Your experience with Knee Replacement?

Recommended Pharmacies on Pharmacy Reviewer

alabraska

Hi All,

I just made another post requesting info on what you do to control osteoarthritis pain. I need a double knee replacement which I've been putting off because I have three young kids. If you have had a knee replacement, can you tell me about your experience? Here is what I need to know:

1. Did you have a single knee replacement or double knee replacement?
2. If a double knee, did you do both at the same time?
3. How long were you in the hospital and rehab?
4. How long did it take for you to be able to walk without a walker....using crutches or walking on your own etc.
5. How long were you in terrible excrutiating pain?
6. Any other advice you can give me? Best time of year to do the surgery etc etc?

THANK YOU!! I'm trying to make a plan and really appreciate your input!!

Gullible

Exalted member
I haven't had any of that but do need an ankle replacement. Very few doctors will do it. With knees you want to do one at a time, the worst one first. Then after a few months of recovery, do the other. Never do both at once, you get twice the discomfort and have to use a wheelchair. They will give you something for it but it is never enough. You may have to use an iop to supplement what the doc gives you. Sessions says people should use aspirin.

Daz

Distinguished member
Hi @alabraska and apologies it's taken me so long to respond to your post.

I have had both of my knees replaced, and will try to answer your questions. I had a gap of 12 months between the first operation and the second, you need several months to recover and do the exercises needed to ensure the replacement is successful.
I am in the UK, so was on a waiting list for several months, which added to the time between operations.

I would say it take's about three months to recover completely, but you can start to do quite a lot after 6 weeks. I returned to work 8 weeks after both op's, but couldn't do any lifting etc, so it depends on the job you have.

It is a painful procedure, which in my experience was managed by a Morphine Pump for the five days i was in hospital, and by Tramadol and Ibuprofen when I was at home. I didn't have any problems with being prescribed the pain meds I needed.

I had both my operations done in the Winter, which I think helped as you have to wear compression stockings for a month to prevent any blood clots, but they are hot. Also your knee will be swollen and hot, so cooler weather and ice packs help a great deal.

I hope this is of some use, but please ask if you have any questions and I wish you the best of luck. Daz x

yellnhollar

Honorable member
I had a knee replaced almost 2 months ago. It is painful and the physical therapy is hard on me cuz I have the other knee to do yet and now I get back problems because I walk differently.
If you get 2 knees done at one time you would need to deal with bedpans and have a lot of help. Probably a nursing home.
I'm having a hard time the home exercise. I'm either in too much pain to move or I'm too tired because I don't sleep. I know it is healing. I can get around with my new knee but there is residual pain.