sometimes the employees of that pharmaceutical are the ones doing the "business" (Just search on google news)

For the final vendor there are also benefits in terms of price, size, being able to sell maybe not counterfeit but yes out of date pills (that are weaker), and warning less the customs agents.

In my case I prefer to pay more but have always my blisters with all the safety controls, the expiring date visible and the lab information. Im personally scared of the risk of contamination with those Indian, Chinese or Thai loosen pills.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks