What is/are Citric acid and Potassium citrate?
Potassium citrate is a potassium salt of citric acid with the molecular formula C6H5K3O7. It is a white, slightly hygroscopic crystalline powder. It is odorless with a saline taste.
As a food additive, potassium citrate is used to regulate acidity and is known as E number E332. Medicinally, it may be used to control kidney stones derived from either uric acid or cystine.
Potassium citrate is rapidly absorbed when given by mouth and is excreted in the urine. Since it is an alkaline salt it is effective in reducing the pain and frequency of urination when these are caused by highly acidic urine. It is used for this purpose in dogs and cats, but is chiefly employed as a non-irritating diuretic.
Potassium citrate is an effective way to treat/manage gout and arrhythmia, if the patient is hypokalemic. It is widely used to treat urinary calculi (kidney stones) and is often used by patients with cystinuria.[medical citation needed] A study of 500 patients with recurrent stones found that it reduced the frequency of stones from 2 per year to a half per year.
It is also used as an alkanizing agent in the treatment of mild urinary tract infections such as cystitis.
It is also used in many soft drinks as a buffering agent.
- Severe stomach pain, ongoing diarrhea or vomiting;
- Black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- Coughing up blood;
- Fast, slow, or uneven heart rate;
- Muscle weakness, pain, or twitching;
- Numbness or tingly feeling in your hands or feet, or around your mouth;
- Confusion, anxiety, weakness, mood changes, or feeling irritable;
- Swelling in your ankles or feet; or
- Seizure (convulsions).
Less serious side effects of citric acid / potassium citrate may include:
- Mild nausea, vomiting, or upset stomach;
- Mild or occasional diarrhea; or
- Appearance of a citric acid and potassium citrate tablet in your stool.
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Citric acid and Potassium citrate, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.