• Please take a moment to review some of the most important new forum features here and here

Why do pharmacies take pills out of blister packs?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

Veejur

Distinguished member
It's cheaper and easier for them, a factory can produce a million of loose pills and forget about boxes, leaflets and all the information regulations of every country ask them to fulfill. That make the bill reduces a good percentage and also it's a good way of producing more pills than they are allowed, cause I hardly doubt police can discover with a loose pill from which factory came. Typical tactics from black market to avoid tracking and also you will be surprised how many pills are discarded because there was some error blistering them or the boxing doesn't look perfect. So that's a way of not losing money to sell those loose pills, sometimes the employees of that pharmaceutical are the ones doing the "business" (Just search on google news)

For the final vendor there are also benefits in terms of price, size, being able to sell maybe not counterfeit but yes out of date pills (that are weaker), and warning less the customs agents.

In my case I prefer to pay more but have always my blisters with all the safety controls, the expiring date visible and the lab information. Im personally scared of the risk of contamination with those Indian, Chinese or Thai loosen pills.
Great explanation

Name taken

Distinguished member
Although I prefer blistered medication, there are some vendors that I am OK with loose from. Especially because it increases stealth. I already trust them because I know that it is good quality. But in general and for storage I prefer blistered.

Veejur

Distinguished member
Although I prefer blistered medication, there are some vendors that I am OK with loose from. Especially because it increases stealth. I already trust them because I know that it is good quality. But in general and for storage I prefer blistered.
Agree 150% with that approach

NomiTramadol

Honorable member
@Name taken Oh yeah, and specially while travelling, if you have loose caps you are going always to have problems with controls in the road, or customs if you travel abroad, no matter you have documentation with you. And believe me, it's not funny at all like it may be look on those Tv shows, when there are no cameras recording the police are not so nice and I remember someone with devil eyes trying to put me nervous to see if I breakdown or not and confess. Finally, when I said to her "Look, Im here for holidays, Im not in a hurry, Im in a good mood so I have no problems to stay here all the hours you want till you are satisfied Im not doing anything illegal" she changed her attitude and let me pass with an "Okey, welcome, take your passport".

Veejur

Distinguished member
@Name taken Oh yeah, and specially while travelling, if you have loose caps you are going always to have problems with controls in the road, or customs if you travel abroad, no matter you have documentation with you. And believe me, it's not funny at all like it may be look on those Tv shows, when there are no cameras recording the police are not so nice and I remember someone with devil eyes trying to put me nervous to see if I breakdown or not and confess. Finally, when I said to her "Look, Im here for holidays, Im not in a hurry, Im in a good mood so I have no problems to stay here all the hours you want till you are satisfied Im not doing anything illegal" she changed her attitude and let me pass with an "Okey, welcome, take your passport".
Well done! Cool under pressure.

NomiTramadol

Honorable member
@Veejur Yeah, well, it was the f...ing truth but my mistake was to take the pills out of the blisters and put them in small boxes, day by day, just as I do at home to avoid forgetting taking any medicine. If you can allow to take the pills inside the blisters and even the box and leaflet (cause the box have security and QR codes so they can easily see if it's legitimate made in Usa or Europe) that will help a lot, cause, damn, I think I'll never forget that "inquisitorial" look and voice tone asking if I was carrying some drugs or illegal stuff. And I didn't appear on TV to be more popular haha

Another thing I noticed is that customs and police in general prefer always printed documents, they somehow "dislike" or have more doubts with screenshots, images inside your phone... I think they feel more "important" just with a printed paper on their hands, examining like in the movies, than with anything virtual. So I always recommend to carry printed some medical history, few prescriptions or other health documents while travelling. Of course, it's a bit stup..d because if you fake with photoshop an image you can print that same fake image or documents but there's like a psychology that makes police and people in general trust more the printed documents than the virtual ones.

Just advices for travelling taking into account how complicated is getting the situation for some of us who take Tramadol, or occasional Benzos or Antidepressant stuff.

Outdoort

Since were talking about traveling above I one time went backpacking in Colombia and when I flew home, I hit a pharmacy first and stocked up a crap ton of antibiotics and sildenafil that I brought back for my dad. Lol I kinda wondered if what I was doing was illegal but I don't think so. None of it was controlled drugs, but in hindsight I should have packed a bunch of those too!

Hi~Tide

Honorable member
I received 500 blueberries in the thinnest plastic available, but it also contained small pieces of foil from the blisters. Obviously done to save space, as the package was genius.

Dewpoint

Lapsed Senior Member
I had always wondered this myself. Quite an interesting read and should have posed this question myself many times before.
Always found myself with an air of suspicion around medication not in blisters, even the bottles have me a bit concerned at time. I suppose even blisters can be messed with also.

Hi~Tide

Honorable member
It’s okay with me, especially for large amounts. I’m not going to be mad one way or the other. It’s going to reduce the noise and the space. Some unidentifiable capsules in a bottle labeled for antibiotics is a perfect way to travel with them. Some small blue tabs require more ingenuity.😉

Bearhug

Eminent member
I always assumed the reason that the pills came loose from some vendors are for stealth packaging. I don't mind, as long as I get my order and the pills are fresh. The down side to this is you have to trust that your vendor sent the right medication. In many countries the pills have no markings, so you may not know for sure. I usually taste test to make sure, and I have been using Fentanyl test strips to make sure that what I receive hasn't been contaminated.

therms

Lapsed Senior Member
@Veejur I completely agree with your opinion and that of @Name taken . Like @name, I have dealt with companies in the past who packed the items loose (and neatly, safely) for extra stealth. I had already tried and trusted their products so despite initial wariness, I was okay with it and in my particular instance the items were the same potency, effect, and so forth. (I had checked the markings, although those can be falsified; but I was fairly certain given past experience that I had received the real thing. I kept them in an empty pill container.
However, overall I prefer blister packs and will request them if available - for safety of mind, the freshness + protection afforded, date stamp, and as I travel a lot, a blister which might be glimpsed in one's carry-on doesn't provoke a lot of second glances. However, please bear in mind that blisters can be faked, too, with the right stamps and wrapping. If I find myself needing to order any products between insurance coverage, I stick with the same trusty below-the-radar sources, or when considering a different company, I investigate the supply chain (google can be interesting). Trust is important: If the seller provides counterfeit products, they aren't going to hang on to their customers long (aside from the most information-naive and desperate and no, that is not a jab! many of us know the throes of desperation) and risk investigation/shut down. Not always. But establishing trust and a solid satsified customer base = longterm more & steady profit.

BigG

Honorable member
I think they were never in blisters as they are fakes maybe. I think anyway

MMH

Eminent member
It’s okay with me, especially for large amounts. I’m not going to be mad one way or the other. It’s going to reduce the noise and the space. Some unidentifiable capsules in a bottle labeled for antibiotics is a perfect way to travel with them. Some small blue tabs require more ingenuity.😉
Kirkland Sleep Aid tablets look almost identical to your small blue tabs

snappy711

Distinguished member
a reputable vendor that is used here by many takes the tabs out of the bottle and puts it in a small plastic bag along with the wad of cotton and puts it back in the original box for shipping. it also includes all the paperwork and most importantly, keeps things very quiet.

AdBlock Detected

Ad blocking browser plugins interfere with some features of this forum. For the best site experience please disable your ad blocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks